Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Moto Photos & Videos

Old 05-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #16
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
i don't see any pictures of ribs. i am sad.

neat project as always!
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #17
viva_brasil
Veteran

Contributor +++++++++++++++

Motorcycles: naked italians.
Name: Nik
Updated the first post - looks like we're moving soon, so will need some time to set up the new space. Will put a pause on the gatherings until we're settled into the new space... Working on the hairy parts of the build so it's hopefully smooth sailing when it comes to final assembly, to facilitate beer+ribs multi-tasking.

Exhaust: the 749 subframe and frame don't like the 1198S termi system... it all fits up to the last 1-2 split after the up-pipe (this is a 2-1-2 system). That's also where the exhaust valve sits, so I chopped that section off before the valve (it was permanently open, but having an empty pipe is better). Will need to get a new 1-2 pipe fabricated so I can keep the beautiful Termi cans. I personally love the dual pipes under the 749 tail, making purists cringe.

Can't see well but the pipe is all up on the frame and subframe and can't quite fit to the manifolds:

I'm gonna cut you:

Better:

Purists look away:

The panigale stacks and injector holders should be here this week. For the airbox, considering making a plug inside the frame using expanding foam and some acrylic sheet as boundaries. Just need to mount up the stacks and injectors to mark my minimum dimensions.

Wiring harness labeling and routing is on the to-do list as well (got a new harness since original was all messed up). Hoping the 1198S harness will work with the 749 battery tray / relay, VR, solenoid holder thingy.

Builds:
MonsterStrada
999S
Honda VTR1000F
2VSBK
798S
viva_brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #18
jumph4x
Do more, bitch less.

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: KTM 1290 SMR
Name: D
Keep us posted.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #19
viva_brasil
Veteran

Working on throttle bodies and airbox design....

Here's the 1198S velocity stack, injector is molded onto the airbox shell...

So then I chopped the stack off to preserve the base (which the airbox bolts onto):

And then I took a 1199/1299 Panigale velocity stack and injector holder and bolted that onto the chopped 1198S stack / base:

And it fits beautifully under the XX9 tank:

Next I'm planning on using some expandable foam to create a plug for a new airbox mold which will bolt onto these modified stacks and fit within the XX9 frame and tank constraints. The 1198S stack base will need to be port matched to the wider panigale stack as well.

Builds:
MonsterStrada
999S
Honda VTR1000F
2VSBK
798S

Last edited by viva_brasil; 05-21-2017 at 11:10 PM..
Old 05-23-2017, 05:04 AM   #20
RRR70
The Gun Guy

AMA #: 1019218
Friendly Ukrainian Gun Dealer
BARFIE winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ! +++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++BB

Motorcycles: KTM 1190 - orange pig. 2005 FXSTI
Name: Roman
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCoastBias View Post
Crashing supersports and ziptie'ing the head light back on does not count.
Is it time for the revolution?
Steven Hempler 12/02/2010
"I don't go around looking for trouble, but I'm ready when trouble comes looking for me."
RRR70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #21
viva_brasil
Veteran

Last little updates before the move... Trying to get the airbox plug and mold done since it'll be impossible to do with a bunch of people.

Using the chopped / modified velocity stack bases to make a plug for the bottom of the airbox plug... which the expanding foam can adhere to when making the entire airbox plug:

Sanded and started taping off:

Glued onto a backing plate to make it easier to lay up and more surface for the foam to bond to:

Both done:

And some clay to smooth out the flange that doesn't matter for the airbox design (only the inner flange is what really matters for the bottom fitment):

Gel coat, coupling coat, and backing / reinforcement going on:

And finally pulling the mold, cleaning it up, and finishing them:

Now the fun part - making the airbox plug:

Just did a small foam pour to test everything and will be pouring the rest today. Once the foam is poured I'll pull it out and sand the sh*t out of it to get to a more airbox-y shape. I'm also planning on grafting the top airbox inlets into the foam. That will then be my new plug to make a mold out of for a final carbon fiber airbox.

Builds:
MonsterStrada
999S
Honda VTR1000F
2VSBK
798S
Old 05-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #22
viva_brasil
Veteran

Wow it's been a while... finally got some time recently to get this wrapped up. The bike is getting an exhaust section welded and then it'll pretty much be finished.

The most complex part is the airbox... After completing a full custom airbox plug (that I could use to make a mold and at least a few airboxes), I made a mistake with the mold-making... I was actually planning to just pull the part straight off the plug, but I was too ambitious and didn't apply enough mold release. Anyway, I fixed it by growing the plug, but then wasn't sure if it would even work and became impatient.

So decided to try something else - and just join two sections of airboxes together (bottom is 1198 airbox and top is 999 airbox, using the 999 flange on the bottom) using the same ABS plastic that the airbox is made of. I just used a soldering iron and a sheet of ABS plastic to fill the gaps between the airboxes.

The first step was to trim down the 1198 airbox bottom section and cut the bottom flange off the 999 airbox. Then mount the 1198 section in the bike, and position the 999 section (with the 999 top box screwed on) to where it fits and lines up with the intakes. I then used pieces of corrugated polypropylene and hot glue to hold the 999 flange in position. Once the plastic filler sections are "welded" on, the hot glue'd polypropylene pieces can be removed.

Other things that had to be done:
-- Wire in injector pigtails for Panigale injectors into 1198 harness
-- Adapter plate for gauge cluster
-- Mounting plate for traction control sensor (in tail)
-- Mounting plate for exhaust
-- Extend traction control wiring harness
-- Replace gauge cluster connector (clip was broken)
-- Wire in correct blinker connectors
-- Extend horn wire
-- Extend coolant radiator hose (used a section of aluminum tubing)
-- Trim battery mount plastic for hose
-- Cut and modify exhaust Y-pipe section that leads to mufflers (otherwise the rest of the 1198 exhaust fits perfectly if using the 1198 swingarm)

Airbox - bottom of the 999 airbox held in position with the polypropylene on top of the bottom of the 1198 airbox - starting to "weld" the ABS filler piece:

Had to make a "cut out" section for the frame crossmember on the XX9 frames

Mounted up

This is the fun part: the 999 box actually goes under the 1198 box in the back, used a heat gun extensively to mold the ABS and fold it up backwards.

Various little mounts / adapter plates and wiring stuff:

And final pics before dropping off at the welder:

Builds:
MonsterStrada
999S
Honda VTR1000F
2VSBK
798S
Old 05-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #23
viva_brasil
Veteran

Also the group build concept never really worked out like I had imagined, most of the work involved melting plastic... If it was truly just assembly maybe it could work.

I have another frame and engine combination ready to go after this one - a 900SS motor and the donor 749 frame / front end / swingarm. Thinking of just a naked streetfighter / cafe racer setup which should be more "pure" assembly.

Will probably use FB to coordinate that... another learning point - forum isn't great for managing events

Builds:
MonsterStrada
999S
Honda VTR1000F
2VSBK
798S
Old 05-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #24
PLexo50

Motorcycles: Mts1200
Name:
PLexo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #25
viva_brasil
Veteran

Alright some final pics now that she's finished up. Just getting the tune / map sorted out for the microtec, and will get the 1198S Ohlins forks mounted once the 56mm lower triple clamp gets here. They're scratched from the accident that the 1198S had, but the frame neck took all the damage and forks are straight internally.

Here's the traction control mount, and the trimmed passenger seat bottom where it was interfering with the traction control sensor:

And a license plate and LED rear tail light mount made from SS sheet and TIG'ed to the exhaust mount

Builds:
MonsterStrada
999S
Honda VTR1000F
2VSBK
798S