Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner > AFM Forum

Old 05-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #31
*VillageIdiot*
"and a step to the right"

Motorcycles: .....................
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACA View Post
Its pretty easy. When we first were doing this we pulled the valves out and blocked the intake and exhaust, and put in dummy injectors (pumping to themselves). Another way is to grind the lobes off the camshafts from one cylinder. The third way, and I believe most popular, is to just bypass the injectors with a dummy circuit and leave the rest be. It comes with a small sacrifice in power but is really easy.

There are other ways that would make more power (pulling piston out, rebalancing crank) but I believe the rules require no work be done below head gasket, so as to not make it a spending race.

If you need help, there are a bunch of us willing to show you how.

Charles
This is very valuable to me and I appreciate you taking the time to respond, I get home around late December, and I'm hoping to have a fun "return" year in 2019; so this appears as if it would make a suitable and cost effective way to enjoy some track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond_h2002 View Post
The third way is how I did it. Marc Zarra sells set of by-pass plugs (I think they were like $80). It literally takes more time to get your gas tank propped up than it does changing out the plugs to switch from 600 to 450 and vice versa... about 10 minutes in total.
Something like this would be perfect, I'm not sure if PTT (or any of the other groups) have a 'tricylcle' group; but cost effective track time is definitely in my future.

I'll be home for a couple of weeks next month, a welcome break to the grind; so I'll begin looking for a reasonable 600 to Frankenbike; thanks so much for taking the time to respond and provide some guidance to some random dude
*VillageIdiot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #32
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street)
Name: AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VillageIdiot* View Post
I'm not sure if PTT (or any of the other groups) have a 'tricylcle' group;
It's called B group if you're quick on your "little" bike, C if you're not If you're really fast on it, you can call it A group

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2018 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Kawasaki USA Team Green; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Catalyst Reaction; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #33
*VillageIdiot*

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
It's called B group if you're quick on your "little" bike, C if you're not If you're really fast on it, you can call it A group
It's been a few millennia since I turned a throttle, so I suspect they'll create a new group in my honor, the "D" Group "soap box Derby".

I appreciate the feedback, I recall liking riding with PTT so I'll give a go when I get home.

Madame, I do indeed thank you

Last edited by *VillageIdiot*; 05-23-2018 at 09:15 AM..
Old 05-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #34
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street)
Name: AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VillageIdiot* View Post
It's been a few millennia since I turned a throttle, so I suspect they'll create a new group in my honor, "soap box Derby".

I appreciate the feedback, I recall liking riding with PTT so I'll give a go when I get home.

Madame, I do indeed thank you
If you make it out, stop by and say hi! I'm the white zx10 in the staff row, only white bike I think....

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2018 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Kawasaki USA Team Green; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Catalyst Reaction; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #35
*VillageIdiot*

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
If you make it out, stop by and say hi! I'm the white zx10 in the staff row, only white bike I think....
Indeed I shall! But it'll be awhile unfortunately, next season even. But don't be surprised when I do
Old 06-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #36
FreaK
Veteran

Motorcycles: GSXR600 Racebike Indian Scout Bobber
Name:
So what are the numbers looking like for the crippled class? Riders...

Seriously thinking about trying this out instead of 600 class. I took a 9 year break from racing and am eager to get back into it. I have a few track days scheduled for July and figured I would race Sonoma for my comeback.

Was considering getting an R3 to race but this class may be a better option as my bike is ready to race now. Trying to cut cost down on tires and want to learn to ride and not rely on power. Also my bike is a 2007 GSXR 600 so it may be more competitive as a triple than racing against modern 600 in the 600 classes.
Thanks for any suggestions in advance. I watched the AFM races last weekend and was dying to ride!
AFM #244
FreaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #37
slummy
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 06 r4.5 05 Zx-10 rs125 project derbi misc
Name: owen/#423
Freak,

I think there were about 8 or 10 of us last round.

I took a 10 year break from the track, rented a FLAP a couple times and knew I wanted to get back into the sport. I was looking for a built SV when I heard about the cripples. To me, it's the way to go -- modern package making 75hp has made me a much better rider than I ever imagined. If you are going to be at round 5, several of the 450's pit together -- come by and say hi. owen 423. PM if you have any questions or want to chat about it detail.
slummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #38
The Villain
Not From These Parts

Motorcycles: Whatever I can steal
Name:
Time to bring this full circle...

Thanks to the utter chill-ness of Charles, #510, I got the chance to sample a well sorted '08 R4.5 Triple at Laguna Seca last weekend. And by sample I mean I rode it all day. If Charles is representative of the typical 450 racer then I definitely want to hang/race with you guys.

Sadly, I don't think I will be...as least not racing against.

For most people I think this 450 thing is absolutely the way to go. The bike still has plenty of squirt at the top end for putting a smile on your face and dusting SVs on the straights. But it doesn't wear out a rear tire anything like a 600, and that lower power is great for working on racecraft. Chassis is top notch, modern, race-proven stuff and parts are plentiful. Plus, as mentioned, the 450 crew seems like the best slice of racer-dom. And if you want to sell it later, the new Triple-ing method is all electronic -- flip a switch and it's back to a 600.

So why am I not going to get one? Because I'm weird.

Having come up riding and racing old, narrow, squishy, slack-geometry'd, low power, low revving bikes the adaptation to a true modern supersport chassis and powerband is difficult for me. Assessing my day at Laguna I came to the conclusion that with practice I could eventually get comfortable on a 450, but maybe not comfortable enough to make the necessary push in a race...especially when, looking at my upcoming year, I'll probably only make it to 2 rounds next season. Just not enough seat time.

(And yes, I know other 600 chassis are less aggressive than the R6, but it's all of a breed).

Most people considering these bikes should absolutely go for it.

So I came excruciatingly close to pulling the trigger on this nearly complete SV650 project. (And by the way, somebody should buy that -- that's crazy gear for the price and I've ridden with the seller, he's a solid guy). But man, the SV grids in AFM are pretty feeble this season! Last season they were good, so maybe they'll come back?

Who knows, but I made the difficult decision to follow a different (and probably ridiculous) path -- I'll be building up my ghetto sumo into a light-bore track RACE tool, then try and hunt me down some Ninja 300s.

That dumbass idea will be chronicled in a build thread to be started soon. But as for my original 450 vs. SV question? Any aspiring AFMer would be stupid not to go with the 450. And if you're a So Cal rider, where the SV grids are still strong, you'd be stupid not to snatch up LA Law's bike for sale.

Me, I'm just stupid.

Thanks, everyone.
MWGP #666 / WSMC #999

Last edited by The Villain; 07-28-2018 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: RACE!
The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #39
Kalvin00
Veteran

Motorcycles: 15 R1 + 16 Triumph Tiger 800XCA + 06SV650 Race
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
But man, the SV grids in AFM are pretty feeble this season! Last season they were good, so maybe they'll come back?
I'll be trying, my first round will be at Sonoma
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #40
The Villain
Not From These Parts

Name:
^ Geez, with your handle I thought maybe for a second you were King Kwong and was glad I wasn't gonna have to race against your again!

You mean first racing round ever? Do it! Your life will never be quite the same. And the SV is a fun as hell way to go racing.
MWGP #666 / WSMC #999
Old 07-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #41
Kalvin00
Veteran

Motorcycles: 15 R1 + 16 Triumph Tiger 800XCA + 06SV650 Race
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
You mean first racing round ever? Do it! Your life will never be quite the same. And the SV is a fun as hell way to go racing.
Yessir.. I can't wait
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #42
ACA
Veteran

AMA #600767
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++++++!++++3%

Motorcycles: FZ1, R6, R4.5, TE250, CRF250L, Ruckus!
Name: Charles
No problem Noah, it was fun, despite my meatball antics.

Get a bike, any bike, and get going. If you're like me, bikes come and go. Also, somebody will pass you at a trackday, your brain will flip a switch and you'll be back racing in no time!

Charles
AFM #510
ACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #43
The Villain
Not From These Parts

Name:
Thanks again, Charles! I definitely know that switch. It's amazing how much faster one can go when properly motivated.

I remember way back when I did my New Racer School for WSMC we asked the instructor (former pro Jason Curtis) at the end of class what we could expect to happen in our first race. He said, "Well...you'll go 4 seconds faster around this track than you ever have before." We thought he was full of shit. But that's exactly what happened.

A green flag and a competitor do weird things to one's mind.

I may have been unclear in my pronouncement for the future...I'll definitely be showing up to race. Just looks like in 250 Superbike or something.
MWGP #666 / WSMC #999

Last edited by The Villain; 08-09-2018 at 09:29 PM..
Old 08-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #44
Smitty769
Rookie

Motorcycles: Production SV650
Name: Stephen
Just swapped the gears and crippled a cylinder in my R6 this weekend (Thanks MZarra!).

Gonna give this 450 Cripple a try and get out of the meat grinder they call the 600 classes

CT Racing/Pirelli

Scorpion USA

Spears Enterprises
Smitty769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #45
jrshooter

Motorcycles: ninja 300
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty769 View Post
Just swapped the gears and crippled a cylinder in my R6 this weekend (Thanks MZarra!).

Gonna give this 450 Cripple a try and get out of the meat grinder they call the 600 classes
how do i make contac with this Marc Zarra,
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote