Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner > AFM Forum

Old 02-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
Med23
Goin' Gorilla

Motorcycles: 2015 R1
Name: Mike
Wow, thanks Berto. This is definitely useful for me and the other new racers.

I do have one question though. You mentioned setting up on Friday when gates open. I'm guessing there are some people who don't actually camp at the track, but stay at hotels and such. I am lucky enough to have family in Bakersfield that I stay with whenever down at BW, so I kinda fall into that category. What do these racers do? Do they set their spot up and just leave it overnight (with bike and all), or do they generally just set up on Saturday morning? If the former, have there been any security issues with people's stuff being tampered with or taken?

Thanks again for posting this thread. Definitely an Uber-Sticky!
AFM #85 - Racer on Vacay
Med23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
hitman5532
The Anti-Squid

Motorcycles: Got a few....
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Med23 View Post

I do have one question though. You mentioned setting up on Friday when gates open. I'm guessing there are some people who don't actually camp at the track, but stay at hotels and such. I am lucky enough to have family in Bakersfield that I stay with whenever down at BW, so I kinda fall into that category. What do these racers do? Do they set their spot up and just leave it overnight (with bike and all), or do they generally just set up on Saturday morning? If the former, have there been any security issues with people's stuff being tampered with or taken?

yes, often people will set up the night before and leave it. Almost never does stuff get tampered with, but it has happened, so be smart on what you leave in the wide open, and check your suspension settings in the morning.

Since your new to the paddock people won't reconize if the guy touching your bike is you or not, it is best to introduce yourself to a neighbor who is staying through the night and let him know you are the only who will be touching it, and ask if he can help keep an eye out.

I generally set up in morning, but have set up the night before at infineon. I usually set up in the morning because I never make it to the track until later ( school and work make my leave time a little late)
AFM #861 #140 My racing webpage: Stage1Racing.com and blog: Stage1Racing.blogspot.com

RIP Kelly Ruiz (7/21/81-10/14/07) Kari Prager (10/21/47-11/14/10)

"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge I see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." Kurt Vonnegut

"If I'm a danger to myself, just think of what i can do to YOU!" - Otep Shamaya

--In order to finish the race in first, you must first finish--
hitman5532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #18
ZIM
Truth is Subjective

Contributor

Motorcycles: V4r... 9'2" longboard 7" shorty
Name: Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerox View Post
Such good info. Plus, I don't know how many times I've seen someone show up at the racetrack with their racebike....then realize they left the bike key at home.
Forget the little key....how about 1.5 hours down the road only to remember you left your race suit in the garage.............it was a friend, yah that's it a friend.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:

I leave a lot of stuff out. I take tools and gas cans and lock them up.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
Med23
Goin' Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
I leave a lot of stuff out. I take tools and gas cans and lock them up.
bike too?
AFM #85 - Racer on Vacay
Old 02-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #21
DrSwade
Vacated

Motorcycles: .
Name: Rob
Excellent list!

I forgot my xponder one weekend and I had to drive all the way home (20 miles)
and get it. Made it by by the second practice session. TAKE THAT all of you who laugh at me for living waaay up north.

I would add that you should pack a couple of Myoplex, Muscle Milk, etc "ready-to-drinks". No matter how many times I do it, I still seem to forget to eat. This way I can just jam down some calories when I realize I haven't eaten. It is not just about hydration. If you are at T-Hill in July and don't stay on top of nutrition, you could very well get woozy by the time you do your clubman race that afternoon.

I can't stress enough to new racers how fast the pace of the weekend is.
Last time I put out chairs in the morning, my friend asked why? "It's not like you are going to sit down ever today".

Most of all, ask questions.
I was amazed how helpful just about everyone in the paddock is. The roadracing community here is awesome!
DrSwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #22
hitman5532
The Anti-Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSwade View Post
I would add that you should pack a couple of Myoplex, Muscle Milk, etc "ready-to-drinks". No matter how many times I do it, I still seem to forget to eat. This way I can just jam down some calories when I realize I haven't eaten. It is not just about hydration. If you are at T-Hill in July and don't stay on top of nutrition, you could very well get woozy by the time you do your clubman race that afternoon.
That is why I bring a girl to cook and feed me
AFM #861 #140 My racing webpage: Stage1Racing.com and blog: Stage1Racing.blogspot.com

"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge I see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." Kurt Vonnegut

Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #23
Corey
GPz550 Addict

Contributor

Motorcycles: '03 SV650 (Race Bike) '85 GPz550
Name: Corey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSwade View Post

I was amazed how helpful just about everyone in the paddock is. The roadracing community here is awesome!
My first race weekend, this guy ^^ jumped in and helped me modify my belly pan so it wouldn't scrape. I didn't know who he was before that. Robert is a "stand up" kind of guy, and I will always remember that.
AFM #44
Motion Pro, TWF Racing, CT Racing Pirelli, Fastline Cycles, Racer Gloves USA, Race Image Graphics, Galfer, CRS Tuning, TWELV51 Racing, Driven, Zero Gravity, Oxymoron, Dynojet, K&N, SPEEDMOB.
Mater: You know, I once knew this girl Doreen. Good-looking girl. Looked just like a Jaguar, only she was a truck! You know, I used to crash into her just so I could speak to her.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #24
Texwasabi
Veteran

Motorcycles: Schwinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowYellow View Post
I have low expectations

Beat tex
Texwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #25
Texwasabi
Veteran

Motorcycles: Schwinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
My first race weekend, this guy ^^ jumped in and helped me modify my belly pan so it wouldn't scrape. I didn't know who he was before that. Robert is a "stand up" kind of guy, and I will always remember that.
Yeah Robby boy is all right, even if he did punt me off the track with a bump pass...
Texwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #26
Hellraizer547
Veteran

Contributor + 10%

Motorcycles: 2001 RC-51, 07 R6 Race Bike
Name: Sergio
Just reading these posts is making me remember the good times when I raced for a couple weekends. Thanks Berto for the good info, I will be making a checklist. This time around I am not going to try to burden myself with everything, my wife will be their taking care of the checkslists, and that will also include water/food.
Hellraizer547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #27
Med23
Goin' Gorilla

What is the deal for gridding in the first Clubman race of the season? I read about gridding in the rulebook and it mentions previous points standings, which I assume only a few people in Clubman have points from last year. What about the rest? Did I miss the outlining of this subject in the rulebook?
AFM #85 - Racer on Vacay
Old 02-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #28
Corey
GPz550 Addict

Contributor

Motorcycles: '03 SV650 (Race Bike) '85 GPz550
Name: Corey
I thought the first race was gridded by the number on the bikes, then based on points from there. ???
AFM #44
Motion Pro, TWF Racing, CT Racing Pirelli, Fastline Cycles, Racer Gloves USA, Race Image Graphics, Galfer, CRS Tuning, TWELV51 Racing, Driven, Zero Gravity, Oxymoron, Dynojet, K&N, SPEEDMOB.
Mater: You know, I once knew this girl Doreen. Good-looking girl. Looked just like a Jaguar, only she was a truck! You know, I used to crash into her just so I could speak to her.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #29
hitman5532
The Anti-Squid

Quote:
What is the deal for gridding in the first Clubman race of the season? I read about gridding in the rulebook and it mentions previous points standings, which I assume only a few people in Clubman have points from last year. What about the rest? Did I miss the outlining of this subject in the rulebook?
It is either by date signed up or by number. I have heard paople say it is by number, but I was gridded behind people with bigger numbers and smaller numbers despite all being brand new. I waited to the last second to sign up, and started dead last. Remember if you start in the back, at least no one can hit you if you stall (a good thing to help calm your nerves)

Old 02-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #30
hitman5532
The Anti-Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I thought the first race was gridded by the number on the bikes, then based on points from there. ???
It is points from prior season up front

rulebook 3.4.1