Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Old 05-30-2018, 11:05 PM   #1
MotorcycleMan

Motorcycles: Yamaha FZ09 / FJ09
Name:
Friendly backroad cornerning advice

Ive been riding for a few years, 99% on backroads (other 1% getting to the "good roads") and there are a few things I have picked up I'd like to share.
If you have anything helpful to add feel free to comment and hopefully we can help some people out.

Always be aware. Know what your line should look like. Where your apex should be. Not for speed; you should be thinking to yourself where is the safest place for you to be at your apex. Is oncoming traffic visible? Does oncoming traffic have a blind turn? You don't want to hug that yellow line too much, you never know when a car will stray even a few feet into our lane.

Ride within your own personal limit and always leave some room for error as we never know what is around the corner. Crashed cars, deer running across the road, a massive buffalo, a driver making a U-turn in the middle of a blind turn, the list is endless.

Ride safe my friends and always wear your gear.
MotorcycleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:49 AM   #2
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
All good suggestions!

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Always keep your eyes up. The farther you look ahead the more time you have to adapt changing conditions. Keep your upper body relaxed and loose. Riding stiff will make the bike run wide in turns. TRUST THE BIKE. Modern bikes can corner very, very well. If you feel you're too fast into a corner, stay loose and try the corner anyway. In the vast majority of cases the bike will make it, IF you let it.

Mad
Old 05-31-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
JohnEPA
Livin on Hwy 9

AMA# 3328235
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2017 RnineT Pure 1985 BMW R80
Name: Barabas
And don't come flying through downtown Boulder Creek at 50 mph! No-one is impressed.
JohnEPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEPA View Post
And don't come flying through downtown Boulder Creek at 50 mph! No-one is impressed.
But when I do 50 up in the hills there's no one to SEE me!!!

Mad
Old 06-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
Hawaiirider
Veteran

Motorcycles: HawkGt, Wee-Strom, FJR 1300, others (gone) K75s, ST 4, F2, RST 1000, M900, GS650E, GT380,
Name: Dan
If you see ONE deer, there's likely some more around that next corner.

"It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel" (Proverbs 20:3) - Words to TRY to live by.
Hawaiirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
Hooli
Ruh-Roh!

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Yep.
Name: El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiirider View Post
If you see ONE deer, there's likely some more around that next corner.
Same with LEO's.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant AFM #677 Craig Hightower AFM#868 Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM #13 Miri/Lylith
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Nice post.

To add: expect bicycles. Always.
Expect cars in the other lane to give them way more room that the law dictates in the most silly places.

Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Nice post.

To add: expect bicycles. Always.
Expect cars in the other lane to give them way more room that the law dictates in the most silly places.

Very very important, especially when going downhill as oncoming cars might be partially or fully in your lane passing a slow bicyclist.

I try to ride with the oft quoted idea on BARF of maintaining 2 seconds of clear vision ahead.

That means very slow speeds at times on upcoming right hand turns in dense twisties.
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
solarae
old lady hah!

Motorcycles: 2003 SV650F (not SF just F), 2006 XT225, 1995 XT225 (purple frame and seat), GS250T Cafe
Name: Edy
If you come up behind a car going slow and there is anything to the left for them to turn into they will.
solarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
day004
Major PITA

AMA Life Member #538338
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: VFR1200f
Name: Dave
A technique I've developed when riding mountain roads is to always keep my eyes on the inside line in right hand turns, especially blind ones that I've unfamiliar with. Using the concept that the bike goes where your eyes point, if the turn tightens up , my vision will pull my line to match the road. If I were looking at the center line my line would drift out to meet it.
Of course ,I keep my vision moving from corner to corner. Inside,middle.repeat...
Old 06-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Try the Vanishing Point technique for reading blind turns. The link is to a BARF post I wrote 10 years ago, but it's timeless.

Experienced riders probably don't need it because they're subconsciously picking up the cues. But developing that intuition takes a while. In the meantime, making the VP observations will help you anticipate turns that often catch noobs unaware.

Geoff, did you mean "4 seconds of clear vision"? I wrote about the Four-Second Rule here and here.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #13
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Try the Vanishing Point technique for reading blind turns. The link is to a BARF post I wrote 10 years ago, but it's timeless.

Experienced riders probably don't need it because they're subconsciously picking up the cues. But developing that intuition takes a while. In the meantime, making the VP observations will help you anticipate turns that often catch noobs unaware.

Geoff, did you mean "4 seconds of clear vision"? I wrote about the Four-Second Rule here and here.
Oops, 2 seconds minimum for following distance 4 seconds for blind turns.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
Gary856
Are we having fun yet?

Motorcycles: WR250F, 690SM, SD990, R1200GS, MTS1200, 950SM
Name: Gary
Many long-time riders execute their moves without conscious thought, but I started riding only 10 years ago at 44 and I approach it more analytically.

I’ve always been very conscious of, and bothered by, the intrinsic asymmetric nature of left and right turns. Some of the factors are NOT present when you practice in a flat parking lot, but very apparent when riding on a tight and steep road like Mt Hamilton.

These are things to be aware of, and watch out for:

• Right turn:
o for the same curve, the right turn is always tighter than left.
o Sightline is better on right turns than left, especially uphill.
o The right hand controls throttle and brake, and tend to dominate steering too. You have to change the angle of your grip on the throttle on tight right vs. left turns.

• Left turn:
o You’re closer to, and easier to fixate on, the edge of the road/cliff. This is where looking thru the turn is especially critical.
o When you brake hard (with the right hand) into a downhill turn, you tend to stiffen your right arm, which can be fighting the left arm and interfering with turning left.
Gary856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #15
GAJ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary856 View Post
Many long-time riders execute their moves without conscious thought, but I started riding only 10 years ago at 44 and I approach it more analytically.

I’ve always been very conscious of, and bothered by, the intrinsic asymmetric nature of left and right turns. Some of the factors are NOT present when you practice in a flat parking lot, but very apparent when riding on a tight and steep road like Mt Hamilton.

These are things to be aware of, and watch out for:

• Right turn:
o for the same curve, the right turn is always tighter than left.
o Sightline is better on right turns than left, especially uphill.
o The right hand controls throttle and brake, and tend to dominate steering too. You have to change the angle of your grip on the throttle on tight right vs. left turns.

• Left turn:
o You’re closer to, and easier to fixate on, the edge of the road/cliff. This is where looking thru the turn is especially critical.
o When you brake hard (with the right hand) into a downhill turn, you tend to stiffen your right arm, which can be fighting the left arm and interfering with turning left.
I'm always slower on right handers in the twisties because of sightlines plus blowing a right hand turn can put you over the centerline into oncoming traffic.