Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
DonniBoi
User & Abuser

Motorcycles: 96' Buell S1
Name: Mud!
Registering out of state bike in CALI

hi guys i bought a bike out of state and ive been told i HAVE TO go get it verified at CHP but yet DMV does car verifications all the time.

has anyone had luck getting DMV themselves to do it so i can go in and get my plate NOW. i have to wait till next month for a CHP appointment.

im willing to drive a bit to a rural office.
DonniBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
thedub
Make good choices.

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800
Name: Wiles
Told by who?

The DMV can do your VIN inspection. That's the only way I ever did it for all vehicles (when I still lived in CA).
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|K@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
DonniBoi
User & Abuser

ive been told by dmv and chp ill need to bring it to CHP for the vin inspection. but DMV workers have admitted they can do a verification.

in my area they always send me to CHP to do it.

but ive only had cars verified by DMV worker, never at CHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Told by who?

The DMV can do your VIN inspection. That's the only way I ever did it for all vehicles (when I still lived in CA).
Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Alan_Hepburn
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1994 GL1500SE
Name:
When I bought my Gold Wing it had an Oregon title - I rode it over to the DMV office in Los Gatos and the nice lady there verified the VIN and sent me inside to pay the taxes and get my plate - took about 45 minutes total...
Old 06-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
DonniBoi
User & Abuser

just my luck

well i may throw it in the truck and drive up north to get it looked at. my tires will be here today and i dont even have an out of state plate with tags to ride it with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
When I bought my Gold Wing it had an Oregon title - I rode it over to the DMV office in Los Gatos and the nice lady there verified the VIN and sent me inside to pay the taxes and get my plate - took about 45 minutes total...
Old 06-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #6
DonniBoi
User & Abuser

I hate this states government BS sooo much.

Drove to fort Bragg DMV. Lady said to the other you can do it if it's not an Harley and they still told me I have to go CHP
Old 06-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
orbframe
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2017 FXDLS, 2016 Concours14, 1997 FLHT, 1987 VFR700F2
Name: Dan
what did you buy out of state? are you trying to do something more than a simple REG31 VIN Verification form?

Last edited by orbframe; 06-13-2018 at 08:34 PM..
orbframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
DonniBoi
User & Abuser

My new buell. A 1996... Just the reg 31 verification form. Dmv refused to do it. Said I have to get CHP to do it
Old 06-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #9
DonniBoi
User & Abuser

Wish me luck. A call to my local CHP office saying dmv wouldn't do it and my 5hr round trip drive to a rural DMV netted me some pitty. Officer said if I got in there in 30min he could do it. Crossing fingers
Old 06-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #10
Frame Maker
Veteran

Motorcycles: sportbikes, dirtbikes, and some odd bikes that I've built myself.
Name: Julian
This probably doesn't help, but for the sake of conversation, I've been told (by DMV agent) that the supporting documents (or lack of) is what determines if the inspection gets referred out to CHP or done at the DMV office.

A friend of mine recently built a home-made motorcycle and was able to get someone at the local PD to do the inspection. So might be worth asking your friendly neighborhood LEO (I'd have proper DMV forms in hand when asking).
Frame Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #11
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 S, 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
Name: .
Try and find a 3rd party Vin Verification near you.

I used these guys. https://www.californiacartags.com/vin-verification

I was in and out in 20-mins. I then took my Reg 31 form to DMV and walked out with my plates.

Cost was $50

Sure I could have done it for free at CHP or DMV, but I didn't have time to wait.
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:35 AM   #12
DonniBoi
User & Abuser

Dmv told me those guys couldn't do it because it's an out of state bike but I call BS.

Thanks for all the help. I was able to get CHP to verify it. Sad thing is AAA won't let me complete the process even though I have everything done and paid everything.

All the DMV offices within 1 hour away have huge lines. In a rural Town like Ukiah there was a 2 hour wait time listed online. I drove to fort Bragg to a tiny little office in a strip mall, two windows. 4 people and I still waited 30min

Your tax dollars at work
Old 06-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #13
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 S, 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonniBoi View Post
Dmv told me those guys couldn't do it because it's an out of state bike but I call BS.

Thanks for all the help. I was able to get CHP to verify it. Sad thing is AAA won't let me complete the process even though I have everything done and paid everything.

All the DMV offices within 1 hour away have huge lines. In a rural Town like Ukiah there was a 2 hour wait time listed online. I drove to fort Bragg to a tiny little office in a strip mall, two windows. 4 people and I still waited 30min

Your tax dollars at work
Bs for sure. The reg 31 explicitly states that an authorized agent can fill it out.
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #14
DonniBoi
User & Abuser

http://imgur.com/gallery/YziLzml
Old 06-28-2018, 05:55 AM   #15
ateamer
Escaped from CA

Motorcycles: H-D Road Glide
Name:
We just moved to Florida. Registering the car and bike was easy. Go to a tag agency (private business authorized to do vehicle registration) or the county tax assessor, pay the fees and walk out with your reg and plate in hand 15 minutes later. I bought a brand new Toyota Tacoma; the dealer did the reg and attached the license plate. Registration - on a 2018 Tacoma - was $229. Renewal will be less than half of that.

Getting our DLs was easy, too. Walk in to a busy DMV office - the line was to the door - and both of us walked out half an hour later with our Florida DLs. DMV employees are friendly and helpful.

Gas is a dollar a gallon less. FDOT and the county keep the roads in fantastic shape.

We called the county about a mosquito issue. Four hours later, a mosquito abatement worker was here and got on it right away. Not because he had to, because he wanted to.

Yeah, the roads are straight and flat. It’ll be a day and a half ride to get to anything resembling hills, and a couple of long days to get to mountains.

Last edited by ateamer; 06-28-2018 at 05:56 AM..
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote