Old 08-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #16
Caddywumpus
4N631

AMA#: 2809543
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Happy
Name: o'/<
Does anyone have a link to that court ruling??

Delay gratification and exercise financial responsibility, you say?
Why do you hate America?
RIP Mahito. 11/7/2010 AMA #2809543
Caddywumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #17
squidworth
Veteran

Motorcycles: So many
Name:
You are absolutely correct! I was merely giving the OP an option. What they do with that, is up to them. A Schuberth most definitely exceeds DOT standards, but a helmet like this........

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...15ce3ef5mUAquQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
Buying a DOT sticker off Amazon doesn't make a helmet compliant.
squidworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #18
Nick
Uncarlfarbmanlike

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 Honda Metropolitan
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
Buying a DOT sticker off Amazon doesn't make a helmet compliant.

If you're talking motorcycle/car insurance payment or any other type of civil liability, it probably wouldn't be non-payment. For example, if someone else caused the collision, they'd still be civilly liable. But it would provide ammo the insurance companies / attorneys would use to try and reduce liability. They would argue that had the rider been wearing a DOT compliant helmet, their injuries would be less severe (whether true or not) and that they should only be liable for partial medical expenses, etc. Why give them that ammo?
It was discussed in another thread within the last 6 months or so, but... I think that if a helmet does not meet DOT standards, that does. It make it inferior. Many ECE standards are higher than DOT/Snell. If the rider can show that the helmet met higher standards, even if not technically DOT certified I think they would be ok in the long run. It would take a competent attorney with an understanding of Euro certs and stuff, because if it’s that serious where there is litigation, the rider is probably in no position to bring forward that information.

If I remember correctly, Suomy helmets are not DOT certified. But..... if they are good enough for the MotoGP grid and meet FIM standards I can’t imagine anyone making a successful argument that the lid is less safe.

EDIT: Correction.... Suomy helmets are DOT, but not Snell certified. The point remains, though.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...

Last edited by Nick; 08-12-2020 at 02:20 PM..
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #19
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
^^^ Yeah, good point.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:37 PM   #20
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
Most are dual certified DOT/ECE. I wouldn't even worry for a second as long as it's certified.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #21
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Interesting I put one of them Amazon DOT stickers on my Caberg Tourmax man moons ago.

So your saying if I rode around with my US Army kevlar helmet I wouldn't get in trouble? Like I'd want to wear it around but I always thought it would look cool if I did it once haha.
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #22
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Many ECE standards are higher than DOT/Snell. If the rider can show that the helmet met higher standards, even if not technically DOT certified I think they would be ok in the long run.
Ok with who?

See the fundamental issue is when would this statute actually come in to play?

As has been mentioned, a peace officer (apparently) can not cite for DOT compliance.

Can an insurance company deny claims because you were "violating the law"?

But if you are not cited, then how do they know you were violating the law?

An ECE standard may be higher than DOT/Snell, but it is also, notably NOT DOT compliant -- thus against the statute. It can't be sold in this country, and it's illegal to wear in this state IN ORDER TO COMPLY WITH THE LAW.

Which brings up another question, are helmets required for off road use? If I'm riding a pit bike at the track without a helmet, is that against the law?

If not, then if I'm wearing an ECE helmet on my pit bike and fall, since I've not "violating the law", an insurance company wouldn't be able to use the fact that I'm wearing a non-DOT helmet as a reason to deny claims (unless there's a clause in the policy regarding helmet use, of course, they anything goes).

So, like a bunch of other laws, when is this one going to reach actual contact with a citizen. I don't see this happening in a courtroom, unless for some silly reason a DA is piling on the charges.

"Not only was this person riding at high speed in a school zone, when they struck the crossing guard in the crosswalk, with an illegal exhaust system, and illegals bike lighting, they were wearing an illegal helmet!!"

"Charges: Manslaughter. Riding with out proper lights. Riding without a DOT helmet. Riding with a loud exhaust. Failed to yield to crossing guard."

And then there's simply whether insurance companies are able to deny claims due to illegal activity.

So, in the end, just not sure when this really matters any more.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #23
Nick
Uncarlfarbmanlike

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Insurance companies are a private business. They don’t have to have a violation of law to deny a claim.

Any litigation with an insurance company would be handled in civil court, not criminal.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #24
senpai71
Professional troublemaker

Motorcycles: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, 2000 Triumph Sprint ST, 2002 Yamaha XVS650 V-Star
Name: Rory
I bought a Schuberth C3 from the UK - the exact same helmet that was sold in the US (with a DOT sticker), but since it was bought in the UK, it obviously doesn't have a DOT sticker.

I'd be interested to know whether insurance could refuse to pay up for medical expenses, since, while that model of helmet has passed Snell and DOT, that specific helmet doesn't have a DOT sticker...
Old 09-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #25
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by senpai71 View Post
I'd be interested to know whether insurance could refuse to pay up for medical expenses, since, while that model of helmet has passed Snell and DOT, that specific helmet doesn't have a DOT sticker...
Unlikely. Insurance companies don't enforce the law. If you're shot by a police officer while robbing a liquor store, the insurance company is not going to stop payment because you were performing a felony.

With perhaps less hyperbole, they're also not going to stop payment if you bin your pit bike slipping on some spilled nacho sauce while carrying a jerry can from the paddock to the hot pit, while wearing a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops (but no helmet).

As always, though, check with your insurance for details.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #26
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Quote:
I bought a Schuberth C3 from the UK - the exact same helmet that was sold in the US (with a DOT sticker), but since it was bought in the UK, it obviously doesn't have a DOT sticker.

How do you know your UK version of C3 meets DOT standard?

Meeting ECE does not mean it automatically meets DOT standard.

Some manufacturers do actually make helmets for specific markets and thus an ECE certified helmet model could be different than the DOT certified model.

Your insurance company could refuse to pay a claim if the insurance contract (your policy) requires you to wear a DOT certified helmet and you were not wearing one and were injured as a result of not wearing a DOT certified helmet.

There is a lot that would need to be proved up to ultimately deny coverage but they can allege it, deny coverage and then you would need to hire an attorney to sue your insurance company...

Seems like a dumb risk to take to me. But you are an adult and you can choose.

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #27
Nick
Uncarlfarbmanlike

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Quote:

Call your insurance company and ask them
Old 09-26-2020, 11:23 PM   #28
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
Unlikely. Insurance companies don't enforce the law. If you're shot by a police officer while robbing a liquor store, the insurance company is not going to stop payment because you were performing a felony.

With perhaps less hyperbole, they're also not going to stop payment if you bin your pit bike slipping on some spilled nacho sauce while carrying a jerry can from the paddock to the hot pit, while wearing a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops (but no helmet).

As always, though, check with your insurance for details.
I recall seeing policy "criminal acts" exclusions.