Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner > AFM Forum

Old 03-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #16
The Villain
Not From These Parts

Motorcycles: Whatever I can steal
Name:
Oh, also, can someone link me to the GSXR you're talking about? I'm not seeing it in either classified section.
MWGP #666 / WSMC #999
The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #17
dangeranger
Rookie

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: '00 SV650 '05 ZX6R '07 R6 '09 DRZ400
Name:
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=523981

As far as tires go, I've always raced on take offs, so I can't say how long a new rear would last. A decent rear take off could probably get me through 2 weekends of Saturday practice and racing though as long as I took care of it and flipped it properly. I was usually doing trackdays in between rounds though so I wasn't the best at tracking how long they'd last, and obviously some were better than others when I got them.
I will say though, racing a 450 on takeoffs and being competitive is very possible if you're trying to keep costs down. The hard part is finding quality take offs. For as long as tires last on the 450s though, the tire budget really isn't too bad compared to the other bikes.

I run Pirelli and pretty much always ran SC1 front and rear for reference.

Last edited by dangeranger; 03-15-2018 at 11:50 AM..
dangeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #18
Old Bike
Veteran

Motorcycles: street 89 kawasaki ZX600C 87 EX500 race bike
Name: R.Mark
Rear would last half the season front would last the season . Pirelli SC1s
Old 03-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #19
Mick-e
Ride, Race, Live

Motorcycles: EX650(race) - CCM Supermoto - XR50 - KTM SDR1290
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
As for which style of bike I'm more comfortable on, I tend to like narrow twins more than wide i4's. And I also came up track riding and racing old, soft bikes (like the EX500!)
Well then. I have a buddy that's looking into selling his Kawasaki 650. It's well kitted but the motor is all stock.
Mick-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #20
The Villain
Not From These Parts

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick-e View Post
Well then. I have a buddy that's looking into selling his Kawasaki 650. It's well kitted but the motor is all stock.
Hmmm. Shoot me his contact info or have him PM me. It's probably a little early for me to pull the trigger on a purchase but I'd be interested in learning more...

So it sounds like pace, tire economy, cost and support are all pretty comparable between the SVs and the Triples:

Slight advantage to the SVs in terms of price of used race bikes (especially curvy/carb'd ones), ability to slot into dedicated classes with other race orgs, and that I'm already comfortable on the platform.

Advantage to the 450s in availability of machines, size of the AFM grid, and the ability to easily switch back to a 600 should I ever feel like racing against suicidal teenagers.

I'll probably end up going with whichever platform pops up the right deal at the right time, though a ride on a 450 may be necessary to seal my opinion of the Triple option one way or the other.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
MWGP #666 / WSMC #999
Old 03-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #21
ACA
Veteran

AMA #600767
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++++++!++++3%

Motorcycles: FZ1, R6, R4.5, TE250, CRF250L, Ruckus!
Name: Charles
To answer the tire usage question, it depends! At T-Hill on a hot weekend I can go through a rear a day. But I just did round 1 and went through about 1.5 rears (half friday practice, all the AFM practice, a short eval and 5 races). I change the fronts maybe once every two race weekends (but I'm a pansy on the brakes). The race pace was slow, and temps cold to moderate.

Unrelated to tires, I started out on a proddy SV and loved it. Then got into the 450 thing and love it too. In the end we tend to race together a lot and are pretty evenly matched; I have 3 races with SVs (F40 light, F4, and LLW). Both groups of racers are generally welcoming and helpful and we are in a good spot with respect to horsepower: enough to lug my heft around but not so much we eat a tire a race. Get either and I'll see you out there!
AFM #510
ACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #22
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACA View Post
To answer the tire usage question, it depends! At T-Hill on a hot weekend I can go through a rear a day. But I just did round 1 and went through about 1.5 rears (half friday practice, all the AFM practice, a short eval and 5 races). I change the fronts maybe once every two race weekends (but I'm a pansy on the brakes). The race pace was slow, and temps cold to moderate.
This is my experience with tires also. Im 64/230 so maybe I eat tires faster than some smaller folks.

I think Im gonna switch from Michelins to Dunlops this year and see how I like it.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #23
ACA
Veteran

AMA #600767

One other thing, if we're ever at the same trackday, you are welcome to try my bike for a few laps. She's sort of set up for me (6'3" 235) but should give you an idea of her capabilities.
AFM #510
Old 03-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #24
The Villain
Not From These Parts

Name:
^ That's very generous, ACA. I may try to take you up on that at some point this season, thanks.

Okay, so maybe the Triples are a little hungrier for tires, sounds like. That's probably within the margin of acceptability, though. Of course, I know it's all about how fast you want to go -- the guy who used to win most of the SV races I ran in would put in a new tire every race. But it was cool that I could still fight with the #2 guy at the last race of a season using the same tires I started the season on. Of course, those were the (now sadly extinct) UK Dunlops...
MWGP #666 / WSMC #999
Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #25
akathisia
Gait Plagiarist

Motorcycles: '74 CB550, '77 RD400, '79 Vespa P200E, '01 996, '03 R4.5, '03 RT1150
Name: PJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
^ That's very generous, ACA. I may try to take you up on that at some point this season, thanks.

Okay, so maybe the Triples are a little hungrier for tires, sounds like. That's probably within the margin of acceptability, though. Of course, I know it's all about how fast you want to go -- the guy who used to win most of the SV races I ran in would put in a new tire every race. But it was cool that I could still fight with the #2 guy at the last race of a season using the same tires I started the season on. Of course, those were the (now sadly extinct) UK Dunlops...

I hope you grab a 450 and come racing! Great group of people and cheap racing. I bought my 1st gen R6 fully race prepped with lot's of goodies off BARF for $1500. I ran whole season with AFM (2 races and practice per weekend) on one set of tires (Pirelli SC2s) and finished usually top 5. I weigh 150lbs. The rear started to slip a lot in the last race of the last round of the the season. So I wouldn't recommend only one set all season but just FYI it can be done.
AFM #230, AHRMA #237 Ego-Free Racing "We're in the business of kicking ass, and business is good!"
www.quackwatch.com

Racer Support:
< Catalyst Reaction Suspension (Thanks Jim & Nickie)
< and Many Many Others....
akathisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #26
raymond_h2002
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: R6, DRZ400SM, FZ1, Z125
Name:
I'll be racing 450s for the first time this year as well I got tired of sucking in 600 races so I figured I should tone down the power a bit and actually learn to ride my bike.

Hoping to make it out to rd 3 or 4!
raymond_h2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #27
akathisia
Gait Plagiarist

Motorcycles: '74 CB550, '77 RD400, '79 Vespa P200E, '01 996, '03 R4.5, '03 RT1150
Name: PJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond_h2002 View Post
I'll be racing 450s for the first time this year as well I got tired of sucking in 600 races so I figured I should tone down the power a bit and actually learn to ride my bike.

Hoping to make it out to rd 3 or 4!
Awesome! Welcome to the group. You'll have a lot of fun fun fun!
AFM #230, AHRMA #237 Ego-Free Racing "We're in the business of kicking ass, and business is good!"
www.quackwatch.com

Racer Support:
< Catalyst Reaction Suspension (Thanks Jim & Nickie)
< and Many Many Others....
akathisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #28
*VillageIdiot*
"A", "B"ig, "N"inny,

Motorcycles: .....................
Name:
How does one pull a cylinder to cripple it? I'm curious, I'm sure there's something somewhere on it. But for someone (like myself) who's about as mechanically inclined as a cat; is this something I could accomplish on my own?
*VillageIdiot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #29
ACA
Veteran

AMA #600767

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VillageIdiot* View Post
How does one pull a cylinder to cripple it? I'm curious, I'm sure there's something somewhere on it. But for someone (like myself) who's about as mechanically inclined as a cat; is this something I could accomplish on my own?
Its pretty easy. When we first were doing this we pulled the valves out and blocked the intake and exhaust, and put in dummy injectors (pumping to themselves). Another way is to grind the lobes off the camshafts from one cylinder. The third way, and I believe most popular, is to just bypass the injectors with a dummy circuit and leave the rest be. It comes with a small sacrifice in power but is really easy.

There are other ways that would make more power (pulling piston out, rebalancing crank) but I believe the rules require no work be done below head gasket, so as to not make it a spending race.

If you need help, there are a bunch of us willing to show you how.

Charles
AFM #510
Old 05-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #30
raymond_h2002
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: R6, DRZ400SM, FZ1, Z125
Name:
The third way is how I did it. Marc Zarra sells set of by-pass plugs (I think they were like $80). It literally takes more time to get your gas tank propped up than it does changing out the plugs to switch from 600 to 450 and vice versa... about 10 minutes in total.
raymond_h2002 is offline   Reply With Quote