Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Net-Moto   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Website / Geek Speak

Old 07-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Racism on barf - RIP Threads - FYI

We have felt these two items come up and disturb folks before and I wanted to share my views on each.... Since I am the do or don't guy ultimately and these are tough topics for users and moderators I felt this was a good thing to do once again.

This happened to play out in an RIP thread so both are interlinked.

We will do racism first:
Quote:
Originally Posted by random barfer
I am expecting that you banned xxxxx for his racial comments
There is no TOS that says if you are a racist you will be suspended, but racism is covered in several areas within the TOS and those are the tools that we use to curtail it. Using the race card in any personal attack towards another member is going to get you suspended and likely on a watch list for continued actions.

Personally I like to know who is who and if one seems to be such, it is a good thing to know.

We have several factors that are going on with racism that makes it a hard nut to judge. A lot of folks are very comfortable with joking about their race and do so often. They are also comfortable playing about it with friends too.

I have many times gotten a reported post when "damn asians" is used.. and yes it is true and it was posted....by... well an Asian and some other Asian takes offense and points the race finger.

Same thing with other members who embrace their race and are totally cool with poking at themselves and others in the same way. I have said so before and I will say it again. The diversity and acceptance here and in the Bay Area is an amazing thing and I feel great about living in an area like that and also about see many races enjoy fun together.

Motorcycling is a unique sport in ways because we are very diverse individuals who partake and we also have a confidence to do so. This is a part of the people who do it that I love...not afraid to live.

So basically racist statement if not address at a barf member are not going to get you suspended. Repeated statements about such may mean a banning. If I feel your views and actions more importantly are causing harm to my friends or barf members or the barf community itself I can remove you.

Most times however we see the members self moderate here and while we are tolerant with each other in general, tolerance for people who are closed minded on societal concepts of acceptance is quick to be identified and any long term example of such staying active on the board just are not there to my knowledge. Some what appear to be racist may just be a bias. We all have those to live with and some are a part of our internal defense mechanism and won't go away without personal interaction and experience. The offensive post in this discussing may just be a bias in that area for a certain type of driver, but not towards an entire race of people. Shade of gray make it tough to interpret correctly.

There are lots of things to moderate here and racism can be such a gray area for the members we would find it next to impossible to address the reported posts that would likely come in.. asking for suspensions, bans etc.

RIP Threads:

This one is stay respectful please in threads about motorcyclist. Stay on topic.. share grisly details or discussions on what he did or not do right or wrong in a different thread.

We have seen many threads start with an RIP .. find its way from condolences to public ridicule of the rider and then have the rider turn out to be a community member, or dear friend of one, or have their parent join or brother and this community look like a piece of doo because of crass remarks and the lack of respect for another rider, son, mom, dad, etc..

We don't know much usually and jumping in with remarks that end up making you look stupid.. are! Think it through.. like "Would my Mom like to read what I want to post.. about me?"

We are discussing the above within the MC and we may choose to edit out overly stupid or insensitive comments. We don't like to edit anything, but there may be times when it is the right thing to do. **We did a minor edit in the thread where the quote came from**. We would prefer that our users acknowledge their own mistakes and delete offensive posts.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453

Last edited by Enchanter; 02-17-2015 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: edit
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Hooli
Gets around

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Yep.
Name: El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
We have felt these two items come up and disturb folks before and I wanted to share my views on each.... Since I am the do or don't guy ultimately and these are tough topics for users and moderators I felt this was a good thing to do once again.

This happened to play out in an RIP thread so both are interlinked.

We will do racism first:

There is no TOS that says if you are a racist you will be suspended, but racism is covered in several areas within the TOS and those are the tools that we use to curtail it. Using the race card in any personal attack towards another member is going to get you suspended and likely on a watch list for continued actions.

Personally I like to know who is who and if one seems to be such, it is a good thing to know.

We have several factors that are going on with racism that makes it a hard nut to judge. A lot of folks are very comfortable with joking about their race and do so often. They are also comfortable playing about it with friends too.

I have many times gotten a reported post when "damn asians" is used.. and yes it is true and it was posted....by... well an Asian and some other Asian takes offense and points the race finger.

Same thing with other members who embrace their race and are totally cool with poking at themselves and others in the same way. I have said so before and I will say it again. The diversity and acceptance here and in the Bay Area is an amazing thing and I feel great about living in an area like that and also about see many races enjoy fun together.

Motorcycling is a unique sport in ways because we are very diverse individuals who partake and we also have a confidence to do so. This is a part of the people who do it that I love...not afraid to live.

So basically racist statement if not address at a barf member are not going to get you suspended. Repeated statements about such may mean a banning. If I feel your views and actions more importantly are causing harm to my friends or barf members or the barf community itself I can remove you.

Most times however we see the members self moderate here and while we are tolerant with each other in general, tolerance for people who are closed minded on societal concepts of acceptance is quick to be identified and any long term example of such staying active on the board just are not there to my knowledge. Some what appear to be racist may just be a bias. We all have those to live with and some are a part of our internal defense mechanism and won't go away without personal interaction and experience. The offensive post in this discussing may just be a bias in that area for a certain type of driver, but not towards an entire race of people. Shade of gray make it tough to interpret correctly.

There are lots of things to moderate here and racism can be such a gray area for the members we would find it next to impossible to address the reported posts that would likely come in.. asking for suspensions, bans etc.

RIP Threads:

This one is stay respectful please. Stay on topic.. share grisly details or discussions on what he did or not do right or wrong in a different thread.

We have seen many threads start with an RIP .. find its way from condolences to public ridicule of the rider and then have the rider turn out to be a community member, or dear friend of one, or have their parent join or brother and this community look like a piece of doo because of crass remarks and the lack of respect for another rider, son, mom, dad, etc..

We don't know much usually and jumping in with remarks that end up making you look stupid.. are! Think it through.. like "Would my Mom like to read what I want to post.. about me?"

We are discussing the above within the MC and we may choose to edit out overly stupid or insensitive comments. We don't like to edit anything, but there may be times when it is the right thing to do. **We did a minor edit in the thread where the quote came from**. We would prefer that our users acknowledge their own mistakes and delete offensive posts.
Well said on both counts Dennis.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant AFM #677 Craig Hightower AFM#868 Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM #13 Miri/Lylith
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
JackTheTripper
Shotline For Mod

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Coming... Some day... Maybe.
Name: PersnlInfo

Be a BARF Contributor!

97% of BARFers you meet are going to be really cool. I don't want to be in that other 3%. ~ Donoho
imo garlic doesnt have enough garlic. ~ rljetsetradio
You two, play poker. The rest of you can talk about horse cocks. ~ morthrane
JackTheTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Beauregard
Aut Agere Aut Mori

Contributor +++ 1%
1%

Location: There’s a corner of my heart that is yours. And I don’t mean for now, or until I’ve found somebody else, I mean forever. I mean that whether I fall in love a thousand times over or once or never again, there’ll always be a part that belongs to you.
Motorcycles: are like girls.
Name: Barclay
Common sense yo.

Thanks D.
SOPHOS Store
Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
NoGall

AMA #: 690440
BARF Admin
Founding Member
BARFies '06, '08, '10, '14
Contributor ++++BB

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name: Tom
NoGall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++2%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
I agree. I don't like racism on BARF, however, as Dennis pointed out, it let's you know how to pick and choose friends and enemies. There are a half dozen BARFERs I stay away from.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
i_am_the_koi
Be Here Now

AMA #: 2823804
Contributor + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + 8%

Motorcycles: 2005 Concours 2002 KLR
Name: The Koi

Koi's Adventure Journal
Buy a Misfit Patch
i_am_the_koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
two wheel tramp
STFU and ride

AMA #2771957
BARF Moderator
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + 2% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: Trinity 6fiddy race bike & Steffi
Name: Triple R
Thanks for bringing this up. I'm convinced that the poster in question is not someone with whom I want to associate. I feel like it's up to members to, at times, remind others to be more sensitive /thoughtful in their posts. There have been a few rip threads where family or friends have posted and made it clear that they found rude posts hurtful. I've sent a few pm's to them to reach out and let them know we're not all like that.

Again, it may be the innernets but that doesn't give us a free pass to forget our manners.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Beauregard
Aut Agere Aut Mori

Contributor +++ 1%
1%

Location: There’s a corner of my heart that is yours. And I don’t mean for now, or until I’ve found somebody else, I mean forever. I mean that whether I fall in love a thousand times over or once or never again, there’ll always be a part that belongs to you.
Motorcycles: are like girls.
Name: Barclay
Nobody knows I'm white.
SOPHOS Store
Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
weak_link
Hugh Jasole

Mod Alumni
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Multistrada 1200S Touring
Name: Eric
Thanks, Bud.

Save the ta-ta's
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
dtrides
Veteran

Contributor ++++ + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono Factory
Name: Duncan
What!!! We have other races HERE?!? I thought only the human race was allowed to post... I guess I don't read all the threads though...
Thanks for steering the ship Budman.
DT
Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Entoptic
Red Power!

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Name:
I thought the only race here was the motogp! Seriously though, is it possible to make a RIP section to minimize the exposure to asshattery?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++2%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
Nobody knows I'm white.
honky azz mofo
Old 07-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
sanjuro
Rider

Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000
Name: Steve
I actually enjoy racist threads.

I'm fairly confident about my own racial identity not to be offended by racial comments.

Actually, I think it is especially funny when some idiot tells me how race X is inferior.
sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
Marcoose
50-50

AMA #: 2818042
Contributor +

Motorcycles: '03 CBR954RR-ish
Name: Marc
Good stuff, Dennis, but...

Quote:
There is no TOS that says if you are a racist you will be suspended
It should. Same for distasteful sexism and other types of discrimination, like age. It's #1 reason I can't be a BARF contributor.

Quote:
I am the do or don't guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_the_koi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_the_koi View Post
Screw that, it didn't take nearly as long for the Indians to learn to stay on their side of the line's.... and those line's are where we tell them to be.