Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Old 10-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #31
rodr
IBA # 56746

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandLion View Post
I'd have to be home Saturday by 5pm or my ass is grass.

If we met in Oakland by 9am, and kept breaks to a minimum, think I'd be home by 5pm?

I really want to ride thru Hunter Liggett and do that dirt section (old coast road?).

When we hit 101, I can head home and you can camp or head to Mercy Hot Springs.

King City is 150 miles from my home. If we get to 101 by 2:30pm, I'll be fine.

That leaves 5.5 hours for lunch and a good ride. dicey....

what do you think?
Could do something like this, meeting near the top end of Skyline (point A) at 9am:

http://g.co/maps/tb2rs

That's about 7.5 hours of riding time, maybe a bit less, and hits Old Coast Road but misses the dirt roads below Naciemento-Ferguson. I would take a different direction around point B and you'd be on your own from there.

Allowing some time for lunch and gas stops that would be at the outside of your time limits. If you wanna do it, let me know and please suggest a specific meeting spot (I don't get down that way very much so don't know what's good).

Last edited by rodr; 10-21-2011 at 06:33 PM..
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #32
NowDatsLivin
Noob in Training

Contributor

Motorcycles: 06 GS500F, 06 Honda 599, 09 DR650, 76 Honda CB400F (sold way, way back in the day)
Name: Nicki
OK I just saw new posts with talk of an east bay route, and hey I'm flexible (gee, esp if ya gonna come thru Oaktown here) but here are my thoughts...

Hi Rod,
Okey-dokey so I'll join you tomorrow for the ride down...I'll be coming from Oakland, prolly over the Bay Bridge ... and heading down 280. If you know of somewhere good to meet up, along the early part of your route, just say the time and place. Hopefully somewhere with some hot coffee!
Let's see how far we get, I've been down to Santa Cruz on the MC but that's it, should be easy enough to get down to somewhere a ways south of Carmel, HiWay 1 sure gets gorgeous just south of there...and keeps getting better yeah...I will need to leave myself enough daylight to slab it back on home at some mid/late afternoon point...not gonna turn into a pumpkin or anything but prefer to get back before it gets too dark...
Cheers,
Nicki
NowDatsLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #33
rodr
IBA # 56746

Contributor + + + +

Nicki, here's a variation of the route above with a meetup point at a Starbucks in Oakland, point B on the map. Let me know if that's a good spot. Brad is out so looks like just you and me so far. I'm thinking 9am still but could do 8:30 if you prefer.

http://g.co/maps/jjhex

Old 10-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #34
Titus58
RIP Beasty Vstrom

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: DL1000 (gone), '06 Husky te610
Name: Tim
Hey Rod - there's now a chance to move my family deal to Sunday in which case I may be able to join you on Sat (and maybe my brother as well). We'd
meet you at 4 corners (intersection of Hwys 9 & 35) in the SC mtns.

So let me know what time you and Nicki decide to meet @ Oakland, and we can google map fr there to 4corners for a time est.

Like Nicki we'd be down for the day only, but don't have a hard stop return time...will keep you posted...
Titus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #35
rodr
IBA # 56746

Contributor + + + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus58 View Post
Hey Rod - there's now a chance to move my family deal to Sunday in which case I may be able to join you on Sat (and maybe my brother as well). We'd
meet you at 4 corners (intersection of Hwys 9 & 35) in the SC mtns.

So let me know what time you and Nicki decide to meet @ Oakland, and we can google map fr there to 4corners for a time est.

Like Nicki we'd be down for the day only, but don't have a hard stop return time...will keep you posted...
Cool! Here's a revised tentative route. Say KSU 0830 at point B, gets us to 4 corners by 1000, and leaves lots of daylight for the day ride. Nicki, 0830 OK?

EDIT: Nicki confirmed 8:30 at B, so we'll be at 4 corners by 10:00.

http://g.co/maps/n25d7

Last edited by rodr; 10-21-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Old 10-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #36
rodr
IBA # 56746

Contributor + + + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I am doing none of the above - visiting my recently deceased friend's family, then canning pears & gardening with a friend who works weekdays .... I am lame.
Maybe you could do all that Sunday...
Old 10-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #37
Titus58
RIP Beasty Vstrom

Contributor + + + 1%

Argh...I'm still TBD and it's killing me...

Agreed let's plan on 10am at 4corners - if I can go I will be their early...I'm riding a DL1000 vstrom, silver and black with black helmet and ATGATT.

If I cannot swing the whole day I may still join you guys for the first few hrs down the coast...supposed to be low 70s at least in Santa Cruz tomorrow ....and I was gonna bash Oakland Lion for bowing out...

If I don't join you guys, have an AWESOME
Old 10-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #38
rodr
IBA # 56746

Contributor + + + +

Orange DL650, red textile jacket, silver helmet. Hope to see you there!
Old 10-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #39
rodr
IBA # 56746

Contributor + + + +

Photos and Ride Report: 1 of 3

Now here's what really happened.

We had some fails, and a ton of fun. The actual route for me ended up like this, and I'll refer to the stopping point letters in the narrative below:

Note you can zoom in and drag the map around as desired, or even click on the Google logo in the bottom left to get all the details.

On to the story.

Weestrom all packed up, aired up and gassed up. I leave Fairfield (point A) at sunrise.

Arriving at the Emeryville Starbucks (B) to meet Nicki, a surprise bonus - Ed is joining us!

Over the Bay Bridge we go...

... we eventually make it to Skyline Drive ...

... and meet up with Tim at Four Corners (C) a little before 10:00.

This is just to prove I was there too.

Now Tim reports that there is heavy traffic on Highway 9, and offers to lead us on a better route to the coast. We quickly agree, and he leads us on down 35 and then through some very twisty back roads around the Lexington Reservoir!

Heading for the reservoir.

Taking a break at the reservoir.

Nicki being Nicki.

Continuing the detour.

I start getting creative with reflections.

Notice I managed to get all four of us in motion in a single picture.

Last edited by rodr; 05-11-2015 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: Fix for Google Maps suckage
Old 10-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #40
rodr
IBA # 56746

Contributor + + + +

Photos and Ride Report: 2 of 3

Arriving at our lunch destination (D) in Santa Cruz. Metered moto parking!

It's on the beach.

Tim, you couldn't finish that orange slice?

Having used every last minute of our metered parking, we proceed on down the coast. Ed and Tim break of at highway 152 to go back to their family obligations. Nicki and I, enjoying more freedom, continue Southward.

And here is where the failures begin.

First failure, no camping for me. At brunch I decided to bag it because (1) a long day trip would allow me to see most of what I wanted to see anyway, and (2) camping solo means 13 hours of darkness with nothing to do other than sleep! As I write this a little after midnight in my comfy chair at home eating a dish of ice cream instead of shivering in the dark, I'm thinking I made the right decision.

Lookin' good Nicki!

Second failure, no dirt.

We stopped at what I thought was the Bixby Bridge, which marks the beginning of Old Coast Road. However it was the Rocky Creek Bridge instead.

Nevertheless, a fantastic photo opportunity!

Last edited by rodr; 10-23-2011 at 07:07 PM..
Old 10-23-2011, 12:55 AM   #41
rodr
IBA # 56746

Contributor + + + +

Photos and Ride Report: 3 of 3

Then we press on...

... looking for the Bixby Bridge and Old Coast Road ...

... but we never saw either!!

And having gone so far at this point ...

... we proceed onto Nacimiento Ferguson Road ...

... and somehow ...

... everything seems just fine.

These pictures ...

... do not do that road justice. It's got to be among the best roads I've ever ridden!

Nicki picks up the pace, and starts to leave me in the dust.

And now we get to failure #3, at (G) on the map. The Google directions from the original map included this:

37. Continue onto Co Rd G14/Jolon Rd
38. Turn right to merge onto US-101 S

What they didn't say is which direction on G14! Now when I'm on a motorcycle reading step-by-step directions, I'm not also looking at a map. So I went East on G14, not even noticing that it also went North.

Then we got to the intersection of G14 and 101. I dutifully turned right onto 101 South.

Nicki didn't leave the intersection. I stopped and motioned her to follow. She still didn't leave.

I go back and we talk. She's certain that is not the right way. How about that, she's right. I can only guess that she's feeling as annoyed as I am now, and we go North on 101 to pick up the route over to highway 25.

Then we have point (I). Not really a failure, but an annoyance. Google directions say "Continue onto Co Rd G13/Lyons St." Due to no road markers it was not clear if this meant to "continue" North or East. I stopped to evaluate. Nicki wants to get home with as little darkness as possible, and does not seem to like the notion of stopping... ... but we talk for a minute and agree (correctly) that East is right.

Once on 25 we are treated to some awesome views.

It became less awesome when we got stuck behind a string of Harleys.

It will be getting dark soon.

We stopped for gas near Gilroy, Point (J). We'll be slabbing it home now. Should we stop for dinner in Oakland? Nicki thinks that may be a good idea, she'll think of a place as we ride and I'll follow her.

Which brings us to point (K) and failure #4. Traffic comes to a dead stop with no end in sight, and we start some serious lane sharing. Nicki is pretty good at it, but we don't do much lane sharing in Solano County. So I'm slow and careful, and soon she's out of sight. This goes on for a few miles. I clear the wreck that caused it all and speed on, but no Nicki.

Oh well. 680 is my shortest way home and I remember that there are leftovers in the fridge to be eaten, so I give up on dinner with my charming companion and finish the long slab home.

Well, I've never had that much fun while screwing up. Thank you Nicki, Tim and Ed!

Last edited by rodr; 10-23-2011 at 08:09 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #42
bmer97
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 BMW R1150R Roadster
Name: T
Excellent report and photos.

Thank you!

https://youtu.be/CrGOs1a1lOk
bmer97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #43
Titus58
RIP Beasty Vstrom

Contributor + + + 1%

Hey Rod - great report and pictures!

It was a pleasure meeting you, Nicki, and Ed and taking you along some of my favorite SC mtn roads together...and yeah, brunch on the beach in Capitola with moto-only parking was pretty awesome...

Bummer about not being able to find the dirt roads...I've had the same thing happen even if I've got a good map...sometimes nothing beats firsthand experience Glad you guys found Hwy25 - it is an awesome road indeed

Looking forward to riding together in the future...I'm just hoping the rainy season holds off until mid-November so I can get a few more dirt rides in

/Tim
Old 10-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #44
Titus58
RIP Beasty Vstrom

Contributor + + + 1%

Quote:
I stand corrected: those weren't great pictures, they were awesome dude Seriously

I particularly liked the reflection ones...and yeah, I shoulda finished my orange slice...my bad...
Old 10-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #45
rodr
IBA # 56746

Contributor + + + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmer97 View Post
Excellent report and photos.

Thank you!
Thank you for the comment!

Quote:

It was a pleasure meeting you, Nicki, and Ed and taking you along some of my favorite SC mtn roads together...and yeah, brunch on the beach in Capitola with moto-only parking was pretty awesome...

Bummer about not being able to find the dirt roads...I've had the same thing happen even if I've got a good map...sometimes nothing beats firsthand experience Glad you guys found Hwy25 - it is an awesome road indeed

Looking forward to riding together in the future...I'm just hoping the rainy season holds off until mid-November so I can get a few more dirt rides in
Tim, the pleasure was mine. It was great to ride with someone who knows the area so well! Riding with you again would be awesome.

Quote:
I stand corrected: those weren't great pictures, they were awesome dude Seriously

I particularly liked the reflection ones...and yeah, I shoulda finished my orange slice...my bad...
Aw shucks, thanks again! By the way your choice for the lunch stop was fantastic.