Old 01-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Feanor
Unmasked

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: 2008 ZX-10R, 2004 KDX-220R
Name: David
"Let's be an Adventure!"

Alright,

Normally I would never point out anomalies in my wife's English. I think she does a fabulous job always and even the minor linguistic gyrations are endearing and a very small price to pay given she can speak so many different languages well.

but the phrase "Let's be an Adventure" is now etched indelibly in my mind as a sentence that will forever strike moderate concern into my heart!

We went on a weekend trip to Napa on the bikes as per Jocelyn's request and like a fool, I was overly concerned with her endurance and comfort, this being one of the longest stints she has ever done on the Ducati.

We started moderately early in the morning on 680 to 29 and then to Napa where we spent some time window shopping and got a quick bite to eat.

Tooling about in town I couldn't help but marvel at how relaxed J is on the bike now. She seems to do everything right. Waits a moment and checks both directions quickly before starting off from a traffic light in a busy intersection, smooth stops, smooth starts, scanning constantly while riding, wonderful posture, nice turn technique etc etc.

As we were suiting back up to leave, I assumed we were going home. When I mentioned this her response was "Can we keep riding a little more?" There was still plenty of light and had no problems with the request at all

We looked at the map (I left the GPS at home) and she immediately pointed to Clear Lake and exclaimed "Let's go there!"

"Clear Lake? Liebchen, that's quite a ways from here"

"I'm not tired, are you?"

I KNEW at that moment that it was now a loving test of wills and I still felt good so it was in effect, all good.

Off we went and with a short stop in Middletown just to sort of "scan it" We continued onward toward lower lake.

I've left out thus far how BEAUTIFUL the ride was and how relaxing! The weather this weekend was brisk, but clear and clean. Perfect riding weather with amazing roads! (thus far)

Getting within the vicinity of Lower Lake we stopped to get gas and I noted that sunlight was starting to wane. J wanted to keep going to see the lake, but I convinced her via the map that the distance we had to go would ensure that it would be late, dark, and cold as we got closer to home.

She reluctantly agreed, and but didn't want to go home the same way we came up as that would be, in her words, "boring" and so she pointed to a road I had never been on "Berryessa/noxville" which looked a bit winding on the map but was distinctly emphasized on the map compared to surrounding smaller roads and so I assumed it would be a nice detour. She also saw it passing Lake Berryessa and was excited to see water. She said "Let's be an Adventure!" to which I replied "All your bases are belong to us!" which she knows is my key phrase when she makes some small error in usage

Well, whoever decided to draw the goat path of a road we were on as if it was a major highway on the map should be buggered! ! It was in such bad repair and was filled with potholes (many of which were thankfully recently repaired) but despite that, the rougness of the passage was surprising to me!. In many places it was only one lane wide and it had about 6 water crossings over large cement slabs that had signs that said "Impassable During Rain"!

By the time we transitioned to nice smooth road again after miles and miles of this, I was pretty "vibrated" and my back was starting to kill me as I had to remain a little more tense with every hard bump the Ninja had to lope over on the rally road.

It was close to 5:30pm by the time we got home and we both motored into the garage simultaneously. I came to a stop and s-l-o-w-l-y swung my leg off the bike, stretching out my back.

J, in contrast literally jumped off her bike, kind of did her silly little bunny hop-clapping her gloved hands together dance expressing how much fun that was. I looked at my odometer 356 miles.

I wandered into the house stripping off my gear and hanging it up before semi-collapsing on the sofa... well actually I kneeled on the floor and rested my upper body on the sofa as that made my back feel better.

J, unpacked her things, got out of her gear, took a shower and immediately went across the street where they had invited us over for an impromptu party.

by the time she got back it was about 10:30 and I had been in the hot tub for the last 30 minutes. She joined me for a little while, and then we went to bed...

I had just switched off the light when I heard her voice in the dark...

"Can we go all the way to Clear Lake next weekend?

*...oh my aching back...*

Stefan

p.s. The two alternatives are that I am a wimp rider, or that she is Super-French-Ducati-Girl... Damnit, either way she wins!
"How many times has a cop looked over and said, 'There goes a Ninja' The name just stuck, like 'Crescent wrench', it's actually an adjustable end wrench made by Crescent Inc., but people know them as Crescent wrenches. Sportbikes are the same way, all sportbikes are Ninjas, especially if they're Kawasaki"

~ Nick Ienatsch
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Rhoadswielder
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1987 Ninja ex250
Name:
sounds like a great ride! kinda long yeah, but an adventure none the less. i'm sure by next weekend you'll be itchin for a ride again and be willing to go, hehe.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
GiorgioFurioso
on sabbatical

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big Wheel
Name:
The duc is much more comfortable for this sort of thing. Stefan, why not test ride an S2R1000 some time? You will luuuv it. If we ever meet, you could try mine.
Channel B represents 15 years of research and development for a warm solid state distortion. This channel, with no effects or gain on is the backbone for the supreme rock sound. - manual for the Gallien-Krueger 250ML
GiorgioFurioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
NoGall

AMA #: 690440
BARF Admin
Founding Member
BARFies '06, '08, '10, '14
Contributor ++++BB

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name: Tom
Pictures... For the love of God, pictures!!! Trip report should have PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NoGall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Eisernkreuz
unteroffizier

Contributor

Motorcycles: BMW R1100S
Name: Miran
The several water crossings were half the fun I loved that route..

Eisernkreuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Eisernkreuz
unteroffizier

Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by NoGall
Pictures... For the love of God, pictures!!! Trip report should have PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here are mine

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...ight=clearlake
Old 01-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
aszrael1266
Resident Squid

Motorcycles: 05 zx10 the big kawk.
Name: Raul
I remember coming back from a road trip to san diego. with some friends one of which was from korea. She would still use some words wrong every no and then. We go back into walnut creek close to midnight and the sprinklers at the apartments came on. The frist thing she said when she got wet was "The water is striking me." My friend and i just looked at each other then starting laughing.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
NoGall

BARF Admin
Founding Member
Contributor ++++BB

Quote:
Originally posted by Eisernkreuz
Here are mine

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...ight=clearlake
I forgot! I will add it in pronto!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
ChuckBecker
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: FZ-07
Name: Chuck
Great ride report, Feanor, thanks for sharing!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Sane_Man
Totally Tubular

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: 2003 40th Busa
Name: Pimpin' B
Quote:
He's going to torture us, 4ever.

I'm surprised he didn't mention his next door neighbor was riding on the back, bare-assed.

Yes I have a Wide S T A N C E, 29 inches.

"spelling correctly is for folks who are too dumb to think for themselves and can only memorize things" - The Amazing Kickstand

Participants shouldn't be turned off or scared by erections. "They happen." - Cuddle Parties
What is a cuddle party?
Sane_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
NoGall

BARF Admin
Founding Member
Contributor ++++BB

Quote:
Originally posted by Sane_Man
He's going to torture us, 4ever.

I'm surprised he didn't mention his next door neighbor was riding on the back, bare-assed.

On a more serious note... Thanks for sharing, Feanor! It's a good read even without pics. But...

WE WANT PICS, YOU HEAR!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
AbsolutEnduser
Throttle Pusher

Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
Re: "Let's be an Adventure!"

Quote:
Originally posted by Feanor
Alright,
... fabulous job ...
...linguistic gyrations ...
Okay. Did he say "lingo gyrations"? Hmm, so what is he saying here? :

But the phrase "Let's be an Adventure" ... is now etched ...endearing ...

I was overly concerned with her endurance and comfort.

We started moderately and got a quick bite.

Tooling about I couldn't help but marvel at how relaxed she is . She seems to do everything right. smooth stops, smooth starts, wonderful posture, nice technique etc etc.
"Liebchen, that's ..here"

"I'm not tired, are you?"

I KNEW at that moment that it was now a loving test of wills

We continued onward...

I've left out thus far how BEAUTIFUL the ride was and how relaxing!

J wanted to keep going, but I convinced her that it would be dark, and cold.

She reluctantly agreed.
She said "Let's be an Adventure!" to which I replied "All your bases are belong to us!"
By the time we transitioned after miles and miles of this, I was pretty "vibrated" and my back was starting to kill me!!! I had to remain a little more tense with every hard bump.

*...oh my aching back...*

Stefan

p.s. The two alternatives are that I am a wimp rider, or that she is Super-French-Ducati-Girl... Damnit, either way she wins!

Last edited by AbsolutEnduser; 01-23-2007 at 03:01 PM..
AbsolutEnduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
faz
Sexiest Ex-Mod around!ô

BARF Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor + +

Motorcycles: 07 zx14
Name: Faz
Quote:
Originally posted by Feanor
by the time she got back it was about 10:30 and I had been in the hot tub for the last 30 minutes. She joined me for a little while, and then we went to bed...
Quote:
Pictures... For the love of God, pictures!!!

+111

Great report... guess the upright seating position of the monster is a winning attribute, for her future adventures. Quick... get yourself one of these.

faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #14
Feanor
Unmasked

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: 2008 ZX-10R, 2004 KDX-220R
Name: David
Re: Re: "Let's be an Adventure!"

Quote:
Originally posted by AbsolutBeginner
Okay. Did he say "lingo gyrations"? Hmm, so what are is he saying here? :
I never said I didn't suffer the same affliction, just to a lesser degree Besides the whole thing was mainly to brag about my wife, since she did surprise me concerning how far she can ride without any apparent discomfort! I found that rather pleasing

Stefan
"How many times has a cop looked over and said, 'There goes a Ninja' The name just stuck, like 'Crescent wrench', it's actually an adjustable end wrench made by Crescent Inc., but people know them as Crescent wrenches. Sportbikes are the same way, all sportbikes are Ninjas, especially if they're Kawasaki"

~ Nick Ienatsch
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
Eisernkreuz
unteroffizier

Contributor

Quote:
I forgot! I will add it in pronto!
I thought you were adding the Skaggs ride The Clearlake ride doesn't fit your criteria, it was only like 150 miles from me