sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

Motorcycles: are fun
Name: Kegan
Mission: Missions

Sometime late last year, while wine tasting around Sonoma, Victoria and I stumbled upon a neat little history museum in the remains of Mission San Francisco Solano, on the Sonoma town square. As a California transplant, I had heard of the missions, but didn’t know much about them; Victoria, a native Californian, remembered them from her elementary school history lessons but had never been to one. It was an interesting visit, and a fun foray into the history of California. So, we figured: why not visit them all?

During our six years in Texas, we did a lot of travelling around the state, and managed to get our picture in front of a good number of the county courthouses that are located on the town square of every county seat. We never really had aspirations of visiting every one, though there are riders who do so... it’s a lot of flatland riding to visit all 254 courthouses scattered across Texas! However, it’s fun to have a list of places to visit while knocking out the miles between major stops.

Here’s one of Vic and the VFR catching a break in the shade in front of the Bosque County Courthouse in Meridian, TX:

There are only 21 Spanish missions in California, instead of 254, and they stretch along El Camino Real from San Diego to Sonoma, instead of being scattered across the whole state. Visiting them all seems pretty doable. However, it took us all the way until this past June to actually go out and start exploring. The basic guidelines that we set for ourselves were that we both had to be there, and we had to be riding.

A map of the 21 missions of Alta California (there are many more through Baja California and all the way down to Mexico City)::

June 3, 2012
Mission San Juan Bautista, San Juan Bautista, CA

Map

Our first mission mission took place on a sunny Sunday with a short day ride to the south. We took the FZ1 for a cruise down 85/101 out of San Jose, then broke off onto Uvas - Watsonville - Hecker Pass over Mt Madonna, then over to 129 to San Juan Bautista. The mission gardens were well kept and a very nice place to sit and relax in the sun.

San Juan Bautista State Historic Park is adjacent to the mission; there were some cool sights to see there, such as a collection of vintage carriages that were used for transportation in the days before automobiles. After touring about a bit, we walked down to the main drag for some ice cream to temper the hot afternoon. Then it was back on the bike for a jaunt over to Hazel Dell - Browns Valley - Eureka Canyon - Highland Way (Vic was not really a fan of those last two), before heading back down the hill to San Jose.

June 30, 2012
Mission San Jose, Fremont, CA

Map

On the last sunny afternoon in June, we hopped on the KTM after lunch for a bit of backroads and exploring. We cut across downtown San Jose, up into the hills along Sierra Road, then down Felter and north along Calaveras, before hopping on 680 south a few miles to Mission Blvd in Fremont. There, we found Mission San Jose, founded in 1797 as the 14th mission in California. Vic’s behind was ready for a break after 45 miles of supermoto, so we paid the small fee for museum access and spent some time checking it out. It was a great excuse to get out for a short ride around the east hills.

Kegan -- '12 MTS1200ST -- '18 FX-S --'18 GROM 125 -- '20 FS 450 -- IBA #41999 -- AMA #3283468 -- AFM #895
My Ride Reports! -- BARF Terms of Service
sckego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

October 19-21, 2012
Mission San Miguel Arcángel, San Miguel, CA
Mission Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA
Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, San Luis Obispo, CA
Mission San Carlos Borroméo de Carmelo, Carmel, CA

Map

This past Christmas, I surprised Vic with a pair of season tickets to USC football games this fall. We’ve made it to one game each year while living in Texas (usually an away game like @Arkansas or @Nebraska), but being back in California finally means we can start attending games at the Coliseum regularly. Exciting! We missed the season opener against Hawaii because we had friends in town up here visiting, and we drove down for the game against Cal since Vic wasn’t feeling well and didn’t want to ride. However, everything fell into place a few weekends ago for a nice ride down for the Colorado game.

I skipped out of work at a bit past 2PM on Friday afternoon, and picked up Vic from her work a short time later. We already had the FZ1 packed and ready to go, and we were geared up and headed south out of San Jose by around 3. At Hollister, we split off on Highway 25 and enjoyed a beautiful, relaxing ride through the rolling hills. We continued south on Peachtree and Indian Valley Roads, arriving in San Miguel with the sun getting low in the sky. As we cruised through town in search of a ramp back to 101, we passed a low, white building... Mission San Miguel! We were not even planning to hunt out any missions on this trip, but here one was, right next to us.

We pulled over for a bit to stretch and walk around. The front garden provided a great place to relax for a bit in the warm evening.

Then, it was back onto 101 south for another hour or so until it was dark, and we pulled off into Santa Maria to find a place to stay. We found a cheap Day’s Inn near the city center, and a yummy bite to eat at the Swiss Restaurant and Bar.

The next morning, we were on the road early, heading east into the hills along Hwy 166 towards Cuyama. It was foggy and wet in the lower elevations, but we soon climbed past the clouds into a beautiful, if freezing cold, morning. We then hung a turn onto Hwy 33 over to Ojai (great road!) and back down to 101, which took us all the way into greater LA. One more quick hop over the Santa Monica Mountains brought us to our friend Chris’ place in Malibu, where we ditched the bike, hopped in his car, and headed down to campus to watch some football.

We had fun watching USC absolutely destroy Colorado, 50-6, in a pretty messy game. Afterwards we hit the Stinking Rose for some garlicky prime rib, then back to Chris’ to spend the night. The next morning, we were back on the road, first westward along PCH through Malibu, then back onto 101. We pulled off in Santa Barbara to search for gas, and saw signs for... you guessed it, Mission Santa Barbara. A few miles later:

We left SB to the north, along Hwy 154, rejoining 101 at Los Olivos, and continuing up to SLO, where the plan was to break off on Highway 1. I took a wrong turn somewhere along the way, and while waiting at a traffic light, Vic taps me on the shoulder: “Look, there’s a mission right there.” Literally, right next to us. How do we keep stumbling onto these?

The Mission Bells of San Luis Obispo, which we got to hear ring (very loudly!) while we were sitting outside:

We continued north on PCH, stopping in Cambria for lunch, and then zipping up the coast past San Simeon and into Big Sur, where we found another great opportunity for a rest break.

And, as luck would have it, Highway 1 took us right through the outskirts of Carmel, within shouting distance of Mission San Carlos Borroméo de Carmelo, the Carmel Mission:

Almost home... a bit further north along 1, then onto 17 over the hills and back into the valley. Around 800 miles on the weekend, including some of the best roads between here and LA, a USC victory, and four missions. Great success!
Kegan -- '12 MTS1200ST -- '18 FX-S --'18 GROM 125 -- '20 FS 450 -- IBA #41999 -- AMA #3283468 -- AFM #895
Old 11-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Hoho
Ride to Eat

AMA #: 2760367
BARF Moderator - Kitchen Sink
Contributor + + + + + +

Motorcycles: Yamaha Hopper
Name: Hoho
Cool! Looks like a pretty doable list, and the good thing is there's a bunch of great moto roads in between too!

I've only been to a few of the missions, the last one was the one in SLO 2 years ago... that was before I started riding...

BARF TOS
Hoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
NoGall

AMA #: 690440
BARF Admin
Founding Member
BARFies '06, '08, '10, '14
Contributor ++++BB

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name: Tom
Nice. Once you are done with this... All the west coast lighthouses between the borders
NoGall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
CRUZer
-

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Check out this link if you need route suggestions to make the visits on the twisty/scenic roads. The first post contains links to his other three mission rides/routes.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=47437
CRUZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
rodr
https://in-oz.com/

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
At Hollister, we split off on Highway 25 and enjoyed a beautiful, relaxing ride through the rolling hills. We continued south on Peachtree and Indian Valley Roads, arriving in San Miguel with the sun getting low in the sky.
Those are some awesome roads. Here's a video I made back in April, on the way to Death Valley.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

November 2-4, 2012
Mission Santa Inés, Solvang, CA
Mission San Buenaventura, Ventura, CA
Mission La Purísima Concepción, Lompoc, CA
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad, Soledad, CA

Map

Two weekends later, it was time for another trip south, this one to attend the game against Oregon. Once again, I picked up Vic from work partway through the afternoon, and started south, this time taking some backroads over the hill towards Santa Cruz. After taking 1 south for a bit, we broke off on 68 up to Laguna Seca, then south on Laureles Grade to Carmel Valley Rd.

Carmel Valley Rd:

After rejoining 101 at Greenfield, we stopped off at a Mexican restaurant in King City for some dinner.

Then it was back onto 101 south through the dark, reaching Santa Maria to spend the night at around 9.

The next morning, we hopped back on 101 to Solvang, where grabbed a bite to eat at Paula’
s Pancake House.

Right down the street from there is Mission Santa Inés, first of the trip. It was a short stop; kickoff was at 4PM, and we wanted to get down to LA in time for some pregame activities.

After hopping over San Marcos Pass and back onto 101 at Santa Barbara, we pulled off in Ventura for gas and another mission stop (and took the opportunity to degear--it went from cold and misty in Solvang to hot and sunny in Ventura).

We arrived at Chris’ place in Malibu at around 11, piled into his car, and headed over to campus to hang out and snack. We found a shady spot to enjoy, and had a nice afternoon talking story and having a few drinks while waiting for the game to start.

Did I say a few drinks? I meant the three of us polished off a fifth of gin. Whoops.

The game... well, the game could have been better. We kept it close most of the way, even managed to pull within 3 points late in the 3rd quarter, but just couldn’t finish it. We played better than we had all season, though, so that helped make the loss easier to swallow. Oh well.

The next morning, rather than getting right onto the freeway, I decided to have some fun. We took Malibu Canyon Road up from Chris’ to Mulholland, and cruised up past the Rock Store and the overlook before heading down 23 to Westlake and back to 101.

We eventually broke off of 101 onto PCH towards Lompoc, and the third mission of the trip, La Purísima Concepción. This mission is surrounded by a state park, rather than an urban setting, and it made for a nice break to get off the bike and explore.

Then it was back up to 101 at Santa Maria, and freeway northward to the final stop of the trip at Soledad.

Great view of the Santa Lucia Mountains from the Mission.

I almost got my face ripped off by this water fountain. Yes, that jet is watering the palm fronds overhead.

So, another four missions down, another entertaining (if somewhat disappointing) USC game, and another weekend roadtrip in the books. I wonder how we’re going to hit all the missions in LA and points south...?

Last edited by sckego; 07-15-2014 at 09:13 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
DWaltersPhoto

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100
Name: Dave
Two of my favorites for "original look" San Antonio de Padua and don't miss the original El Camino Real on the valley side of San Juan Batista or the fortress like wooden doors as you walk north on the ECR (turn left frm the staircase) about 50 ayrds up the road.
DWaltersPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Oh My Sack!
Rides at speed of smell

Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300A-ABS
Name: Tim
Well done!

What a great RTR! (Reason to Ride!) Since I live about 10 minutes south of SLO, I'm in the center of a great group of Missions in either direction. I need to add a few of the NorCal Missions to my list since I have never been but you rehashed an excellent RTR that we may just start on this week. My wife grew up in Soledad (60's & 70's) and her family was part of the Congregation at the Mission from her Baptism forward. I just realized that I have NEVER been to that Mission We have an empty house in Soledad to stay so maybe that will be a destination this week also.

Thanks for the report!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

November 23-25, 2012
Mission San Fernando Rey de España, Mission Hills, CA
Mission San Gabriel Arcángel, San Gabriel, CA
Mission San Diego de Alcalá, San Diego, CA
Mission San Luis Rey de Francia, Oceanside, CA
Mission San Juan Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA
Mission San Antonio de Padua, Jolon, CA

Map

Picking off the missions between LA and the bay was pretty easy with our repeat trips south for USC football games. Visiting the far southern ones stretching down to San Diego, though, was going to be a challenge, and would probably involve a long stretch of I-5 to get down quickly enough to visit the missions while they were open. Neither Vic and I were looking forward to a long slog on 5 on the naked FZ1, though.

Lucky for us, Eaglerider Rentals came through with an awesome BARF discount on a BMW R1200RT for only $59/day, 64%(!!!) off the normal price. Making the reservation over the phone was quick and painless; they even kicked in an extra day free since they were closed the day I wanted to pick it up (Thursday - Thanksgiving). So, I got it Wednesday afternoon until Monday morning for well under $300, all taxes included. They even agreed to let me stash a bike in their garage with the agreement that they were in no way responsible for it, saving me from having to BART it up into the city. Killer deal, thanks Eaglerider!

We were loaded up and on the road early on Friday morning after Thanksgiving. I was having to be very careful with my stops, being sure to lean the bike to the left, as I’d sprained my right ankle rather badly the day before (pic) and supporting a fully loaded, 2-up 1200RT on it was a dicey proposition. I’d almost decided to give up and take the car, but decided screw it, if House can do it, so can I. I even had a cane stashed under the passenger grab handles to hobble around on.

We cruised past the jam-packed Gilroy Outlets at about 5:30AM, laughing at all the crazies out shopping at that hour. Then over 152 and onto 5, doing a steady (electronic cruise control!) 90mph through the 30-something *F morning air. Heated seats, grips, an electrically-adjustable windscreen, and giant fairings RULE. It is amazing how effortless going fast on this bike is.

We had a quick stop for breakfast at Denny’s in Coalinga, then on to Mission San Fernando Rey de España, on the northern edge of the LA metropolis. We’d done 350 miles in 5 hours, and still felt as fresh as when we first started the ride. I love this bike.

Then, it was off into LA proper, for a stop at Mission San Gabriel.

We took a break here to walk around the mission grounds and relax for a bit. I found a bench in the shade of the Mother Vine, the oldest grapevine in California:

Then it was back onto the freeway, over to the 15 and south to Mission San Diego. Temps were up in the high 80s by this time... thank god for panniers with room to stash excess layers!

Finally, it was time to turn northwards again, back onto the 5 for Mission San Luis Rey.

And then up Mission San Juan Capistrano, the final goal for the day. We arrived a few minutes before 4PM, and quickly jumped off the bike and rushed in, hoping to hit the gift shop before they closed. As it turns out, my intel was faulty and they didn’t close until 5, which allowed us to have a nice, relaxed walk around in the falling light.

Forgot to get a shot outside while it was light, but here is one we took after the visit, before walking across the street for dinner at an Italian joint.

Then it was back down to PCH and up the coast through the foggy evening, eventually coming to a friend’s uncle’s house in Irvine where we spent the night. 600 miles in a day had never felt so easy.

The next day, we rode up through LA to Chris’ house in Malibu, stashed the BMW there, and headed back into LA for some bar-hopping before the Notre Dame game. A few of us at the LA Live Yardhouse pre-game:

The game didn’t go great, but it wasn’t terrible, either. Our defense (who gave up 62 to Oregon!) held #1-ranked Notre Dame to a touchdown and five field goals, which I thought was a great showing. Unfortunately, our offense, behind a freshman QB starting his first game, only managed a touchdown and two field goals. Ah well. It would have been great to spoil ND’s championship hopes, but they played well and I’ll be rooting for them come January. As for USC, well, there’s always next year. Fight on!

Sunday morning, we were on the road around 9, heading north up PCH, then up 33 into the Los Padres National Forest. After rejoining 101 at Santa Maria, we split off again at Paso Robles, taking Nacimiento Lake Drive into the hills. Quite a bit of this road had just been recently paved, and it was a great ride.

After passing through the unmanned entry to Fort Hunter Liggett, we found ourselves at Mission San Antonio. With this stop, we have now visited every mission south of Santa Cruz.

We again took some time walking around the mission and the grounds. The contrast between here and Capistrano is extreme; one is bustling and busy, in the middle of a touristy beach town, where your entry fee gets you an audio tour in your choice of languages. The other is out in the middle of nowhere, with one employee manning the gift shop, and the tour consists of you walking where your feet take you.

The sun is falling low by the time we leave Mission San Antonio for the coast, and the colors in the sky and clouds as we roll west through the valley are beautiful. Nacimiento-Ferguson Road turns a bit goaty once off the Hunter Liggett grounds; one lane wide in places, and many corners are covered with wet fallen leaves. The torquey flat-twin just chugs along through the tight corners in 2nd gear, hardly ever requiring a shift.

At the crest of the road, we are rewarded with a stunning view of the sunset over the Pacific. Simply jaw-dropping.

The road down to the coast from the crest is as terrifying as it is beautiful. OK, maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but holy crap it does get your heart pounding. It drops 2800 feet in 7 miles, in other words, steep as hell. Google maps says 13 minutes for those 7 miles... hah, a 30mph average? I don’t know that we actually hit 30mph *anywhere* along that stretch. I need to come back here on the KTM sometime...

At the bottom, we turn onto PCH, and the dusk quickly fades to night as we speed northwards for home. We arrive home at about 8PM, after a 440-mile ride from Malibu, and 1100 miles on the weekend. Six more missions down; now, only Santa Cruz and four more around the Bay remain...
Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Nemo Brinker
Tonight we ride

Mod Alumni
Contributor + +

Motorcycles: '04 919, '04 DR650
Name: Legion
Rad. Great ride project! I was baptized in San Juan Capistrano, not that I had any say in the matter...

That shot of the sunset from Nacimiento-Ferguson is epic.
Nemo Brinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Hoho
Ride to Eat

AMA #: 2760367
BARF Moderator - Kitchen Sink
Contributor + + + + + +

Motorcycles: Yamaha Hopper
Name: Hoho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
At the bottom, we turn onto PCH, and the dusk quickly fades to night as we speed northwards for home. We arrive home at about 8PM, after a 440-mile ride from Malibu, and 1100 miles on the weekend. Six more missions down; now, only Santa Cruz and four more around the Bay remain...
Wow, that was quick work busting out those Missions pretty quickly!

BARF TOS
Hoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
NorCal Factory
Veteran

Contributor ++++ 2%

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuano, Aprilia RSV4, KTM 300 XCW
You certainly pack a lot of fun into a weekend! Great pics and a super blend of MC riding with other activities. That BMW sounds like fun. The day after Thanksgiving, I rode my Aprilia Mille down Hwy 25 to Coalinga and back via Los Gatos Creek Road and was pretty sore and wiped out after 7 hours of riding.

The missions are fun - I am amazed you got so many of them in!
NorCal Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
NoGall

AMA #: 690440
BARF Admin
Founding Member
BARFies '06, '08, '10, '14
Contributor ++++BB

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Nice! The RT is definitely a comfy bike to bust out the miles on.
NoGall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

February 16, 2013
Mission San Francisco de Asis, San Francisco, CA
Mission San Francisco Solano, Sonoma, CA
Mission San Rafael Arcangel, San Rafael, CA

Map

Our original goal had been to see if we could visit all of the missions in a single year, but buying a house combined with a surprise family visit at Christmas ate up most of our free time, and we didn’t get out for any more rides before the year was out. We managed to find a free day this past Saturday, though, and decided to do a northbay loop to cross a few more off the list. We got off to a somewhat late start at sometime past 9, by which time my stomach was already growling. We headed across San Jose and up Highway 9 to Skyline to the first stop: Alice’s! Yum, breakfast.

Then further north on Skyline back to the freeway and into the city for a stop at Mission San Francisco de Asis, founded in 1776 as the sixth of the California missions. The adobe church was built in 1791 and is the oldest surviving structure in San Francisco. The mission was built along a creek (long since disappeared) called “Our Lady of Sorrows,” which over time lent its name to the church: Mission Dolores.

Then it was up through the city and over the Golden Gate Bridge, and off onto Highway 1. Choosing this route on a sunny, 70-degree day in February was not the wisest choice, which I came to realize while sharing past mile after mile of stopped traffic. We took a detour off of 1 on the Panoramic Highway, up past Mount Tamalpias and down to Stinson Beach, where we had a quick break before continuing north on 1. We turned inland at Olema and joined up with the Point Reyes-to-Petaluma road (my first time on this road, it’s beautiful!), and found our way to the Petaluma Creamery for some cheese’n’ice cream. Then on to Sonoma for a stop at Mission San Francisco Solano, the last and northernmost of the California Missions.

Note that San Francisco Solano’s founding in 1823 came a few years after Mexican independence--it is the only mission to be established under Mexican, not Spanish, rule.

We took a short break in the shade of the trees on the town square, then hopped back on the bike, heading south for the last stop of the trip: Mission San Rafael Arcangel, just a few blocks off of 101 in downtown San Rafael.

The day was growing late and Vic was getting a bit tired, so rather than seek out any more twisties, we just got back on the freeway and slabbed it down the east bay back to home. 240 miles on the day, three more missions down, only two to go!