Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend

Old 09-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #1
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: cr250 xr100 FJR1300 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss
Name: Daniel
Broken clavicle 9/4/17

Hey all:

broke my collar bone yesterday mountain biking with a friend. coming down an easy but steep hill i stacked at the bottom and landed on my left shoulder. luckily we were almost back to the trail head and with some help lowering my seat i was able to ride out to a waiting car that took me to kaiser.

was in the hospital within 30 mins and after xrays they sent me home with a sling and pain drugs and told me to expect a call today to schedule surgery because the bone is in three pieces and they arent close enough to heal properly otherwise.

hoping to be back in action for the barf baja trip in january

not sure what to expect but seems like folks who get surgery for this are the most satisfied customers regarding the healing outcome. im a major chicken shit about having surgery though. anyway, ill try to document things here.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1962siia; 09-05-2017 at 07:24 AM..
1962siia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia View Post
Hey all:

broke my collar bone yesterday mountain biking with a friend. coming down an easy but steep hill i stacked at the bottom and landed on my left shoulder. luckily were almost back to the trail head and with some help lowering my seat i was able to ride out to a waiting car that took me to kaiser.

was in the hospital within 30 mins and after xrays they sent me home with a sling and pain drugs and told me to expect a call today to schedule surgery because the bone is in three pieces and they arent close enough to heal properly otherwise.

hoping to be back in action for the barf baja trip in january

not sure what to expect but seems like folks who get surgery for this are the most satisfied customers regarding the healing outcome. im a major chicken shit about having surgery though. anyway, ill try to document things here.
ouch! : so sorry to hear man! Happens to us all, don't feel alone. Also don't worry about the surgery, I've lost count of how many I've had & most have worked out great. Some docs can be biased against riders, but surgeons typically are not. They do what they do great= no worries.

Don't be dumb, take your pain meds & relax until you get back for surgery. Do not, repeat, do not make it worse. Get a helper for around the house help- your going to need it until you've been plated...

Get well soon!

-dd
Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
1962siia
Veteran

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: cr250 xr100 FJR1300 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss
thanks dave. luckily im married and my wife is awesome so im covered! also im 47 and in decent shape so im sure ill be fine. trying to post my xray but its too large a file. ill figure it out at some point and get it posted. thx again.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++2%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
Yowza Daniel!!!
Right now your shoulder measurement is down an inch or two.

District 36

CORVA
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Oh man... sorry to see that xray.

Hope you are resting easy and all goes well.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
1962siia
Veteran

Contributor + + + 1%

thanks budman. im actually staying ahead of the pain and the sling seems to be holding everything in place.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Contributor ++++++

Motorcycles: Dino and electron. Street and dirt.
Name: Aaron
Ouch, man. Ouch. I've had a ton of broken bones in my life but have somehow managed to avoid the collar bone break. I hope you get surgery ASAP and heal up quickly. Let me know if you need any help around the house in the meantime. I do owe you, after all.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #8
thedub
Make good choices.

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800
Name: Wiles
Taken out by a mountain bike! Those things are dangerous. I stick to motorcycles.
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|K@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
1962siia
Veteran

Contributor + + + 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch Box View Post
Ouch, man. Ouch. I've had a ton of broken bones in my life but have somehow managed to avoid the collar bone break. I hope you get surgery ASAP and heal up quickly. Let me know if you need any help around the house in the meantime. I do owe you, after all.
Thanks aaron. Hopefully surgery will get scheduled tomorrow. My guess is two weeks from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Taken out by a mountain bike! Those things are dangerous. I stick to motorcycles.
I know right?! I've had this same type of crash on a motorcycle a bunch of times with no problem and the dang mtb bike at the end of the ride gets me!!

So today went pretty well. Stayed ahead of the pain, spoke to ortho surgeon, he answered my questions and seems like a good guy to have do the surgery. Actually drove to work and got some stuff done and I'm now out dealing with my old house. This sling does a good job of keeping it in the spot that doesn't hurt too much. Should get the surgery scheduled tomorrow but it sounds like they are booked out a bit. If the rest of this goes like today I think I'll do fine!

Last edited by 1962siia; 09-05-2017 at 06:57 PM..
1962siia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
rebekahlynn
racer x

AMA #2956245
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + +
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: fun ones
Name: rlb
Good to hear! See you tonight.
rebekahlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
Roadstergal
Won the race (to the loo)

Contributor ++++++++1%

Motorcycles: ?? CR85 Frankenrace, '15 EX300 race, '13 CB500F, '13 Giorno, '06 RM85L, '05 CRF150F
Name: Looney
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia View Post
not sure what to expect but seems like folks who get surgery for this are the most satisfied customers regarding the healing outcome
I've had a few surgeries for broken bones, and the collarbone is really the best. Once the initial surgical pain is over - less than a week, for me - the break pain is gone, and you can get back into your normal activities shockingly quickly. I had a break pinned, and a year later had the plate removed, so I've had that surgery twice. M'boy had it three times - a break, a re-break, and a plate removal. It's so much better than trying to suffer with a sling!

Do all of the fiddly stuff they tell you to do for the prep, it helps. If they do nerve blocks, definitely opt in - that means they use less GA and you're less loopy afterwards. Constant icing and stay ahead with the pain meds in the first few days post-surgery, and then it's all gravy!

The post-op physical therapy brought me back to pre-surgery state very quickly - particularly the flexibility. I can't recommend it highly enough. The scar wanted to heal in a way that tightened up my shoulder, and it loosed with every PT appointment.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #12
1962siia
Veteran

Contributor + + + 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahlynn View Post
Good to hear! See you tonight.
Thanks R! I'm here already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I've had a few surgeries for broken bones, and the collarbone is really the best. Once the initial surgical pain is over - less than a week, for me - the break pain is gone, and you can get back into your normal activities shockingly quickly. I had a break pinned, and a year later had the plate removed, so I've had that surgery twice. M'boy had it three times - a break, a re-break, and a plate removal. It's so much better than trying to suffer with a sling!

Do all of the fiddly stuff they tell you to do for the prep, it helps. If they do nerve blocks, definitely opt in - that means they use less GA and you're less loopy afterwards. Constant icing and stay ahead with the pain meds in the first few days post-surgery, and then it's all gravy!

The post-op physical therapy brought me back to pre-surgery state very quickly - particularly the flexibility. I can't recommend it highly enough. The scar wanted to heal in a way that tightened up my shoulder, and it loosed with every PT appointment.
Roadstergal thanks for this first hand info! Surgery is scheduled for next weds. I'll plan to be a good patient and follow their plan. Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #13
Rumbo Sur
learning everyday

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: DR650, Ducati HyperStrada, .
Name: Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
100% agree with the above. Work hard on your PT to quickly regain range of motion, strength and help stimulate nerve healing, chase away numbness.

And ... make sure the PT staff work HARD on you and not take a break and go have coffee.

No stress on the surgery, you are in good hands at Kaiser
Rumbo Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:18 PM   #14
Titus58
RIP Beasty Vstrom

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: DL1000 (gone), '06 Husky te610
Name: Tim
Daniel- ouch Hope surgery goes well and you recover quickly My wife is 10-days postop on a full knee replacement (also at Kaiser) - follow their instructions on the pain meds and PT and you should be fine

Just curious - do you wear any gear when you mountain bike? I also ride and I've been thinking about adding some light weight protective gear - I've had more injuries from mtb riding (broken foot, sprained wrist/thumb, severe road rash) than any moto riding. Funny how we protect our heads and hands on bikes but don't necessarily think about the rest of the body.

I'm hoping to ride one of my favorite mtb trails in the SC mtns this weekend - it was closed for six months after being washed out this winter...your crash is reminding me to take it easy on this trail - it has some fast and twisty descents where I can quickly get in trouble if I'm not careful...particularly on my new stumpy that has way more capability then me

Heal up!

Tim

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt. - Margaret Atwood

Big Bikes on ADV/DS Berryessa Ride

Ride Report - Sheet Iron on my Vee Part 2 Part 3

Evolution Motorcycles
Titus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #15
1962siia
Veteran

Contributor + + + 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbo Sur View Post
100% agree with the above. Work hard on your PT to quickly regain range of motion, strength and help stimulate nerve healing, chase away numbness.

And ... make sure the PT staff work HARD on you and not take a break and go have coffee.

No stress on the surgery, you are in good hands at Kaiser
Thanks Rumbo, looking forward to getting this surgery done and I plan to work hard so im back in shape for baja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus58 View Post
Daniel- ouch Hope surgery goes well and you recover quickly My wife is 10-days postop on a full knee replacement (also at Kaiser) - follow their instructions on the pain meds and PT and you should be fine

Just curious - do you wear any gear when you mountain bike? I also ride and I've been thinking about adding some light weight protective gear - I've had more injuries from mtb riding (broken foot, sprained wrist/thumb, severe road rash) than any moto riding. Funny how we protect our heads and hands on bikes but don't necessarily think about the rest of the body.

I'm hoping to ride one of my favorite mtb trails in the SC mtns this weekend - it was closed for six months after being washed out this winter...your crash is reminding me to take it easy on this trail - it has some fast and twisty descents where I can quickly get in trouble if I'm not careful...particularly on my new stumpy that has way more capability then me

Heal up!

Tim
Hey Tim- My mtb gear consists of helmet, gloves, camel back with tools tubes etc and normally glasses. Now that I'm thinking about it I realize I didn't wear the glasses monday and I had a hunk of $hit in my eye that I had been trying to get out for several minutes before the crash (its still in there actually ). It just gets too hot riding to consider more gear. I guess elbow and knee pads wouldn't be too much, but I've never ridden with them.

Have fun with the new stumpy!! I was on a specialized enduro comp 29. I just had the suspension rebuilt a couple weeks ago and it was ready for a lot of miles before baja. I've been riding at Annadel which is pretty close to home and lots of fun trails.

So yesterday went well, had a lot of numbness in the shoulder so very little pain or discomfort. Kaiser said it wasn't too unusual to have this and as long as I wasn't losing the ability to move stuff like hands and fingers not to worry. My left hand also got pretty swollen, enough that i took my wedding ring off because it was getting tight. Haven't take any norco since 9pm tues and have just been taking one aleve and one tylenol together every 8hrs or so. I have a pre-surgery phone call with the surgeon today so will probably learn what to expect from that. Thanks all for the well wishes and support. the barfs