Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner > AFM Forum

Old 12-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #16
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
I do recognize that the small bikes are the future of AFM racing for now, and that needs to be addressed.

Vintage has always been hit or miss.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:02 AM   #17
duh_ave
Veteran

Motorcycles: xr250l, cr250r, Ex AFM 933, 532, 49
Name:
the rule of thumb we used when I was working with rules stuff, was that if the class couldn't fill two rows, it would be considered for chopping.
Vintage should have been, if it hasn't, made a special event and only run once or twice per season (I haven't followed any of this for 3-4 years now)

The best bet for all of you is to get involved. It was always difficult to make decisions when hardly any of the players would comment , much les participate in the research and making of these rules changes.

Ya, those brake pads get pretty expensive. That's part of what I meant about racing vs. just doing track days. Why waste a perfectly good brake pad if you aren't trying to win a trophy.

"It's frustrating if you're a microbe that's been wandering the Universe for a million years to then die striking the surface of Europa," --Dr Gladman
duh_ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #18
Martin
Veteran

Motorcycles: CBR954RR, RC211V(airbike)
Name:
I intend to race in 2019 but can't promise it. You (the BODs) should consider matching MA's rules (except for the homogenization BS) for their Twins class, name it "MA Twins", and promote it as the super accessible club level stepping stone to race Nationals.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #19
scratchpad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bagger
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by synfinatic View Post
I'd also suggest keeping 650TW (and by proxy 700SS) since MA Twins grid is crazy big and even if they don't come and play with us, one of the stated goals I've heard for the AFM is to be a stepping stone to MA. The only way for AFM members to do that is to:

1. Run a bike which is legal in both AFM and MA
2. Race (preferably as many races as possible)

Removing classes which are stepping stones to MA doesn't fit with that stated goal.

Also, we're gridding 650TW w/ 450SB and there aren't many other classes which make sense to grid with 450SB from a safety perspective so you're basically leaving money on the table.

Lastly, yes, I'm coming back for 2019 so that's one more entry for 650TW that wasn't there in 2018.
MA Twins grid is far from crazy big on the West Coast. East Coast is a different story. 650 Twins are still a thing most everywhere else where the 450 quirkles have become a thing here.

FIV mimicks MA Twins best as of now with qualifying for grid position. Though, theres still the same old song and dance about adding laps to it. Its supposed to be a premier class so treat is as one. Running a 6 lap sprint is far from a 11-13 lap MA race. FIV has potential to be a stepping stone class.

I have ZERO confidence in anything AFM does anymore. Like one other poster mentioned you cant even get a response from anyone. Ive had the same issues in the past. Perfect example, 12+ months ago the online application process was supposed to be a thing. Its still not a thing.

I could give a rats ass if they chop the classes ive always raced in. Nobody shows so get rid of them. Ill show up for FIV and spend the rest of my money with other clubs.

Good to hear you, Mickey and Pat are coming back.
scratchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #20
scratchpad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bagger
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
1) Do I need to get my deposit back for the aprilia rs 660?

Patrick
afm 180
So, is it still a concept or is there a delivery date? Inquiring minds want to know.
scratchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #21
GoGo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: not a one
Name:
Open Twins goes I may go with it. Only class my bike actually fits, and barely at that.

Perhaps eliminating classes that are light on AFM entries now isn't the only possible solution. After all just about every AFM class has gone light on entries depending on your perspective. Do we really want to offer less opportunities to race your favorite motorcycle?
GoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #22
Hammerin'Hank
On a nail...

AMA #: 2809843
Barf Sponsored Racer
Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, RC390, R1200GS
Name:
Personally I don't see the point in making a class for every bike.

No one likes racing in empty, or light classes. It's boring to watch, boring to ride, and everyone gets a trophy. I know a lot of us are millenials, but it's silly.

Personally I'd like to see the AFM consolidate classes and make it so there are not nearly as many. Make fewer classes, longer races, and if you want to race -- buy a bike that fits into one of the classes. Or don't race.

I stopped racing with the AFM because of the million classes, novice classes for each million classes, a billion trophies, and the lack of racing because of it.

Limit the classes, reduce the number of races and increase the length of races that do stay, and see what happens.

Now, which classes you ask? No idea, I don't have the data to make that decision.
Hammerin'Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #23
GoGo
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
You do it long enough and the desire to buy just any bike to fit just any class loses its draw. Ten years in, if you last that long, even the newest 600 seems old. So you start building weird shit to race, and when you win on weird shit let me tell you thereís no feeling like it. Twenty years in, if you last even longer, you become weird shit racing weird shit. And somehow thatís even better. I canít define thirty years in just yet, but Iím trying, and this canceling cool classes thread is weird shit.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #24
Hammerin'Hank
On a nail...

AMA #: 2809843
Barf Sponsored Racer
Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, RC390, R1200GS
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo View Post
You do it long enough and the desire to buy just any bike to fit just any class loses its draw. Ten years in, if you last that long, even the newest 600 seems old. So you start building weird shit to race, and when you win on weird shit let me tell you thereís no feeling like it. Twenty years in, if you last even longer, you become weird shit racing weird shit. And somehow thatís even better. I canít define thirty years in just yet, but Iím trying, and this canceling cool classes thread is weird shit.
GoGo, you're a fucking animal though. Us mortals are not.
Hammerin'Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #25
SVJ
Where'd my bike go?

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1000+300+150+50=:)
Name: -J
I was planning to pick up an SV this weekend and return to AFM next year. Is there going to be a class?
SVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #26
synfinatic
Wannabe Fast Guy

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Duzucati 650, wr250f
Name: Aaron
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVJ View Post
I was planning to pick up an SV this weekend and return to AFM next year. Is there going to be a class?
BoD kept all the classes. The SV will be legal for all the same classes it was last year.
AFM #22
http://synfin.net
Thanks to everyone who sponsors me:
Spears Enterprises | Catalyst Reaction | CTRacing | Helimot | Woodcraft | Motion Pro | Armour Bodies | Motorex | EBC Brakes | GP Frame & Wheel | Raceimage Graphics | Pega Precision
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you being subtle." ó Linus Torvalds
synfinatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #27
GoGo
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by synfinatic View Post
BoD kept all the classes. The SV will be legal for all the same classes it was last year.
Best news, cause the last guy to call me a fucking animal had just beat me in Open Twins by eleven feet, for the third time... Those marks don't wash out easy.

Thanks synfinatic
Old 12-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #28
synfinatic
Wannabe Fast Guy

Contributor + + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo View Post
Best news, cause the last guy to call me a fucking animal had just beat me in Open Twins by eleven feet, for the third time... Those marks don't wash out easy.

Thanks synfinatic
You gonna be sound legal for Sears this year? :-P

Seriously though, what you said above really hit home with me. I'm knocking on 10 years with the AFM now and I don't think I would of stayed around this long if I was riding on the same bike as the guy next to me.
AFM #22
Spears Enterprises | Catalyst Reaction | CTRacing | Helimot | Woodcraft | Motion Pro | Armour Bodies | Motorex | EBC Brakes | GP Frame & Wheel | Raceimage Graphics | Pega Precision
Old 12-27-2018, 07:40 PM   #29
GoGo
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
I've got that and more in the works for this KTM. Sound is just the start. Spears has the motor and Gerry the swingarm. Learned some fascinating stuff about suspension this fall that I should share. So much motorcycle knowledge around here.

I hear you on the ten year mark brother. New challenges, weird bikes, big twins, whatever it takes. Racing grows with you if you let it.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #30
synfinatic
Wannabe Fast Guy

Contributor + + +

I'm picking up my motor from Gregg on Monday. Can't wait to drop it in the frame and put it on the dyno and see what we've got.

I'd definitely read what you've learned on suspension. I've been reading all I can on the subject and still find it ~50% black art.
AFM #22