Notices

Old 10-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
ChuckBecker
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: FZ-07
Name: Chuck
Humboldt/Trinity

So my buddy Lee and I blasted out of Marin this morning at 8am. We planned this, carefully. It's a three day weekend for us. So at 8am this morning (Saturday) we hit Hicks Valley Road, to the Marshall Road, to Hwy 1 and then just rocked up the coast. He's a really quick guy, I can't keep up, but he pulls over and then leapfrogs me at strategic locations. We got to the top of Jenner Cliff (you know, just north of Jenner) and he suggested we head up Meyers Grade Road.

I'd never done that before, but was glad he took us that way. Oh, BTW, no pics, just words. We got pics, but he didn't bring the USB cable, so that's for later. Anyway, Meyers Grade Roade is nice, even on sportbikes/standards. It would be more fun on motards, but only the middle 5 miles or so are actually kind of goaty. Meyers Grade drops back down to Hwy 1 via Stewart's Point Road (the last, westerly, 4 miles). BTW, beautiful day so far, the weather was perfect.

Once we rejoined Hwy 1 it was time to rock. We stopped for gas at Gualala, quick pit stop. My bike was handling kind of sluggishly, atypical for a Speed Triple, so I checked the tire pressure. AHHHH, too low in the back so I took it from 32 up to 38 psi. That really helped, turn in and balance much better. We blasted through Point Arena, Manchester, Elk, across the Navarro River and into Fort Bragg. Our target was Fortuna to stage for a big loop tomorrow (Sunday). Lee's rear tire was shot when we gassed in Ft Bragg, luckily he's tight with the people there and Colombi (north end of town) had a tire.

Lee's B12 uses a 180 rear and Colombi only had a 170, Diablo Strada, but he took it. Free mounting! And the mechanic there did a really detailed job. If you're on the north coast and have motorcycle needs, Colombi get a big

OK, with a fresh rear tire, we were off for the Lost Coast. Did I say that Lee is fast? It's amazing what he does with that B12 (you'd have to see it to believe it). Anyway, we demolished Hwy 1 into Leggett, musta passed 30 vehicles. From Legget, 101 is actually pretty nice, and that's good because there's really no alternative. So next thing you know, we were north of Garberville and dove for the Avenua of the Giants. That was a really nice run today, just a SLIGHT amount of moisture here and there from the rain, on up to Rio Dell.

At Rio Dell we rejoined 101 and pounded it out to Fortuna. I forgot the directions to our hotel (Best Western) but NO PROBLEM they had signs all along the highway. We left Marin at 8am and rolled into the motel parking lot in Fortuna at 3pm. 276 miles, almost none of it on slab. And a tire change, and a couple of gas stops.

The Best Western in Fortuna is NICE! And with AAA discount, it's $73/night. And it's next door to the Eel River Brewing Company (actually, Motel 8 is closer, but blechhhhh, I'll take the Best Western). So we got checked in, cleaned up, took care of some admin stuff, and walked over to the ERB for dinner and BEER. If you are going to order the ERB burrito, do NOT eat anything else all day, before it shows up.

So tomorrow morning, we're out of here at 7am (breakfast at the motel starts at 6am, BTW). We are riding 36 to Red Bluff, then to Redding for lunch at the Black Bear Diner, then 299 back to the coast, and finally south on 101 back to Fortuna.

OK, it was a pretty good day. I'll try to find a USB cable tomorrow to post some pics. Ride safe.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
ChuckBecker
Veteran

1% Contributor

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, there are a TON of m/c's here and at the Motel 8. Mostly BMW's, go figure, some V-Stoms, and ONE CBR600. It's like a swarm. I asked around, but no one from BARF of S-T.N (sport-touring.net). I think we passed most of them on the way up here...
Old 10-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
ChuckBecker
Veteran

1% Contributor

To see the pics and how the trip turned out:

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...8&page=1&pp=20

I'm just too lazy to write it all up again...

From Marin it was 937 miles in 3 days. Almost zero slab, almost all on great roads. Not much mileage for the IBA guys, but we were tuckered out at the end.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
dsb
King of the slab!

Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ZR-7, 2000 Triumph Sprint RS (2 wheel money pit)
Name: Darrell
Sweet. Been follwing this on STN as well. I can't wait for the weekend!!

I go wherever my ZR-7 can take me, and not worry about the places it can't.
dsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
slowpoke
Veteran

AMA #: 1102172
Tattoos are gross™
I smell like mothballs...
Contributor + + + 3%

Motorcycles: Crash into trees...
Name: Asian Dan
Awesome!!!
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
ChuckBecker
Veteran

1% Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by slowpoke
Awesome!!!
Thanks! The whole weekend worked out great, weather was perfect, traffic wasn't TOO bad. The distances were fine for us, but we're not the Iron Butt type. Sunday (36/299) was a total of 10 hours door to door, but that included way more than an extra hour going down 3 to Hayfork and back. Without that, the whole loop would have been just over 8 hours.

As long as the weather holds, highly recommended ride for anyone who like variety!