Old 05-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
ALANRIDER7
MeowMeowMeow

Contributor

Motorcycles: GSXR
Name:
Talking A Message To Brand New Riders.

Welcome to the sport.

You will probably have many questions about all sorts of things. There is way too much information out there to sort through and it's possible to get the wrong input as a beginner. The best advice I can give you is to trust your gut instinct and ask questions. If something doesn't sound right to you, ask another rider or several riders. It's sort of like getting a few medical opinions before a major operation.

Motorcycling is a major operation (it is to me anyway). If you start out safe and well informed, you will dramatically increase your chances of survival. The downside to this sport is that you can get hurt and hurt badly.............simply by making an honest mistake or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There are plenty of seasoned veterans on this and other boards with the credibility to help you avoid some of the pitfalls. Not everyone has that.

If you don't have a permit, get one.

If you don't have a license, get one.

Get a lot of gear before you get a lot of bike.

Ride like you're invisible because they don't see you anyway.

It's not that hard to do.

The sun is shining and you've been fantasizing about riding for months. Put the excitement of your first rides on hold for just a second and think about the safety gear choices you'll be making. It's vitally important that you choose wisely. The initial cost of some of the better safety gear may put you off. Please don't dismiss this gear simply because of costs. A poor gear choice can cost infinitely more if it doesn't protect you the way you think it will. Make no mistake- this is a contact sport where the contact can come when you least expect it. If you're prepared properly, so much the better. If you decide to ride and not give safety gear the proper consideration, that's your choice. But it's important to know that you may have to pay a pretty severe price for that decision. This isn't preaching, it's just one rider trying to help out the newcomer.

I run a shop and I do a lot of crash estimates. More times than not, I hear the stories again and again....... someone wishing they had purchased better gear because in the aftermath of a crash, it's pretty easy to see how better gear would have done a better job of protecting the rider. Sneakers and jeans may seem like a simple and easy way to go. Until you imagine what it would be like to crash wearing that. The next time you're driving and can look away safely for a second, open your car door and look down at 55 mph. Now imagine jumping out of that moving car in your street clothes. You wouldn't expect to fare very well.

It's worth the stretch to invest in the better gear. If you can afford the bike, you can afford the gear. The first time it saves your ass, you'll have your money back with plenty of interest.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
}Dragon{
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ╯(°□° ╯)

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Your Moms.
Name: Heywood J.
- Leave your ego at home
- Ride only as fast as you can see
- If you get a bad feeling: slow down, take a break or go home
- Invest in a good helmet, gloves and really good boots
- If you have the chance to ride something else, like dirt, track, supermoto: do it. The more experience you get, the better you will be
- Keep your bike clean, washing it gets you "up close and personal" with the bike, which could lead you to discover a lil problem- before it becomes a big problem
- A sportbike and it's maintainace are very like flying an airplane, if you neglect your bike- the results could be fatal.
-Before going on a ride, have a checklist: tires, oil, fuel, coolant, chain
- Sportbike Dynamics does "REAL QUICK" crash estimates
-If you are buying a new bike and the choice is 1) An Ex250 and some good riding gear 2) An EX500 but no gear: Pick #1
See the lightning in your eyes, see ‘em running for their lives- The Offspring
| TMU Local 916 Pitmaster
\Oo) _\ _w_ /_ (oO/
}Dragon{ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Ratters
Is it summer yet?

Contributor

Motorcycles: '00.5 RSV Mille, '00 SV650 trackbike
Name: Maynard
-crashing sucks, much worse than going fast is fun.
-buy decent gear. You can find a lot of good stuff used.
-go around your bike ever week or so and make sure everything is tight, fairing bolts, control points.
-old standards make very cool first bikes. WHEN you drop it, just pick it up, bend back the bent parts and go on your way. Much nicer that replacing a grand worth of plastic.
-chicks dig scars. But not THAT much.
-find a stretch of road that you know is clean and rarely populated and just practice going back and forth slowly increasing your speed and lean angle till you get comfortable.
-I never knew there was even a controversy, but countersteering is how you control a motorcycle. Push left, go left. Push right, go right.
-Have fun, remember it's not a competition out there. Being alive is better than being fast.

-- "Political tags -- such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth--are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire" -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
a7x
Rookie

Motorcycles: GS1100E
Name:
I'm a fairly new rider but...

- take the msf(it was something i am glad i took, and well worth it)
- practice swerving, emergency braking, etc. as often as you can

hmm can't think of much else, sorry im a noob
Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
CeruleanSkye
Rock Steady Vibe

Motorcycles: 06 CBR 600RR; 06 Ninja 500 (sold); 07 KLX 300R
Name: Kitteh!
Quote:
Originally posted by a7x
I'm a fairly new rider but...

- take the msf(it was something i am glad i took, and well worth it)
- practice swerving, emergency braking, etc. as often as you can

hmm can't think of much else, sorry im a noob
+1

I'll also add: ride at your own pace and don't try to keep up with other people just to impress. I've found that I am happier straying behind a little rather than try to keep up and make a mistake or ride above my abilities/comfort level.

Also take plenty of time to get used to your bike and how it responds. This is where taking time to practice swerving, braking, etc in an empty lot on a regular basis comes in handy.
CeruleanSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
707Kawasaki
Veteran

Motorcycles: K5 GSX-R 750
Name:
Imagine if this was your skin.... Do you think it would hold as well?

"No gear, No problem!"
707Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
movado_perfect
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: are fun with passengers!
Name:
-If you have ANY doubt about your ablility to control your bike, DON'T TAKE PASSENGERS. If ANYTHING happens to them during the ride, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE .

-Your passenger's gear is just as important as yours. Although she may look hot in that thong and short shorts/skirt/tight jeans: 1)you'll never be able to see that angle and 2) all that pretty skin gets ugly real fast on any drop.
Oh, she'll also never ride with you again. And neither will anyone who she'll talk to. Ever.

-Safety also involves knowing what's going on around you. It's better seeing and knowing something's wrong than hearing "Sorry, I didn't see him/her officer" while they scrape you onto a stretcher.

-Taking into account all the warnings and countermeasures, motorcycling is fun. Remember to enjoy it.

Originally posted by Sniper9
"The R1 requires a type of personality from someone. It requires someone who does not fear it, but respects it. If you start fearing the power of the R1, you're already dead. If you don't respect it, you're already dead."

-There are only two types of riders in this world: Those that divide the world into two types of riders, and those that don't.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!"

RIP Martin Dykier

Last edited by movado_perfect; 05-21-2006 at 05:01 PM..
movado_perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
SaloSV
MSF RiderCoach

Motorcycles: 2005 SV1000S
Name: Tom
After you do everything everyone else said, I want you to remember to....

RIDE!

EVERY FUCKING DAY!

"...there is nothing I detest more than the stench of lies." -- Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

tompyron.com
MySpace
SaloSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
Dre-z
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: 06' GSXR 1000/Reclaimed 02' GSXR 600
Name:
Amen to what ALANRIDER7 said.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attack™-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
You are your greatest threat. It's not the cars, it's YOU. Overestimating your abilities will likely get you into trouble.

The motorcycle is a machine. You are in control. If you don't want it to crash, then use the controls and MAKE it not crash. Crashes don't just 'happen', the rider allowed 1 or more things to build up to that crash.

You don't HAVE to crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #11
}Dragon{
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ╯(°□° ╯)

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Your Moms.
Name: Heywood J.
Quote:
Originally posted by Enchanter
You are your greatest threat. It's not the cars, it's YOU. Overestimating your abilities will likely get you into trouble.

The motorcycle is a machine. You are in control. If you don't want it to crash, then use the controls and MAKE it not crash. Crashes don't just 'happen', the rider allowed 1 or more things to build up to that crash.

You don't HAVE to crash.
May I add- that crashing is 98% driver error.

The cold tires didn't cause the crash.

The gravel doesn't cause a crash.

Don't shift the blame to the machine.
See the lightning in your eyes, see ‘em running for their lives- The Offspring
| TMU Local 916 Pitmaster
\Oo) _\ _w_ /_ (oO/
}Dragon{ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
Ratters
Is it summer yet?

Contributor

Motorcycles: '00.5 RSV Mille, '00 SV650 trackbike
Name: Maynard
Quote:
Originally posted by Enchanter

You don't HAVE to crash.
A-FUCKING -MEN!

I hate the phrase "there are two kinds of riders...." cause it's not an inevitability.

-- "Political tags -- such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth--are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire" -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 PM   #13
TylerW
Futuendi Gratia

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Re: A Message To Brand New Riders.

Quote:
Originally posted by ALANRIDER7
Welcome to the sport.
* First off - its not a sport unless you have a number and a grid placement. This is a hobby. Act accordingly.

Good judgement will trump good technique every time.

Your friends and family love you. They will worry about you. The responsibility of insuring you will see them again, in good health, rests upon your shoulders alone. Are you up to the task?

Listen much. Boast little.

Don't let your guard down.

Its like your mother always told you - look both ways before crossing the street. This especially applies at intersections -use it every time.

Take every piece of advice you hear with a grain of salt - but at the same time, never assume you know better.

Never let your guard down.

Ride with your friends, but don't be encouraged to keep up with them.

Ride with strangers, but don't feel required to prove something to them.

Try to remember at least one lesson from every ride you take. Don't be afraid to share it. It may save the life of someone else.

You are always a newbie. There is always more to learn.

Remember these things - someday you may inspire someone close to you to ride. Let them benefit as you have.

You can be riding the most demure, most forgiving of bikes, and wearing the top of the line protective gear. You are still one decision away from being killed in an instant. Never forget that.

Never, ever let your guard down.

* Apologies for quoting Alan out of context. I know he meant well, but I just had to say something about that.

Last edited by TylerW; 05-25-2006 at 10:03 PM..
TylerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
christofu
Pavement Inspector

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: CRF450 motor in a RS125 chassis!
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ratters
-
-chicks dig scars. But not THAT much.
Chicks dig scars that you get from swords and knife fights.

They do not dig the ugly pink splotches that may cover your body. So don't get any. Don't ever crash but prepared for it anyway by wearing good gear.

I have never crashed on the street. But I wear all my safety gear everytime anyway.
Chris Keane, ex-AFM #31.
christofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #15
mrc
hippo threat display

Contributor + Barf Brick Contributor

Motorcycles: '03 SV, '98 Concours
Name: Matt
I think I'm going to print a little label saying MAKE IT NOT CRASH and stick it on my triple clamp.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote