Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner

Old 04-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Smash Smashes Round 2

Smash smashes Round 2

Thursday - Got off work around 5 and spooned on a fresh sc2 rear before loading up and heading out on the 4 hour drive down to BW.

The 1992 diesel F250 decided it didn’t like the oil pressure sending unit around ¾ of the way to BW and so the indicated oil pressure was constantly fluctuating around the lower 10-25%. Since I have AAA with 200 miles towing I decided to see what would happen. I found out later that the gauge is just a glorified dummy light and either indicates normal or nothing. This means the wire is grounding out somewhere along the harness or maybe the sending unit failed.

Either way I made it down to BW in one piece, unloaded the basics into the rented garage around 11:30 and knocked out for the night.

Friday - Had Chris @ Pirelli spoon on a fresh sc2 front during first practice and I fell in love with the increased feedback from the stiffer sidewall. Feels like a Dunlop after the initial Pirelli squish.

Improved my time from 2:08 round 1 to four laps of 2:03 during the third practice session after being bumped into the middle practice group. I am still learning body positioning and am making gains through increased confidence which is coming from being locked in with my lower body during corner entry up through the apex. ‘EZ MODE’ according to my notes along with ‘there is a gentle rhythm that keeps the tire using 100% of its traction, DON’T MOVE AND FUCK IT UP’

Saturday - Was ready for tech, got my tech slip from registration Friday night. Halfway to tech a buddy reminds me I need my helmet. Get back to tech and I’m sweating already! Guy working tech can’t find my rivet master link on my chain. I tell him I am using a clip style master link rather than rivet, and he says that RTV is required for master link clips. No problem! Back in the pits...big problem! I can’t find the master link clip to RTV! I thought of using safety wire, but the rules say not allowed. So, I get a rivet master link and chain tool from my buddy Ian 714 and go to work already missing the first two practice sessions.

Thank god I got a full day of practice on Friday! In my rush I didn’t realize that the rivet master link was for a different chain and the pins were too big...I had smashed the pins halfway through the rollers before realizing this, so I took five minutes to mentally reset, have a bite to eat, and catch my breath. My buddy Justin 609 had a new chain and rivet master and so I was able to install it and pass tech just before lunch. I got one practice session in at 2:07.9 which was 0.6 seconds quicker than my round 1 time. Considering the amount of traffic in group 1, my chain fuckup, and my practice times from Friday I was satisfied with how things went.

I didn’t have any races Saturday so I relaxed and started bullshitting with the other guys in our garage. The guys in our garage and the one in tandem got along great and we went to dinner and was the highlight of my weekend. Just don’t tell people if you used to lick 9v batteries, apparently that’s not normal

Sunday - Woke up and brushed my teeth per Berto. Ran into him while checking out grid assignments and he told me to be ready for the race start this time by looking ahead instead of behind me

I get to my grid spot and see the 1 board go sideways and then the green flag. I get an anemic start and am behind the experts and novices into turn 1.

Ken Hill’s most recent podcast #54 highlights the differences between feeling fast and being fast. One of the main tenets is that if your brain is thinking ahead of your body things feel slower because you are able to be more proactive and deliberate with your inputs.

I was feeling like I was just putting around but was slowly reeling in the pack of novices in front of me. A few laps in I was passed coming into Riverside by #1 of 750 open superbike expert race. Several turns later I was passed into Sunrise by #2 of 750 open superbike expert race and together we caught up to the rest of the novices in my race.

Unfortunately for both of us I came in hot into On Ramp...I was looking at my apex while trying to bleed off more speed but as the rear wheel lifted in the air over the balance point I had to release some pressure as I tipped in. I made contact with the #2 and lowsided, pushing him wide and we both went off track. The #2 bike settled with him underneath it and I ran over and lifted the bike off of him.

He was understandably livid and I feel terrible about what happened. Fortunately we were both okay, unfortunately #2 rider’s day was over. A corner worker came and pulled my bike from the impact area and I was able to ride it back to the pits after the race. I landed straight on my shoulder and would have re-dislocated my shoulder if not for Helimot and his velocity dependant foam armor padding in his race suits.

A huge THANK YOU!!!! To all the corner workers for doing a fantastic job. Back in the pits the damage was some rash on my fairings and frame but that was it. I was able to pass tech and catch my breath before Open GP.

While waiting to grid for Open GP there was a delay and I was stuck at pre grid. #2 rider came up to me and got in my face calling me a piece of shit, said I shouldn’t be racing, owe him $500, and he should ride my bike the rest of the day. I apologized again and told him I feel terrible, but there’s nothing I could do. Thankfully I was able to escape him when the pre grid opened for warm up lap and I put him out of my mind.

Another anemic start to Open GP saw me at the back of the novice group again. My pace was good and I played it safe, running a 2:02 which was only a second slower than my fastest lap of the first race. I don’t think my brain was working, or maybe it was stuck not thinking about the crash. Either way the only thing I remember from Open GP (and I didn’t take any notes on Sunday...shame on me, this is something I want to forget but should not forget) was seeing someone (who turned out to be Honey Badger) in outfield of Cotton Corners.

The race seemed like it was only half the distance of a normal race, which I partially attribute to my subdued mentality going into the race. I simply didn’t use the energy I normally did and it felt like I walked around the block versus running a mile sprint.

I feel like I ended the race weekend with blue balls...I found pace and rhythm but just as soon as it was starting it was over. I think that’s a sign I can start doing more races, but I am going to see if I feel the same after Round 3.

youtu.be/_rJrnoixvzQ

Last edited by Smash Allen; 04-18-2018 at 02:39 PM..
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
fortyonethirty
concussed

Motorcycles: '12 kx450f
Name: Ian Tanner
Nice write up.
AFM #718
fortyonethirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Your posts remind d me of my novice season in '87.

Each weekend seemed to last about 4 hours...

Everything went very very fast.

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
jmann
Rookie

Motorcycles: sport
Name:
Thanks for sharing your race weekend experience with the rest of us. After watching the video I can understand while biker #2 was mad. Rest up and get ready for round 3 at THill. ��
jmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
JHicks
Basically Homeless

Motorcycles: Honda CT110
Name:
That was crazy
JHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

thanks guys, i thought about not posting but i feel better acknowledging what happened rather than trying to forget about it. i feel bad about it and understand why #2 was mad, i would be too

see y'all at round 3
Old 04-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
thanks guys, i thought about not posting but i feel better acknowledging what happened rather than trying to forget about it. i feel bad about it and understand why #2 was mad, i would be too

see y'all at round 3
Obviously the important thing is that you learn from what you did so that it does not happen again.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #8
eeeeek
Freelance Superhero

Motorcycles: Various
Name: Vik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post

see y'all at round 3
I appreciate the honesty of your race report. Racing incidents happen and while that sucks for rider #2, I find his reaction to you in the hot pitlater out of line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch Box View Post
In the end, I figure that it just doesn't make sense to get offended for others.
eeeeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
jbawden
Rookie

Motorcycles: Suzuki's, KTM, a Beta!
Name: Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeek View Post
I appreciate the honesty of your race report. Racing incidents happen and while that sucks for rider #2, I find his reaction to you in the hot pitlater out of line.
TOTALLY out of line! Some frustration is excusable but being completely belligerent angry is not a dynamic that we need at AFM.
jbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #10
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Thanks for the write up Smash.

Bummer on the incident and aftermath.

Best wishes on your next go.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
easter bunny
Amateur Hour

Motorcycles: Pink Huffy, yo.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeek View Post
while that sucks for rider #2, I find his reaction to you in the hot pitlater out of line.
Same here. We've seen the best in the world do it MM93->VR46. It happens in club racing and we all just hope we're not the person that does it or the person it happens to. But it's the risk we accept. "Stuff happens."
Old 04-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #12
thedub
Make good choices.

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800, KTM 500
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by easter bunny View Post
Same here. We've seen the best in the world do it MM93->VR46. It happens in club racing and we all just hope we're not the person that does it or the person it happens to. But it's the risk we accept. "Stuff happens."
I disagree with this outlook.

You can't compare what happens in MotoGP to club racing. They make super aggressive passes that sometimes go wrong because their livelihood depends upon finishing well in the race. Its their job. When they crash they don't have to fix their own bikes, they get the no-expense-spared best medical care available, their job becomes 24/7 to heal up so they can go do it again asap.

None of that applies to us. If someone takes me out I'm out thousands of dollars in crash damage, medical costs and I miss work. There is zero reason to ever be making a pass so iffy that it may result in taking out another rider. If the only option you have to get around the guy ahead of you is to kamikaze him, you need to just accept he's faster than you and you aren't gonna take that position.
And if you don't have sufficient control over your motorcycle such that you can't avoid accidentally running someone else down, well than maybe rider #2 is correct and you shouldn't be out there racing.

I understand it's one of the risks we accept, but I do not agree it should be casually shrugged off as "stuff happens". It's not a matter of just 'hoping you aren't the person that does it'; it's being in control and riding in a manner that ensures you don't do it.
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Dunlop|Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #13
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
I disagree with this outlook.

You can't compare what happens in MotoGP to club racing. They make super aggressive passes that sometimes go wrong because their livelihood depends upon finishing well in the race. Its their job. When they crash they don't have to fix their own bikes, they get the no-expense-spared best medical care available, their job becomes 24/7 to heal up so they can go do it again asap.

None of that applies to us. If someone takes me out I'm out thousands of dollars in crash damage, medical costs and I miss work. There is zero reason to ever be making a pass so iffy that it may result in taking out another rider. If the only option you have to get around the guy ahead of you is to kamikaze him, you need to just accept he's faster than you and you aren't gonna take that position.
And if you don't have sufficient control over your motorcycle such that you can't avoid accidentally running someone else down, well than maybe rider #2 is correct and you shouldn't be out there racing.

I understand it's one of the risks we accept, but I do not agree it should be casually shrugged off as "stuff happens". It's not a matter of just 'hoping you aren't the person that does it'; it's being in control and riding in a manner that ensures you don't do it.
i agree with all of this, especially the bolded portion

i appreciate everyone's kind words and empathy, was expecting to get flamed big time

i fucked up and rode over my head. there are a few things i will be doing differently from here on out that will make sure it doesn't happen again
Old 04-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
easter bunny
Amateur Hour

Motorcycles: Pink Huffy, yo.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
It's not a matter of just 'hoping you aren't the person that does it'; it's being in control and riding in a manner that ensures you don't do it.
Point taken on the GP comparison, but I was pointing at accidents not aggressive riding. We're club racers and we mess up. We're more prone to losing the front or ham fisting the throttle and high siding than those guys.

We have a license process, tech requirements, a race director, and a meatball flag to set a standard to participate. This isn't a trackday where any noob can sign up for Advanced and caused a wreck. Once we meet those standards we're all "racers" and yeah, stuff happens.

IIRC you used to a be provisional novice first year and you had to finish a couple races with no wreck. I'm not sure why that and minimum lap times went away.