Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner > AFM Forum

Old 02-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
Jac Ryann
Rookie

Motorcycles: NCR Leggera 1200
Name: JR
new 2018 equipment requirements?

So I'm thinking about signing up for NRS and doing some racing this year. Went over the 2017 Rulebook on AFM site. From talking with people, I understand there are some new requirements for 2018 that's not in the 2017 Rulebook? Such as:

- brake-lever guards
- case guards
- sprocket covers
- etc.

Anyone has a link to where I can find the "official" list?

Thanks
Jac Ryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
csik magnet

Motorcycles: 02 F4i, 07 1098s, 02 XR250, 00 XR400, 16 VStrom 1k, 08 R6
Name: Nick
I don't think an official list of changes has been published.
From digging around here on BARF and emailing Paul Kieffer (AFM chief tech inspector), the only tech changes from what's published in the 2017 rule book are:
*Brake lever and rear sprocket/toe guards are now required. (from Paul: "We don't have any set requirements on brands, but they do need to be functional.")
*Oil filters must be OEM

Everything else tech-wise is the same as 2017. The case guard requirement is in the 2017 rulebook as well, see the Appendix A checklist on page 60 for what makes/models require them.

Hope that helps, I'm starting racing this year too and I went/am going through all this same stuff.
I do wish the information was all easily accessible in one central webpage or document or something though. I wonder how many people won't be 2018 legal at Rd 1 because the AFM hasn't published these changes anywhere obvious.

Last edited by csik magnet; 02-28-2018 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: typo
csik magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
KazMan
2012 Fifty is Nifty Tour!

Barf Racer / BARF Moderator
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: anything I can throw my leg over
Name: Eric
Some of it has come out to members via e-blasts. However, we started last year and will be continuing the practice of using tech bulletins throughout the years to update and archive any changes which will be available on the soon to be rolled out website. fwiw
KazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
Jac Ryann
Rookie

Motorcycles: NCR Leggera 1200
Name: JR
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazMan View Post
Some of it has come out to members via e-blasts. However, we started last year and will be continuing the practice of using tech bulletins throughout the years to update and archive any changes which will be available on the soon to be rolled out website. fwiw
Not sure if that can help make it easy for new racers like me since I've just developed interest in racing. So I wouldn't have been member on any sites or have registered on any email-lists to have received these bulletins before becoming interested in racing.

Kinda like Terminator's retroactive abortion idea...

Last edited by Jac Ryann; 03-08-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Jac Ryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
KazMan

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac Ryann View Post
Not sure if that can help make it easy for new racers like me since I've just developed interest in racing. So I wouldn't have been member on any sites or have registered on any email-lists to have received these bulletins before becoming interested in racing.

Kinda like Terminator's retroactive abortion idea...
This webpage can be a lot of help http://afmracing.org/contact-us
Old 03-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
csik magnet

Motorcycles: 02 F4i, 07 1098s, 02 XR250, 00 XR400, 16 VStrom 1k, 08 R6
Name: Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazMan View Post
This webpage can be a lot of help http://afmracing.org/contact-us
Eric, I'm not saying that contacting the AFM and getting the answer "straight from the horse's mouth" is a bad idea, but I don't think new racers should be expected to know that they need to ask if the rulebook currently published on the AFM website is accurate. It's not obvious at all that there are changes to it. Maybe a note under the rulebook download link with 2018 changes would be helpful.
Hell, the website has a "Getting Started" section! That might be a good place to post info that new members like Jac and myself would need to know.
csik magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
KazMan

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Hey Nick, There's going to be a new website released very soon and I think that we did address your issues above. However, I think the current link at the website says 2017 Rule Book, and yeah...we're late releasing the 2018 rulebook and trying to answer as many questions as come into email.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
velazcod
'15 S1000RR

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW S1000RR 2015 Honda Grom
Name: Daniel
I have previously raised concerns about this with the BOD and the confusion potential new riders have these days.

If the AFM needs to get new riders to stay afloat, this needs to be prioritized and fixed as soon as possible.
AFM #986

Sponsors: Sidi, Shoei, Racer Gloves USA, Hustle Hard Racing, Carbonin, SBS, Vortex, Catalyst Reaction, GoPro, Pedro Point Brewery, SJ BMW, 02creation
velazcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #9
cg_ops
1-Armed Bandit

Motorcycles: Sumo?
Name: 1ArmdBndt
I've been working with seasoned racers to get my WR250 sorted for my first year in AFM and it's STILL confusing as hell.
cg_ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #10
jtiisto
Rookie

Motorcycles: Street: Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring 2014 Race: Triumph Daytona 675R 2014
Name: Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg_ops View Post
I've been working with seasoned racers to get my WR250 sorted for my first year in AFM and it's STILL confusing as hell.
You aren't alone. I've raced for year and half now, and I am still confused and haven't managed to get answer to questions I've had along the way. I just stopped asking. I know people who have volunteered to help with the rulebook have been turned away too so I guess that's the way it is.

Err on the side of caution, bring extra parts, just do what others are doing.
jtiisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
jaybocc2
o lento

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
My strategy is to just race, and worry about whether or not i'll get disputed/disqualified for when i stop coming in last place...
AFM #705
youtube.com/jaybocc2
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #12
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybocc2 View Post
My strategy is to just race, and worry about whether or not i'll get disputed/disqualified for when i stop coming in last place...
good idea, with one caveat. still worry about the things that'll stop u from passing tech. that way u have a smooth morning and don't have to run around the pits asking random racers to borrow a brake lever guard or an oil filter hose clamp or something.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #513
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex OptimalRacing
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
jaybocc2
o lento

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
FYI, here was the word as sent in Dec/17/2017 from chief tech inspector

Quote:
Hi All,

Below please find the confirmed rule changes for the 2018 season.

8.1.1 Motorcycles that are equipped with a spin on type oil filter may only use OEM oil filters.

8.1.7 Motorcycles must be equipped with brake lever protection, intended to protect the handlebar brake lever from being accidently activated in case of collision with another motorcycle. The Chief Technical Inspector has the right to refuse any guard not satisfying this safety purpose.

8.1.13 A chain guard (also known as a Toe Guard or Shark Fin) must be fitted in such a way as to reduce the possibility that any part of the riders body may become trapped between the lower chain run and the rear wheel sprocket.

These rules will be incorporated in the 2018 Rule Book.

The 2017 Rule Book, with these 3 additions can be used to prepare for the 2018 season.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

pkieffer@afmracing.org

****There will be rules changes to accommodate the new Ninja 400.

We are working to get those to the membership as soon as possible, and will send a detailed E-blast once confirmed.
AFM #705
youtube.com/jaybocc2
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #14
jtiisto
Rookie

Motorcycles: Street: Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring 2014 Race: Triumph Daytona 675R 2014
Name: Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
good idea, with one caveat. still worry about the things that'll stop u from passing tech. that way u have a smooth morning and don't have to run around the pits asking random racers to borrow a brake lever guard or an oil filter hose clamp or something.
Caveat comment is fair. However, it's the best you can do with messed up _2017_ rulebook.
jtiisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #15
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: CB125T, VF500F, CBR600RR,
Name: Danno
One thing I haven't seen posted here is slight modification of 2017 rulebook Appendix-A. CASE GUARDS are now required across the board for all bikes, not just the models listed in 2017 Appendix-A. You see numerous references to Appendix-A in 2018 rulebook. Go to end and where's Appendix-A????
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote