Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Notices

Old 08-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
postcholo
Chile con Carnage

Motorcycles: FZ8
Name:
FZ8 throttle issue

fuel pump started acting up, so I put in a new fuel pump, started it up sounded great. got on the freeway and, holy shit , where are my RPMs? Had the throttle fully open couldn't get more than about 5500 rpm and speed was around 65-72 mph.

went home, ran the diagnostic mode.

d01 read 16. was a little confused. does that mean fault code no. 16 (Throttle position sensor; stuck throttle position sensor detected) or is it just the normal value for d01? because the manual says that in d01 the meter should display something between 14-20 for a fully closed throttle. Opened the throttle all the way in diagnostic, it went to 99; let it go, it went back to 16. if i read the manual correctly, that means the throttle position sensor is OK.

Thought i would give the bike one more try. started it up ran fine, went to gas station. leaving station i noticed that the throttle was not very responsive. first few stop lights was getting smoked off the light by soccer moms and old ladies.

then, it red-lined. instantaneously, rpms shot from about 5000-5500 or so to about 12k. luckily, i hadn't fully released the clutch, so I did not have an evel knievel jumps glen park canyon attempt.

bike ran great rest of the way to work (just a couple of miles). was hopeful that the issue had resolved itself. but it didn't. On the way home throttle was not responding very well or very smoothly. idling is normal.

Fault code 16 also says that the ECU could be malfunctioning. so would you say this is a throttle position sensor, ECU or something else problem? Thank you

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live and too rare to die. -- Raoul Duke

Last edited by postcholo; 08-24-2020 at 04:21 PM..
postcholo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #2
storm
Runs with scissors

Contributor +
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: MT-09
Name:
anyone?
Old 09-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
NoTraffic
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2nd Gen FZ1 / Oil Cooled 1200RT / '17 MT-09
Name:
You don't happen to have a Power Commander or Ivan's FCE on this - do you?
NoTraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #4
postcholo
Chile con Carnage

Name:
nope.

the symptoms are similar to what i've read about for bad/failing throttle position sensors on cars: car won't accelerate, lacks power when accelerating, or accelerates itself; car accelerates, but won't exceed a relatively low speed, or shift up.

so i'm hoping that's what it is. in the process of replacing it.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live and too rare to die. -- Raoul Duke
Old 09-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
NoTraffic
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2nd Gen FZ1 / Oil Cooled 1200RT / '17 MT-09
Name:
I've had fault code 16 before as well but I had a fuel cut eliminator installed on my FZ1 and it started going faulty.

I would guess it's likely the TPS, there are some tutorials about how to re-calibrate it, you don't necessarily need to get a new one. I'm sure your FZ8 is very similar to the gen II FZ1 in all the electronics, ecu and wiring.

One other thing to consider is your spark plug/coil pack conditions. The entire FZ line is known to eat them up.
NoTraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Call Ivan and ask him or post on the FZ1 forum

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
Gabe
COVID-fefe

AMA #: 1006675
Founding Member
Contributor +++++3%

Motorcycles: FZ-07 farkled-by-Amazon Edition
Name: Gabe
Logically, I'd think the fuel-pump install was somehow done wrong, or you bought a faulty pump (was it an OEM part?). I would take the fuel pump out, inspect it and then reinstall it carefully to make sure there are no pinched wires or kinked hoses.

If you don't want to do all that, how about checking for spark from all four cylinders? Also, maybe your bike was sitting for a while so check the tank for sediment/debris getting into the fuel pickup.

That's just easy, basic stuff I'd do.

Oh, and read my column about internet diagnostic "experts" for a bit of a laugh and maybe you can avoid the dumb mistakes I made...

https://www.motorcycle.com/features/...psychosis.html
Old 09-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #8
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

On The gen 1 FZ1 there was an issue if you installed the fuel tank incorrectly you'd kink the fuel hose. I don't recall that being an issue on the Gen 2 FZ1 but that is something to consider because that would constrict fuel flow.

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
Gabe
COVID-fefe

Founding Member
Contributor +++++3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
On The gen 1 FZ1 there was an issue if you installed the fuel tank incorrectly you'd kink the fuel hose. I don't recall that being an issue on the Gen 2 FZ1 but that is something to consider because that would constrict fuel flow.
Is the gen 1 a carbie?
Old 09-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Is the gen 1 a carbie?
Yes, gen 1 is carborated but it also has a low pressure fuel pump.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
postcholo
Chile con Carnage

Name:
Thanks for the feedback, i wound up changing the tps (which was a pain in the ass, apparently they are installed by the tiny japanese women that summon mothra).

Bike hasn't sat around much, except during covid. reason I changed the fuel pump was because it was making a shrew-getting-butt-raped-with-a-very-large-vibrator noise, which it no longer makes.

Going to give it a test run before i start looking at the pump install (yes its oem). am pretty sure we did it correctly but doesn't hurt to double check.

i'll give the spark plugs a look, frankly, they are way over due for replacement. Service Manual says every 8k miles. I have 4.5 times that on them.

thanks for the advice

Last edited by postcholo; 09-06-2020 at 12:12 PM..
Old 09-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #12
Gabe
COVID-fefe

Founding Member
Contributor +++++3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcholo View Post
Thanks for the feedback, i wound up changing the tps (which was a pain in the ass, apparently they are installed by the tiny japanese women that summon mothra).

Bike hasn't sat around much, except during covid. reason I changed the fuel pump was because it was making a shrew-getting-butt-raped-with-a-very-large-vibrator noise, which it no longer makes.

Going to give it a test run before i start looking at the pump install (yes its oem). am pretty sure we did it correctly but doesn't hurt to double check.

i'll give the spark plugs a look, frankly, they are way over due for replacement. Service Manual says every 8k miles. I have 4.5 times that on them.

thanks for the advice