Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner > AFM Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #61
stangmx13
not Stan
 
stangmx13's Avatar
 
Contributor
BrotoGP

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego CA
Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchap08 View Post
Can we shed some light on how all of this will work out before the weekend? For those who race multiple formula races. Does one time count for both races or are they directly affiliated with the qualifying session associated with that particular Formula race?
i was just thinking about this again.

it doesn't make sense to have 1 time count for 2 separate QPs. say I sign up for FP and F1 and I only qualify in FP. I could use a literbike, which isnt eligible for F1 and should be faster. sure, I could "promise" to only use a bike that is eligible for both. but AFM would have a hard time policing that.

maybe a regulation could say "if signed up for more than one Formula class, the slowest class qualifying time can count for all qualifying sessions". so an F1 time counts for FP, but an FP time doesn't count for F1. but itd prob just be easier to say that u must qualify in both.

of course, none of that fixes anything if someone signs up for Formula races that are combined into the same QP. I have no idea how many racers that affects.
__________________
BrotoGP Podcast and on Youtube
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #62
rjbrittain11
923 Track Junkie
 
rjbrittain11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bay Area
Motorcycles: 2010 KTM 690 SMC - Street, 09 R6 - Track
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
i was just thinking about this again.

it doesn't make sense to have 1 time count for 2 separate QPs. say I sign up for FP and F1 and I only qualify in FP. I could use a literbike, which isnt eligible for F1 and should be faster. sure, I could "promise" to only use a bike that is eligible for both. but AFM would have a hard time policing that.

maybe a regulation could say "if signed up for more than one Formula class, the slowest class qualifying time can count for all qualifying sessions". so an F1 time counts for FP, but an FP time doesn't count for F1. but itd prob just be easier to say that u must qualify in both.

of course, none of that fixes anything if someone signs up for Formula races that are combined into the same QP. I have no idea how many racers that affects.
It does show one time slot for the Formula qualifying but from the looks of things it will be broken up into groups. Formula II/III qualify at the same time for 10 minutes, Formula IV/I qualify at the same time for 10 minutes, and FP qualifies by themselves for 10 min, all equalling the 30 minute time slot.
rjbrittain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #63
stangmx13
not Stan
 
stangmx13's Avatar
 
Contributor
BrotoGP

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego CA
Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbrittain11 View Post
It does show one time slot for the Formula qualifying but from the looks of things it will be broken up into groups. Formula II/III qualify at the same time for 10 minutes, Formula IV/I qualify at the same time for 10 minutes, and FP qualifies by themselves for 10 min, all equalling the 30 minute time slot.
ya, them being separate groups was a core assumption for my post. I think lilchap08 is making the same assumption.
__________________
BrotoGP Podcast and on Youtube
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #64
Holeshot
Super Moderator
 
Holeshot's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Walnut Creek
Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchap08 View Post

Does one time count for both races or are they directly affiliated with the qualifying session associated with that particular Formula race?

In regards to who can run in qualifying and who can not. Can you sign up for a formula race and NOT run practice sessions on Saturday AND still run qualifying on Saturday? If you're in a formula race you have a chance to qualify Saturday afternoon. If you miss qualifying you're sent to the back of the grid for the start of the race Sunday?

For clarity if you're not signed up for the race(s) you're not allowed to run qualifying. Or am I missing something?

I know a lot of questions but I was hoping to address it all from an overall perspective that others may be asking. Its not meant for any specific class or specific individual.
One time for each Formula class. Multiple sessions would be needed if in multiple Formula races. Each class will have it's own qualifying session and time.

Racers will have to sign up for practice to utilize qualifying for Formula classes. If not signed up for practice, then such a rider will grid in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbrittain11 View Post
It does show one time slot for the Formula qualifying but from the looks of things it will be broken up into groups. Formula II/III qualify at the same time for 10 minutes, Formula IV/I qualify at the same time for 10 minutes, and FP qualifies by themselves for 10 min, all equalling the 30 minute time slot.
Correct. I do like Robert's idea if one is running multiple classes, but that's something the BORD hasn't contemplated. Will bring it up at the March meeting.
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #65
stangmx13
not Stan
 
stangmx13's Avatar
 
Contributor
BrotoGP

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego CA
Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Racers will have to sign up for practice to utilize qualifying for Formula classes. If not signed up for practice, then such a rider will grid in the back.
Not cool
__________________
BrotoGP Podcast and on Youtube
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:44 PM   #66
thedub
Make good choices.
 
thedub's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2952025

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Racers will have to sign up for practice to utilize qualifying for Formula classes. If not signed up for practice, then such a rider will grid in the back.
I said it on Facebook and I'll say it again here: That is bullshit.

The idea that you can enter a race that uses a qualifying session to establish grid position, but your entry fee does not buy you participation in said qualifying session, is preposterous.
__________________
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|K@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #67
lilchap08
AFM or Bust
 
lilchap08's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Jose, Ca
Motorcycles: 2010 Yamaha R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
I said it on Facebook and I'll say it again here: That is bullshit.

The idea that you can enter a race that uses a qualifying session to establish grid position, but your entry fee does not buy you participation in said qualifying session, is preposterous.
a great idea turned to a heavily flawed one. Its not all that applicable to me as I always sign up for practice but for some folks I know its a bit harsh.
lilchap08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #68
Holeshot
Super Moderator
 
Holeshot's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Walnut Creek
Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
I said it on Facebook and I'll say it again here: That is bullshit.

The idea that you can enter a race that uses a qualifying session to establish grid position, but your entry fee does not buy you participation in said qualifying session, is preposterous.
We didn't raise the price of the race, but did take time from the practice day for it. This is not a different policy from the rule for Formula Pacific, FWIW.

We don't see many riders that do not ride practice and if they do, they miss the entire Saturday. Asking riders to grid up for a single 5-6 lap qualifying session with no previous time on track and set their best lap time...that sounds like a horrible idea.

Last edited by Holeshot; 03-07-2018 at 06:34 PM..
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #69
FourThreeSix
Tall Guy on a Little Bike
 
FourThreeSix's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pleasant Hill
Motorcycles: Are-Sixxah
Name: Gordon
Yeah, but... because send it.
FourThreeSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #70
2wls4ever
Rookie
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Felton (Santa Cruz mountains)
Motorcycles: 2007 Yamaha R6 2015 honda nsf250r
Name: FITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
We didn't raise the price of the race, but did take time from the practice day for it. This is not a different policy from the rule for Formula Pacific, FWIW.

We don't see many riders that do not ride practice and if they do, they miss the entire Saturday. Asking riders to grid up for a single 5-6 lap qualifying session with no previous time on track and set their best lap time...that sounds like a horrible idea.
I didn't ride Sat practice last year and then you made riders that raced Sat. after Sonoma. Why the heck does somebody need that much practice and have to pay for it during the race weekend? Blowing it! Paid practice should be reserved for the Friday before incorporated into a track day.

This is not going to increase the participation and numbers to grow the club. Sorry.

Perhaps a requirement of the board members could fall in line with other organized sports series which is they should be required to attend another club series once a year to compare and contrast.
2wls4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #71
Holeshot
Super Moderator
 
Holeshot's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Walnut Creek
Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wls4ever View Post

Perhaps a requirement of the board members could fall in line with other organized sports series which is they should be required to attend another club series once a year to compare and contrast.
Many of us do just that. Personally, I'm in contact regularly with 3 other club administrators (for lack of a better word). Last night was a 45 minute call with CVMA on this very subject. One thing to consider; the days of "practice saturday/ race sunday" may be truly over. That means as a club we have some options; cut back some races and only race on one weekend day, race on both days with a full schedule of races (Ala CVMA) or run an open trackday on Saturday and races on Sunday.

Note; we're TRYING things and working to get a better day/ product for our racers. The club has been asking about qualifying for all the non-FP riders since we gave FP qualifying grids. The thing is, there's no free lunch really. Time on track is $$$ and if we give that away for free, we're not making the most of our weekend. It does suck, but there's a balance between fresh and new and paying the bills.

Either way, we DO see these conversations almost every year before round 1. Pe race season jitters maybe, but none the less, at the end of the weekend it's always smiles and racers accepting the changes as a good thing while giving us some ideas to build on the new changes. We commonly work to incorporate those changes as well.

Let's see how this weekend works out. The weather is showing rain for Friday which means the practice thing may be moot. Qualifying sessions for grid spots; 5-6 laps to make it happen? Sign me up!

Last edited by Holeshot; 03-08-2018 at 08:16 PM..
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #72
thedub
Make good choices.
 
thedub's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2952025

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
One thing to consider; the days of "practice saturday/ race sunday" may be truly over. That means as a club we have some options; cut back some races and only race on one weekend day, race on both days with a full schedule of races (Ala CVMA) or run an open trackday on Saturday and races on Sunday.
Yes. That's what I'm talking about. Do that.

Step 1: Trim the fat.
We don't need like 5 classes for 600s and little bikes. We don't need classes that only have like 2-5 racers each round. We don't need a separate class for every odd ball bike that someone wants to race. Get rid of all that garbage.

Step 2: More racing.
Now that you have a trim, concise schedule, run it back to back Saturday and Sunday.

More racing, less practice. That's what every other club on the West coast does.

If people need practice, that's what track days are for. God knows there are enough of them with 4 different track day providers servicing Northern California. Race weekends should be for racing.

I would much rather pay the same entry fees that I do know, but get 4 or 5 races and no practice.
__________________
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|K@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #73
lilchap08
AFM or Bust
 
lilchap08's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Jose, Ca
Motorcycles: 2010 Yamaha R6
Name: Robert
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Yes. That's what I'm talking about. Do that.

Step 1: Trim the fat.
We don't need like 5 classes for 600s and little bikes. We don't need classes that only have like 2-5 racers each round. We don't need a separate class for every odd ball bike that someone wants to race. Get rid of all that garbage.

Step 2: More racing.
Now that you have a trim, concise schedule, run it back to back Saturday and Sunday.

More racing, less practice. That's what every other club on the West coast does.

If people need practice, that's what track days are for. God knows there are enough of them with 4 different track day providers servicing Northern California. Race weekends should be for racing.

I would much rather pay the same entry fees that I do know, but get 4 or 5 races and no practice.
I do agree with this 100%. When I was a new racer I didnít and it was because I wanted more time to learn and adjust with my bike.

Having never been to cvma in CW direction I would have liked more time with practice but I wouldnít hav needed 5 practice sessions.

In Short 3 practice sessions + qualifying seems to be a pretty solid compromise if itís able to be implemented. Most folks only run 4 practice sessions as is if Iím not mistaken.

Again just thinking out loud
lilchap08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #74
stangmx13
not Stan
 
stangmx13's Avatar
 
Contributor
BrotoGP

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego CA
Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Either way, we DO see these conversations almost every year before round 1. Pe race season jitters maybe, but none the less, at the end of the weekend it's always smiles and racers accepting the changes as a good thing while giving us some ideas to build on the new changes.
Are u concerned that maybe itís all smiles because the racers you most negatively affected just didnít show up? Ever look at any sign-up data to see how policy changes are affecting retention?
__________________
BrotoGP Podcast and on Youtube
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #75
Holeshot
Super Moderator
 
Holeshot's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Walnut Creek
Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
We don't have exit interviews so it's hard to know what racers don't return. The majority of the time, based on vocal questions are due to finances or life issue; not how the club is ran/ proclivities of the race day. That's not to say we can't always do better, but it is to say that the racing seems to be the most important thing and IMO, the AFM does an excellent job at that part.

We have helicopters, ambulances, a crew with 20 years experience for many, quality tracks and trophies and overall, a very well respected club in the national club stage. So yeah...when you finish an AFM race, it's an achievement. Smiles.

Am I concerned that racers don't show up? yeah, every single event.
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.