Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Moto Photos & Videos

Notices

Old 09-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
CruisingRam
Veteran

Motorcycles: Several
Name:
Bike trip through Alaska to middle earth and Mordor

Well, took a ride up to girdwood today on my way to lord of the rings land- I don't know how to post multiple pics on one entry- so here is my riding blog for today- you guys wanted Alaskan scenery pics. It was a cold ride down by the ocean- crisp fall day- about 60* and very windy. Knocked us around a bit on the way up- but the average 35mph tailwind made it really comfy on the way back. I will start with this pic looking up cook inlet very nice very fast very visible twisties that makes sport biking really, really cool on the way up. No blind corners to speak of! Not ones that are any fun anyway- traffic very, very light there and back on a monday night- and very, very fast. On the way back, I was averaging about 95mph, and an ST1300 passed me like I was standing still, and a group of my homies on sprotbikes were throwing sparks at about 120mph around one of our favorite corners off thier knee sliders!

willing to bet that almost all of the bikes that get tossed over the side at that corner and other similar ones could have, in fact, made the corner but that the rider pussied out midcorner and bailed. Which brings us to the second very basic and low level lesson, don't give up on the bike and if you find yourself too hot in a corner keep turning the bike and most likely you will make it. You owe it to yourself to at least try to make it rather than panic and give up like a bitch which is what usually happens.--

Budbandit
CruisingRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
I ran hard two up to girdwood, as we had about 2 hours of day light left when we left Anchorage. I wanted to go up trail at Crow Creek pass as far as they allowed motorized vehicles. There is a marathon ran here once a year that is, to say the least, a life challenge over- the -pass- run for 26.2 miles of death pain!

willing to bet that almost all of the bikes that get tossed over the side at that corner and other similar ones could have, in fact, made the corner but that the rider pussied out midcorner and bailed. Which brings us to the second very basic and low level lesson, don't give up on the bike and if you find yourself too hot in a corner keep turning the bike and most likely you will make it. You owe it to yourself to at least try to make it rather than panic and give up like a bitch which is what usually happens.--

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
So we get to the top of the trail and I take the sabre off road for about another mile past the no vehicles roadblock. It was a monday night, no hikers, no traffic at all, whatsoever. Hid the bike in the trees, sat down, had some beverages, stretched out for 10 minutes, headed back to Anchorage, took lots of pics on the way back.

When we got off the bike and looked around- we were all "oh man, this looks like a scene from the lord of the rings, some lonely place were an elf, dwarf, hobbits and men in skirts with chain mail should be takin' a late afternoon hike and shouting "we have to find shelter before night fall".

So we thought of this pic as the mountain pass to mordor, after the whole fall of the bad guy and it all turned green and cool.

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
okay- that looks like a nice hike into snowy territory huh? Glaciers not far from here!

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
I think this may be the mountain where all those little green herb growing Alaskan dwarfs live under.

What you are really getting is a 360* set of pictures of mountains and trails that lead from the trailhead here at the end of the road.

Also- it was part of the original Iditarod trail serum run. Ran from Seward to Nome orginally.

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
Here I am going all dirt biker on my 540lb old sabre!

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
This is the nice trail we ran a ways up. Nothing too bad really, the road to the trail was worse in places!

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
parked the bike- hiding a red bike?

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
couldn't even see the red bike at all less than thirty yards away !

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #10
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
My room mate would jump off the bike and take a picture on the way back- that way I didn't have to shut off the bike or take off my helmet and gloves. I kept the camera in my pocket, and she would jump off, take out the camera, take a pic, hope back on.

Daylight was going away- this is about 700pm, it is dark through here because of the cloud cover- it was actually quite light, but this is a temperate rain forest we are in. 144 inches of snow by november at the top of the tram and lodge 1!!

gravel road through a rain forest on a street bike- killer!

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
directly over the top of my helmet is the tram lodge that is at the bottom of the final lift up the mountain. This is Aleyska resort if you folks with Google earth want to check it out.

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #12
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
This is crow creek mine, stil getting gold and stuff from what I understand- but main revenue now is touristy stuff LOL

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #13
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
Here is the turnoff to crow creek pass trailhead and the switch from asphault to gravel road. If I turn right in this picture, I go to Anchorage, turn to the left- up to the Aleyska Prince Hotel and Aleyska Ski resort.

Budbandit
Old 09-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
Aegon
Bongo Maniac

Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawi
Name: Tom
Great pics, looks like fun.

Past the Turnagain on the seward highway lies some beautiful scenery. As a former Kenai resident, I've seen that stretch my share of times.

Thanks, CrusingRam.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #15
CruisingRam
Veteran

Name:
That is the main run for Aleyeska Ski Resort, the tram is pretty hidden from view- would be to the left, outside of the frame in this picture.

Budbandit