BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
weak_link
Hugh Jasole
 
weak_link's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Contributor +++

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brentwood
Motorcycles: Multistrada 1200S Touring, 1992 VRF 750f
Name: Eric
WC you are one of my top 3 favorite posters on BARF, keep the ride report's comin'!
__________________
"WOW! This crash is going awesome!"---our very own Liam

Save the ta-ta's
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #17
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS
 
WoodsChick's Avatar
 
AMA #: 489282
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
D36 - #103Y

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, 3 TR650's, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgyee4 View Post
AWESOME!
JUST AWESOME!
Thanks for the kudos, lgyee4 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821 View Post
Sweet report! We were just up at High Rock the weekend before you. Was cool to see pictures from a different perspective. We were going to head up to Denio, but the weather looked iffy. Seeing your pictures of the snow, I am glad we didn't head that way.

Nemo- You can do High Rock, no problem. Just don't do it alone!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690241
Sweet! Thanks for the link, hobbes I had a great time reading your report and checking out all the photos. We had fun in the inclement weather, we just had to be a little more sensible than normal. Proper gear is the key to enjoying the cold and snow

And, yeah, Nemo, I concur...I think you could do High Rock but I wouldn't do it alone. The problem is if you have any issues out there you're a long way from help. High Rock is fairly close to Soldier Meadows, but a lot of the other stuff I rode is a long ways from nothin'. Go do it, girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wox View Post
Excellent! We're headed down that way on 6/12 for at least 12 days. Thanks for posting the great conditions photos! Looks like we're gonna get wet and shipping a fresh tire to Eureka is going to be worth it.
Wox!! What a cool surprise to see you here in BARF-land! Welcome! Didja notice the GiantLoop on my KTM I really like riding with that thing...I think Eric needs one for his KTM.

Yeah, rain in the desert is totally kick-ass but some stuff was just too wet. Kinda hard to tell, but the tracks leading up to the plane wreckage were sloppy and nasty. I had full-on knobs on the 610 and we were getting squirrely as all get-out...it's really slick up there! The Pine Forest and Bilk Creek ranges got hammered with snow, and the Santa Rosas were completely covered. The snow kept us kinda close to camp, with 4 days of riding averaging 130 miles per day, but each and every one those miles was awesome, as usual What's your route look like to Eureka? Man, I wish I was going with you




WoodsChick
__________________
AMA, D36, BRC, CORVA, USA-ALL, WMA

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
WoodsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS
 
WoodsChick's Avatar
 
AMA #: 489282
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
D36 - #103Y

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, 3 TR650's, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
WC you are one of my top 3 favorite posters on BARF, keep the ride report's comin'!
Wow...thanks!! Who are the other 2? Gotta keep my eye on the competition, don't ya know

I'll keep the reports comin' as long as I'm physically able to ride. Hopefully I got a lot of years ahead of me



WoodsChick
__________________
AMA, D36, BRC, CORVA, USA-ALL, WMA

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
WoodsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #19
budman
General Menace
 
budman's Avatar
 
AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palo Alto, Ca.
Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
as always...

Jealous as always....

Appreciative as always....

Always keep 'em coming!!!!
__________________
Your friendly neighborhood.... Budman
BARF Terms of Service Be a BARF Contributor!
Support those that support Barf! BARF Sponsors
1Rider introduction on KFOG
Bone heads and bikers podcasts
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Godspeed Mom Pit Ho Godspeed Nicky #69 Hoho
AMA #203453
Need a BARF sticker or other stuff..PM me.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
wox
Ride while you can!
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tumalo. Oregon
Motorcycles: KTM 525, XR650R, KTM 950 S
Name: dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
Wox!! What a cool surprise to see you here in BARF-land! Welcome! Didja notice the GiantLoop on my KTM I really like riding with that thing...I think Eric needs one for his KTM.

Yeah, rain in the desert is totally kick-ass but some stuff was just too wet. Kinda hard to tell, but the tracks leading up to the plane wreckage were sloppy and nasty. I had full-on knobs on the 610 and we were getting squirrely as all get-out...it's really slick up there! The Pine Forest and Bilk Creek ranges got hammered with snow, and the Santa Rosas were completely covered. The snow kept us kinda close to camp, with 4 days of riding averaging 130 miles per day, but each and every one those miles was awesome, as usual What's your route look like to Eureka? Man, I wish I was going with you




WoodsChick

HA! Since I don't really have a full-on street bike, didn't know if they'd let me in here - cool site.

Of course! Glad you like and yes, Eric needs one too!

I wish we knew the route, water and snow will determine that but we have some ideas for sure. We're going to spend at least one night with the good folks at Soldier Meadows and might rip around there for 1 day. I know of a cool cabin with a cold spring south and east of there for another night but we really do not know where we're going to end up.

We'll get some riding together someday -
wox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #21
boney
Miles > Posts
 
boney's Avatar
 
AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sonoma
Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
Just got a chance to actually sit down and read through this thread.

As always;
__________________
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS
 
WoodsChick's Avatar
 
AMA #: 489282
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
D36 - #103Y

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, 3 TR650's, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
as always...

Jealous as always....

Appreciative as always....

Always keep 'em coming!!!!
Thanks a ton, budman... as always

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
Just got a chance to actually sit down and read through this thread.

As always;
Thanks, boney! Have you ever been up there? You'd really like it out there. Last night Eric and I spread out a bunch of maps on the floor that had a 700-mile dirt route from Utah to northwest Nevada




WoodsChick
__________________
AMA, D36, BRC, CORVA, USA-ALL, WMA

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
WoodsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #23
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS
 
WoodsChick's Avatar
 
AMA #: 489282
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
D36 - #103Y

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, 3 TR650's, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450
Name:
Quote:
HA! Since I don't really have a full-on street bike, didn't know if they'd let me in here - cool site.
Hey, I've only got the SV for commuting but they haven't kicked me out yet BARF is pretty fun

Quote:
Of course! Glad you like and yes, Eric needs one too!
Yeah, he does, but he can't tear himself away from those $10 army surplus bags I gave him a ration of shit when he first got them ("Yeah, they're ok, I guess...for your LC4, maybe. They are NOT going on my Husky, though " but I gotta admit, they've been bulletproof and they hold a ton of crap! The rolltop waterproof liners were totally cool!

Quote:
I wish we knew the route, water and snow will determine that but we have some ideas for sure. We're going to spend at least one night with the good folks at Soldier Meadows and might rip around there for 1 day. I know of a cool cabin with a cold spring south and east of there for another night but we really do not know where we're going to end up.
Those the best kinds of plans/routes to have, really. That way, nothing gets messed up by weather or accessibility. You've ridden High Rock, right? If not, it's beautiful right now and so close to SM.

Quote:
We'll get some riding together someday -
"Someday" isn't going to come soon enough, Wox. We need to consummate this affair!




WoodsChick
__________________
AMA, D36, BRC, CORVA, USA-ALL, WMA

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
WoodsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #24
boney
Miles > Posts
 
boney's Avatar
 
AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sonoma
Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
Thanks, boney! Have you ever been up there? You'd really like it out there. Last night Eric and I spread out a bunch of maps on the floor that had a 700-mile dirt route from Utah to northwest Nevada
WoodsChick
I've ridden around up there, but not nearly to the extent that you have.

I think I even have a picture that looks just like one of yours. Let me see if I can find it.

Well, it's close anyway. Taken in 2008 from a different angle of the same mountain:


The maps you have part of the TAT? Someday I'm gonna ride the western section.
__________________
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #25
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, 94102
Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Chocolate banana shake!

Hi WoodsChick,

Thanks for this wonderful ride report, really enjoy your
photos & writing ...

Crazy weather ...

Hope to find my way to a
bacon cheeseburger, at least, soon ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
San Francisco Motorcycle Club
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #26
wox
Ride while you can!
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tumalo. Oregon
Motorcycles: KTM 525, XR650R, KTM 950 S
Name: dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
Well, it's close anyway. Taken in 2008 from a different angle of the same mountain:

Same mountain from the top -

wox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #27
Cereal KLR
Veteran
 
AMA #: 571917
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 94444
Motorcycles: moped
Name:
Once again the Woods(MountainRange)Chick shows us what the world looks like outside our comfort zone.
Cereal KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #28
Nemo Brinker
Tonight we ride
 
Nemo Brinker's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Contributor + +

Join Date: May 2006
Location: OAKLAND.
Motorcycles: '04 919, '04 DR650
Name: Legion
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
And, yeah, Nemo, I concur...I think you could do High Rock but I wouldn't do it alone. The problem is if you have any issues out there you're a long way from help. High Rock is fairly close to Soldier Meadows, but a lot of the other stuff I rode is a long ways from nothin'. Go do it, girl!

Wox!! What a cool surprise to see you here in BARF-land! Welcome! Didja notice the GiantLoop on my KTM I really like riding with that thing...I think Eric needs one for his KTM.

WoodsChick
Hell yeah! I picked up a SPOT and a Giant Loop for the 'laska trip, and both should come in handy for desert adventures, too. My riding buddy is getting up to speed, too...and the Benchmark Atlas is close to my bed!
Nemo Brinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #29
Kfxrider90
Veteran
 
Kfxrider90's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake County/Santa Rosa
Motorcycles: Ktm 1190 adventure r, Fj09, Z125 Pro, Ktm 200
Name: F&*^!
Man, what a ride you did. I want to do it someday!


Good report
__________________
Fix it Till it breaks!!!" - No... not really im not into slamming against the pavement.
Kfxrider90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #30
tanstaafl
Better late than never...
 
tanstaafl's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oaklandistan, CA
Motorcycles: '04 KLR 650, '04 KTM 525 MXC, '06 KLR 650 Apparently some lessons I need to learn more than once.
Name: Scott
Looks like a great trip despite the snow and soggy ground. Some of those canyon photos were breathtaking. You seem to have "secret knowledge" of hot springs - or a good guidebook?
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.