Notices

Old 03-08-2021, 11:29 PM   #1
self_moto
Veteran

Motorcycles: CBR600RR, STR, S1000RR
Name: Sergei
Lowside Sonoma 3a

Hi,

On season opener at Sonoma (02/20) had a "misfortune" to lowside in 3a. Totally understand that's my fault, but would like some clarification. It was freaking cold that day (60s), it was 11am session, 4th lap.

My understanding of situation - lost front, mostly because carrying too much lean angle over the crest, my line was off - by the time right before the crash I should've started picking up the bike already.

What do you think?

Thanks!

youtu.be/BJG097vIf-I
self_moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #2
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
Sorry about your crash. That's 3B by the way
Only thing I can see is you were wide at the apex. The pavement starts to drop away there.

Mad
Old 03-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
I would have liked to accomplish a lot of that right turning much sooner. That way when the pavement falls away, you aren't asking for as much grip from both tires. You were little wide out of 3A and were late & slow with your direction change. This put you really close to the 3B curb, essentially the worst spot to be in. The easiest way to fix this will be to slow more for 3A.

On cold days, you really need to use the brakes to keep heat in the front tire. The front tire sits in the wind and gets cold constantly. The more you can do to keep heat in it, the better your day will go. It seems like you could have slowed much later for T3 and used more front brake and less engine braking.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 03-09-2021 at 12:28 PM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
As Robert says, your wide exit from 3 made you low line 3a and forced you to keep too much lean angle over the crest. I’d leave it leaned over a little longer in 3, which will set you up for a later apex in 3a. You should be picking up lean angle and back on the gas about where you lowsided.

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
KnifeySpoony

Motorcycles: SV650 S1000XR R1250GS
Name: Tyler
Agreed - compromise 3 to get a better entry and preserve lean angle through 3a (btw it is 3 and 3a, not 3a and 3b). And a more aggressive steering input to get bike leaned quicker.
KnifeySpoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
From what I can hear, you're lightly off the throttle going up the hill to 3b and then, off the throttle completely after turn in all the way until you lose the front. 3b will do that to you, off throttle. I'm guessing that is how you were dealing with running wide.

I agree with the guys above that the line choice set you up for your decision to cut throttle, but I don't agree that you can't make the corner just fine with a shallow (right side) entry. You just have to turn a bit sooner (if you're going to keep speed up). 3b is one of my best outside passes on that track. It's epic and undefendable. The key is keeping the throttle open a bit and using the camber of the rear tire to help transition and steer the bike.

My conclusion: chopped throttle at wrong place and for too long.

Hope you're doing ok. The track looks horrible BTW.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020

Last edited by Holeshot; 03-10-2021 at 06:21 PM..
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
You're right that he could maintain the low line. Turning a little later into 3a (right-hander) would also solve the problem of being forced to keep it leaned over and off the gas over the crest.

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:08 PM   #8
KnifeySpoony

Motorcycles: SV650 S1000XR R1250GS
Name: Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
The track looks horrible BTW.
I thought the rumor was Sonoma was getting a repave this season. Maybe covid pushed that back...
KnifeySpoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #9
Kalvin00
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 KTM SDR1290, 20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally, 08 R6
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeySpoony View Post
I thought the rumor was Sonoma was getting a repave this season. Maybe covid pushed that back...
I remember hearing that in January of 2019 too....
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #10
self_moto
Veteran

Motorcycles: CBR600RR, STR, S1000RR
Name: Sergei
Thanks for feedback everyone, very helpful! Definitely a lot of things I need to address...
self_moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #11
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
I'd suggest being a little wider on entry and using a tiny bit of trail braking to keep that front tire planted.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #12
V4rider

Motorcycles: Current: 2008 R6 My ex's: 2004 FZ1 2013 RSV4 R 2016 FJ09 2014 BOLT R SPEC 2014 CB500F
Name: Chris AFM
I crashed there season opener 2020 with ptt. Same deal. Cold tire, early turn in, too much lean angle. I ended up fixing it up and getting back out after lunch and the Sunday. I got a lot of pointers from some of the instructors (seasoned racers) and they all said a combination of what everyone else is saying. Carry 3a radius a tad bit later to start to stand the bike up over 3b. Glad you're alright and will live to ride another day!
V4rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #13
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
You're right that he could maintain the low line. Turning a little later into 3a (right-hander) would also solve the problem of being forced to keep it leaned over and off the gas over the crest.
Totally agree. Once you realize you've made a mistake (turned in too early) though, you've got to recognize what the mistake is, what the effect will be, and how to compensate so you don't become the accident...all before you reach the crash point!

That's "experience" in the Moto world, in a nutshell.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #14
DirtyD
Lives for MotoX

Motorcycles: CBR1K, R3, KX250F, YZ250
Name:
I watched that video a bunch of times and I think the bike was already on the ground before he crested the hill. Just asked too much from the front tire. When you screw the pooch at the bottom of T3 and run wide and then flick it right and end up with an early apex to 3A, you can't make up for that with a bunch of extra lean angle. You have to stay off the throttle and maybe even brake a little and hope there's enough track out there to keep you out of the dirt. Adding a ton of lean angle just turns one mistake into an even bigger mistake.
And thanks for posting that video. Great teaching opportunity.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:48 PM   #15
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZX-6R RSV4 Panigale 899 Ninja 300 FZ-07R
Name: Gravisman
If I’m “reading” this video correctly you were not on the brake as you tried to make that turn. I don’t brake there either, but a bit of brake would have helped keep the front planted and make the turn with the line you had. Better to fix the line as others mentioned, but if I were going in on your line I’d probably want a finger brushing on the brake to steer through the turn.

Motorcycles turn by harnessing the pure power of awesome directly from the soul of the multiverse. Motorcycles make physics their bitch.
Gravisman is offline   Reply With Quote