Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner > AFM Forum

Old 06-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
How to know when you're ready to race?

My goal is to ultimately start racing. I was wondering how many of you found you were "ready" and started racing?
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

Motorcycles: are fun
Name: Kegan
Could ride at a fast B-group pace without feeling like I was *really* pushing it. Didn't feel uncomfortable in close quarters with other riders or when being passed unexpectedly. Had more fun dicing it up with other track-goers than just cruising around by myself, and started feeling the desire for competition creep in.

If you feel affected by any of these issues, don't worry, you are not alone. Just call 1-800-AFM and sign up for the NRS school TODAY!
Kegan -- '12 MTS1200ST -- '15 CB500F -- '09 WR250X-SM -- IBA #41999 -- AMA #3283468 -- AFM #895
My Ride Reports! -- BARF Terms of Service
sckego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally Whacker View Post
The key to knowing when you're ready to race is carefully examining your bank account and calculating how many tires you could buy if you eat only ramen for the next year.
Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Pretty much this

I was racing probably before I was "ready" in terms of pace - but I was consistent and safe for the faster people to pass, so being out there wasn't an issue. I only did a Saturday race until my pace was below the suggested times for the other classes.

"Ready" is a loose definition. Some people get out there and start going competitively fast very quickly. Others of us take a little longer. A few others are content to get out there, enjoy the competition, but aren't worrying about trophies. If you want to go out there and be winning in short order, that's a different criteria than being able to pass an NRS and grid up for the fun of it.

As long as you're safe, consistent, and predictable, chances are you're probably "ready" because those things don't come without a certain level of experience and skills, even at a slower pace.
Well, coming in last isn't fun, lol, but i'm fairly comfortable with the fact that i will not come in first either.
I just had a racer say this last weekend at BW that "if you're not ready by now you'll never be ready"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Spies Fan View Post
I went and did a few track days and would have my dad take lap times for me. I then went on the AFM website and looked at race times for bikes similar to mine to see where I could finish. Initially i would have been in last place but track day times are much slower than what you will do in a race.

I only did 4 days on the track (the 3rd days was my NRS) and then went racing. If you pass the NRS then that means you are ready but just be aware that racers are very very fast compared most track day riders. Also, remember to have fun when racing in your first year..the speed will come.
per buttonwillow times, i am a snail and will come in last place across the board for my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
Could ride at a fast B-group pace without feeling like I was *really* pushing it. Didn't feel uncomfortable in close quarters with other riders or when being passed unexpectedly. Had more fun dicing it up with other track-goers than just cruising around by myself, and started feeling the desire for competition creep in.

If you feel affected by any of these issues, don't worry, you are not alone. Just call 1-800-AFM and sign up for the NRS school TODAY!
I was running A pace my first weekend at laguna and fast B my first weekend at BW.

I'm looking forward to getting out to THill for a ken hill 2 day school this month and seeing how i progress from there and i will probably sign up for the NRS after some additional feedback from PTT/KW coaches on my preparedness for racing (fact: im not prepared) and some (successful i hope) negotiation with the wife.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
easter bunny
Amateur Hour

Motorcycles: Pink Huffy, yo.
Name:
I'll just add a big +1 to everything everyone here has said. I wasn't ready based on pace or times, but I dove in anyway. Just like the first track day where you realized how slow you were on the street, you'll start to drop lap times very quickly once you get the hang of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybocc2 View Post
Well, coming in last isn't fun, lol
Nah, it's still pretty fun! I do it every round! If you'll be using that gen1 in the races you'll find a few more of us in Legacy.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Quote:
I'm looking forward to getting out to THill for a ken hill 2 day school this month and seeing how i progress from there and i will probably sign up for the NRS after some additional feedback from PTT/KW coaches on my preparedness for racing (fact: im not prepared) and some (successful i hope) negotiation with the wife.
were you able to attend a 2 day ken hill school? what did you think about it?

how have negotiations with the wife been impacted, considering recent events?
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
were you able to attend a 2 day ken hill school? what did you think about it?
I thought the 2 day school was great. Tons of 1:1 time, 45 minute on track sessions with alternating classroom sessions with Ken Hill.

My only complaint was that it was 112 degrees out and we couldn't get more than 3~4 laps in without tempting fate with extreme heat exhaustion. It was, however, really good at finding out where my weak points were as during the excessive heat i would do things like fade in and blow my apexes.

The next time i went to thill east i shaved off 9 seconds from my pre-school laptimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
how have negotiations with the wife been impacted, considering recent events?
Yeah, i manage to even secure a new ride for next year. The wrecked bike is now a spare parts bike.

And i'll be picking up an alpinestars gp suit with the A* air vest for next season since i planned on getting a hit-air this winter but they cut my suit off me before they loaded me up for my 'copter ride.

I will race next year again for sure. I just hope i don't lose too fitness and progress from this injury.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Quote:
I thought the 2 day school was great. Tons of 1:1 time, 45 minute on track sessions with alternating classroom sessions with Ken Hill.

My only complaint was that it was 112 degrees out and we couldn't get more than 3~4 laps in without tempting fate with extreme heat exhaustion. It was, however, really good at finding out where my weak points were as during the excessive heat i would do things like fade in and blow my apexes.

The next time i went to thill east i shaved off 9 seconds from my pre-school laptimes.
that sounds amazing, minus the heat of course

Quote:
Yeah, i manage to even secure a new ride for next year. The wrecked bike is now a spare parts bike.

And i'll be picking up an alpinestars gp suit with the A* air vest for next season since i planned on getting a hit-air this winter but they cut my suit off me before they loaded me up for my 'copter ride.

I will race next year again for sure. I just hope i don't lose too fitness and progress from this injury.
nicely done re: negotiations! and good idea about the airbag suit, that is def on my list

i am looking to do nrs, what is the best way to do it?

stay up with your PT and ken hill podcasts and you'll be charging out of the gate...or at least do better than 2k bog starts (that will be me next year )
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
easter bunny
Amateur Hour

Motorcycles: Pink Huffy, yo.
Name:
Quote:

I can commiserate. I just missed buying a hit air and had what I thought was an easy off at THill last round. Busted my collar bone and ended my weekend. X-rays showed I basically shattered it and had to go for surgery.

Look into a tech air or D air suit versus a vest. The suits will protect your collarbone better. Vest is more made for head and chest impact from what I see. I'm not sure they would have saved me but it sure as hell would have helped.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
#1Spies Fan
Veteran

Motorcycles: 08 R6 race Bike, SV650s street bike
Name: Patrick
I went and did a few track days and would have my dad take lap times for me. I then went on the AFM website and looked at race times for bikes similar to mine to see where I could finish. Initially i would have been in last place but track day times are much slower than what you will do in a race.

I only did 4 days on the track (the 3rd days was my NRS) and then went racing. If you pass the NRS then that means you are ready but just be aware that racers are very very fast compared most track day riders. Also, remember to have fun when racing in your first year..the speed will come.
#1Spies Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
thedub
Make good choices.

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800, KTM 500
Name: Wiles
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #11
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
If you are seriously asking and can afford it..
See above.

Does Flying low to the ground, Elbow to elbow with other like minded asphalt aviators sharing smiles, thrills and enjoying epic moments in life sound good??.
See above

You will get faster over time and if you start now you will be faster sooner if you really apply yourself.. and even if you don't 100% you will fricking love it.

So if you are not a total riding rookie .... see above and DO IT.

My 2 cents.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #12
Tally Whacker
Veteran

Motorcycles: BMW S1000R
Name:
The key to knowing when you're ready to race is carefully examining your bank account and calculating how many tires you could buy if you eat only ramen for the next year.
Tally Whacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #13
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street)
Name: AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally Whacker View Post
Pretty much this

I was racing probably before I was "ready" in terms of pace - but I was consistent and safe for the faster people to pass, so being out there wasn't an issue. I only did a Saturday race until my pace was below the suggested times for the other classes.

"Ready" is a loose definition. Some people get out there and start going competitively fast very quickly. Others of us take a little longer. A few others are content to get out there, enjoy the competition, but aren't worrying about trophies. If you want to go out there and be winning in short order, that's a different criteria than being able to pass an NRS and grid up for the fun of it.

As long as you're safe, consistent, and predictable, chances are you're probably "ready" because those things don't come without a certain level of experience and skills, even at a slower pace.

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2018 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Kawasaki USA Team Green; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Catalyst Reaction; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #14
Daredevil
Modest Max

Motorcycles: 08 r4.5 race, 01 ninja 250 street
Name:
if you're asking, you're probably ready.
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #15
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: 2017 Alta Shiftless, 06R6, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406, 05 TM530 Black Dream plated
Name: Butch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil View Post
if you're asking, you're probably ready.
that's good.
I always hung with the backmarkers and had lots of fun dicing with folks that were my speed. I didn't mind being lapped by quicker dudes (Budman). This was a while ago, but i can't imagine it has changed that much. Racing is (and should be) different than a track day.

Do it. If you keep your cool and don't fall down, there is nothing to lose and much to gain by the experience, even if it is short lived.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote