Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Trackdays

Old 04-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
ZCrow
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 GSXR 600 (track) & 09 Street Triple (street)
Name: Zack
Question Which One?: Qstarz LT-6000 vs XT Racing GPX Zed GPS

I am looking to add a laptimer with GPS mapping capabilities (so I compare my lines from session to session, etc.). Right now I have it narrowed down to either the Qstarz LT-6000 or XT Racing GPX Zed GPS.

Does anyone have any experience with either or even better, both. Which would you use? Any pros/cons?
ZCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:38 AM   #2
Hazardous Waste
BagDragger

Motorcycles: Rain or Shine
Name: Citizen
Being a car racer I have been looking into GPS loggers. The ones friends use are much more expensive than these but pretty easy to use. I'm curious to see if anyone is using these also.
I don't have experience with ether of these. But I did go check them out online.
The XT you have to unscrew the back to unplug the Batt. when not in use. Big Downer.
also has 5hz logging. But I do like the simple non multi color screen.
The Qstarz has 2 times the logging ability at 10hz. Also has antenna built in.
Hazardous Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
phocup
Veteran

Contributor + + 6.5%

Motorcycles: 09 SVS
Name:
Another option is the new motoD unit. 50Mhz logging starting at $350.
phocup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
ZCrow
Veteran

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by phocup View Post
Another option is the new motoD unit. 50Mhz logging starting at $350.
Yes, I was looking at it but ruled it out after bad review from another rider.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
the Aim Solo is comparable to the Zed but im pretty sure its 10hz. ill be buying this one very soon.

http://aimsports.com/products/solo/
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 04-14-2015 at 07:57 AM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
SonoraMike
2StrokeAddict

Motorcycles: R1 AFM 187, GS1100G, RZ350, YZ250, CR500, CB550, GSXR750, GT750, 125 shifter kart, Tank Scooter, wi
Name: Mike
I have the Qstarz BT-Q1000eX

the XT Racing at 5mhz isn't enough imo, 10 is real good, 20 would be better, 50 would be overkill.

personally not getting getting laptimes while on the bike isn't that big of a deal to me. I guess if I wanted it I'd get an inexpensive dedicated lap timer to go with the standalone GPS lap tracker. It's just a one more distraction that takes me away from focusing on going my fastest in the moment. For me, seeing that I'm a second off my best pace isn't going to push me any harder to go faster, I'm already working on going my fastest each lap. But you're right though in the benefit of seeing lap time comparisons on the computer post-session, and keeping track of your progress, as well as being able to grab lap times from someone elses unit to compare vs you and see where they are going faster and where you can improve. That's where the real benefit in the GPS logger is for me. It's absolutely no question improved my riding, allowed me to see where I need to twist the go-dial harder, and dropped my times continuously over the last year. Best improvement I've put on the bike

But to your question, the Qstarz is better than the XT Racing just due to speed of logging, 5 just isn't enough
Old 04-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #7
vaibhavdesai137
YoYoYo Wassup!

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: '14 MTS1200S GT, '09 Ninja 250 Track, '14 Z1000 Sold
Name: Vaibhav
I have the Qstarz LT-6000 model. It comes with a nice display if you care about lap times while on the track. After every session, you can go through the timer to see your best lap. This also comes with a nice software called QRacing. This software imports the data file from the lap timer and can analyze the data for you. Will show you the speeds around the track with acceleration/deceleration. You can also export this data file to csv format and have it fed into dashware. Dashware is a nice video overlay software that will take lap timer data, add multiple video files and create a nice professional looking video for you It used to be $50 but gopro recently purchased it and is now free.

I haven't figured out how to analyze lines with the lap timer and I still don't know how to get the gears displayed as well. May be it doesn't support that. But if you use dashware with data and video overlay, you can figure out your lines.

My main use of the lap timer is to know where I am weak on the track. I still ride in C group so I have stopped looking at lap times but I do want to know where I brake early, where my exit speed is bad, etc. etc. Attaching an image I created from the QRacing software. After analyzing the lap, I dropped 5 seconds the next track day. I am on a 250

I would recommend Qstarz with confidence. All of my track buddies have it. Sorry, I do not have any experience with the other lap timer you mentioned so I have nothing to compare qstarz against.

If you like, you can have mine for a couple of sessions to test it before you decide to make a $400 investment. Feel free to ask any other questions.

EDIT: Like the previous guy said, if you don't care about seeing your la[ times while on track, you can go for the non-display one BT-1000ex model. But given that you'll pick up pace soon or already running A group, you'll eventually care about the lap times . All the other analysis I mentioned can be done with the non-display model too.

EDIT 2: One important thing I failed to mention is the setup on the bike. All yopu need is a velcro to stick it too and you are all set. Can't get better than that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201531721919.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	460823  

Last edited by vaibhavdesai137; 04-14-2015 at 08:10 AM..
vaibhavdesai137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
ZCrow
Veteran

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
the Aim Solo is comparable to the Zed but im pretty sure its 10hz. ill be buying this one very soon.

http://aimsports.com/products/solo/
Checking it out on Amazon. Looks like it bumps out XT Racing at this price point. Have you decided how you will mount it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoraMike View Post
I have the Qstarz BT-Q1000eX

the XT Racing at 5mhz isn't enough imo, 10 is real good, 20 would be better, 50 would be overkill.

personally not getting getting laptimes while on the bike isn't that big of a deal to me. I guess if I wanted it I'd get an inexpensive dedicated lap timer to go with the standalone GPS lap tracker. It's just a one more distraction that takes me away from focusing on going my fastest in the moment. For me, seeing that I'm a second off my best pace isn't going to push me any harder to go faster, I'm already working on going my fastest each lap. But you're right though in the benefit of seeing lap time comparisons on the computer post-session, and keeping track of your progress, as well as being able to grab lap times from someone elses unit to compare vs you and see where they are going faster and where you can improve. That's where the real benefit in the GPS logger is for me. It's absolutely no question improved my riding, allowed me to see where I need to twist the go-dial harder, and dropped my times continuously over the last year. Best improvement I've put on the bike

But to your question, the Qstarz is better than the XT Racing just due to speed of logging, 5 just isn't enough
Question, when I look up the specs for the BT-Q1000eX it is 5hz. But it has worked out for you?

I wasn't really fixated on the idea of looking at the timer while riding. When I have rented lap timers in the past they were strapped to the rear set only viewed after a session which is pretty much my thought on this purchase. Which makes we wonder how well a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like the XGPS160)with my iPhone would work with one of the track apps. It would definitely be a lot cheaper and if I am not viewing while on the track why not?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
ZCrow
Veteran

Contributor +

@vaibhavdesai137 Thank you! That was a very helpful review. I would definitely like to test drive one before purchasing. Are you at Sonoma any of the days in April/May?
Old 04-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
omoiRR
Rookie

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2012 CBR600RR, 2008 Yamaha R45, 2008 GS500F, 2012 Ninja 250R
Name: Elliot
Hey Zack,

I don't have any personal experience, but from my own research I concluded that 5hz doesn't give enough data points for motorcycles :S. I'd go with 10hz or more and I believe the newer version of the BT-Q1000eX is 10Hz.

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...EX-10HZ-F.html
omoiRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #11
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCrow View Post
Checking it out on Amazon. Looks like it bumps out XT Racing at this price point. Have you decided how you will mount it?
its going on my race bike. ill probably mount it to the 2 bolts holes on the top triple that used to hold the key lock.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #12
SonoraMike
2StrokeAddict

Motorcycles: R1 AFM 187, GS1100G, RZ350, YZ250, CR500, CB550, GSXR750, GT750, 125 shifter kart, Tank Scooter, wi
this velcro

I wrap mine in a loose zip tie as well just to be sure. The velcro is attached to the battery cover, and sometimes it comes loose, the zip tie ensures the unit stays stuck to the top triple.

the BT-Q1000eX is 10mhz, it has absolutely worked out 100% for me.

there was one for sale in the classifieds here for about $100 last week, not sure if its still there - yep: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=476001

if you want to tie in rpm and gear position indicators into your dashware video then you'll need to get some other data acquisition unit to grab that as well. I just point the go pro at the dash, I have a healtech gear indicator, I like to know what gear I'm in when riding as I found I don't count well

mzarra did a write up on analyzing the data in the qstarz qracing software last year

eta: holy huge image, pulling it out

Last edited by SonoraMike; 04-14-2015 at 09:02 AM..
SonoraMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #13
SonoraMike
2StrokeAddict

Quote:
mzarra did a write up on analyzing the data in the qstarz qracing software last year
found it: http://marcus.zarra.me/2014/04/going-faster.html
Old 04-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #14
vaibhavdesai137
YoYoYo Wassup!

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCrow View Post
@vaibhavdesai137 Thank you! That was a very helpful review. I would definitely like to test drive one before purchasing. Are you at Sonoma any of the days in April/May?
Zack, I'll be at THill on Apr 27/28 for Keigwins Novice school. If you are doing any other days, you can pick it from me in Santa Clara.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #15
vaibhavdesai137
YoYoYo Wassup!

Contributor ++

Quote:
Holy crap, I didn't know you could do all that with QRacing. Good to know. Thanks man for finding the link.