Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner > AFM Forum

Old 02-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
csik magnet

Motorcycles: 02 F4i, 07 1098s, 02 XR250, 00 XR400, 16 VStrom 1k, 08 R6
Name: Nick
Aftermarket Master Cylinders in Superstock?

Hi everyone,

First year racing, I'm trying to make sure all my ducks are in a row for Round 1.
2008 R6 with an aftermarket master cylinder, I can't figure out if I'm Superstock 600/750 legal from the wording in the rulebook.

9.1.6(a) states hand and foot controls can be replaced (are master cylinders considered hand/foot controls??).
9.1.6(b) then immediately states that brake reservoirs must remain stock, but doesn't mention master cyls. Is that rule supposed to cover the master as well?
The only specific mention of "master cylinder" is in 9.1.6(r)(vi) which only applies to 9.1.6(r) (pertaining to using aftermarket rotors).

So, from how I'm reading the rulebook it seems like I can use an aftermarket master as long as I have a stock reservoir and stock rotors. Am I interpreting the rules wrong? I don't want to drop $100 on a stock M/C if I don't have to, but then I don't want to be ineligible for 2 of my races if I'm wrong.

I emailed Paul but I'm sure he's busy and I'm running low on time to get ready.

Thanks in advance!
csik magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
MC must be stock for Superstock classes, AFAIK. My 2017 Rulebook says aftermarket MC are allowed in Open Superstock though.

I know when it was called “Production” the MC had to be stock.

Last edited by Nick; 02-23-2018 at 09:16 AM..
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
csik magnet

Thanks for the quick reply Nick. Looks like I'll be grabbing a stock unit on ebay then.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street)
Name: AJ
Open SS are allowed aftermarket MCs, the other classes (600, etc) are NOT. If you're not in the right section, yes, it's very confusing as I ran into that myself in 2016.

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2018 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Kawasaki USA Team Green; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Catalyst Reaction; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
csik magnet

Thanks AJ. The way the rules are laid out the allowance for aftermarket MCs in Open SS only applies to the aftermarket rotors rule, it's definitely confusing.

Even more confusingly, the 2015 rulebook 9.1.6(b) states "Hand/foot controls do not include brake master cylinders and brake reservoirs which must remain absolutely stock." In 2016 and onwards they removed the "brake master cylinders" verbage from that rule; that should make them legal!

I installed a stock unit because I think that's the intention and the way the rules will be applied, but it's not the way the rules are written right now.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street)
Name: AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by csik magnet View Post
Thanks AJ. The way the rules are laid out the allowance for aftermarket MCs in Open SS only applies to the aftermarket rotors rule, it's definitely confusing.

Even more confusingly, the 2015 rulebook 9.1.6(b) states "Hand/foot controls do not include brake master cylinders and brake reservoirs which must remain absolutely stock." In 2016 and onwards they removed the "brake master cylinders" verbage from that rule; that should make them legal!

I installed a stock unit because I think that's the intention and the way the rules will be applied, but it's not the way the rules are written right now.
Ya, it's really confusing, I haven't looked too closely at the 600 stuff since early 2016 (which was probably still the 2015 rule book). Last year had to read up on a few sections for the Open bikes, but again, it's pretty convoluted.

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2018 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Kawasaki USA Team Green; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Catalyst Reaction; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
frozenuts
I make words too.

AMA #: 2860804
Barf Racing Photo Guru
Contributor + Barf Brick

Motorcycles: A revolving stable of press machines.
Name: Other Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by csik magnet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Ya, it's really confusing, I haven't looked too closely at the 600 stuff since early 2016 (which was probably still the 2015 rule book). Last year had to read up on a few sections for the Open bikes, but again, it's pretty convoluted.
If I am remembering the meeting that brought on the change correctly, it was altered to mirror MotoAmerica's rulebook. It is also a safety thing as stock big bike masters kinda suck for the most part.

If you ever wonder what tech will be looking at you can always email the head honcho of tech.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #8
jtiisto
Rookie

Motorcycles: Street: Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring 2014 Race: Triumph Daytona 675R 2014
Name: Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenuts View Post
If I am remembering the meeting that brought on the change correctly, it was altered to mirror MotoAmerica's rulebook. It is also a safety thing as stock big bike masters kinda suck for the most part.

If you ever wonder what tech will be looking at you can always email the head honcho of tech.
That explains it. I always wondered what's so special about keeping the reservoirs stock. Not like you get a big gain from changing them.

Anybody here then knows if the MCs can be changed or not?
jtiisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
csik magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiisto View Post
That explains it. I always wondered what's so special about keeping the reservoirs stock. Not like you get a big gain from changing them.

Anybody here then knows if the MCs can be changed or not?
I never heard back from the chief tech inspector but the consensus seems to be that MCs cannot be changed in the Superstock classes (with the notable exception of Open Superstock where it is explicitly legal).
Old 03-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
fortyonethirty
concussed

Motorcycles: 05 zx-10r
Name: Ian Tanner
If I am not mistaken, the r6 comes with a pretty good MC. I'm pretty sure bryce prince ran the stock one, and he did ok.

And unless you start competing for expert class wins, I don't think anyone will protest. I know I wouldn't.
AFM #718

Last edited by fortyonethirty; 03-05-2018 at 10:02 AM..
fortyonethirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:02 AM   #11
Corey
GPz550 Addict

Contributor

Motorcycles: '03 SV650 (Race Bike) '85 GPz550
Name: Corey
If it doesn't state you can, then you cannot. If you read that it is allowed but are unsure, still ask before you change anything, just to be safe.
AFM #44
Motion Pro, TWF Racing, CT Racing Pirelli, Fastline Cycles, Racer Gloves USA, Race Image Graphics, Galfer, CRS Tuning, TWELV51 Racing, Driven, Zero Gravity, Oxymoron, Dynojet, K&N, SPEEDMOB.
Mater: You know, I once knew this girl Doreen. Good-looking girl. Looked just like a Jaguar, only she was a truck! You know, I used to crash into her just so I could speak to her.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #12
csik magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
If it doesn't state you can, then you cannot. If you read that it is allowed but are unsure, still ask before you change anything, just to be safe.
Thanks Corey. My issue was that the rules are ambiguous as to whether it's explicitly stated that you can change them or not (I'd say master cylinders fall under the category of "hand and foot controls" which are allowed to be changed, and they're definitely not brake reservoirs so they're not disallowed).
FWIW I contacted the AFM on this but still haven't received a response; I'm sure there's more pressing items to get finished before Rd 1 though.
It sounds like the wisdom here is that they need to be stock (carryover from Production class rules of yesteryear), so that's what I'm going with.