Old 03-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Motorcycles: '05 ZRX1200
Name: Ed
Oregon Trip Report (Finally)

B]NOTE;[/B] This was done a while back, in October XXXX, but I never posted a trip report- so here it is...........

I wanted to test my limits as a Sport Tourer, so I decided to make Oregon my goal. I have always admired those wacky IronButt folks. I have even ridin with a few of them, eg, Bronto, and Rocket Bunny... but I could not hang w/o doing a lot of

So, I knew that I must go solo (I'm kind of a loner anyway). This would allow me to go as slow or as fast as I wanted to go. I could stop and rest/eat as often as I needed.

So, on a chilly Monday in Oct., I pulled out of my driveway at 6;00am.

Honorary Member of the TMU (Trouble Makers Union) local 650.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!

Last edited by lefty; 03-23-2007 at 11:56 AM..
lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Prior to the trip, I made a few mods to my bike-

1. I purchased a Radar Detector and Mount.

2. I got an Alaska Leathers Butt-Pad for my seat.

3. I installed a set of Throttlemeister (heavy) bar-ends/cruise control.

I read all of the tips on the Iron Butt riders website. It is a great resource, BTW!!

Those guys/gals are hardcore.

Me, I'm a wimp- I choose to take a DIRECT route to Medford, Oregon via Hwy 5. My goal was to spend as much time in Oregon as possible.

Here I am at my first rest stop in Vallejo. I took the Dumbarton Bridge to Hwy 880 to 80 East.

I asked the guy who was cleaning the bathroom if he would take my picture. This actually took quite a long time to get this done, as I cannot speak Spanish and the guy was VERY nice, but neither one of us could understand the other.

Also, my camera is a Canon Rebel Ti SLR, so that may have made things a little more complicated

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

See, you Honda, Yami and Suzuki owners are sooo lucky...........when you own a ZX9-R, you have to find Dumpsters/Garbage Cans to park your bike next to, in order to make it look good in pictures.

Well after two cups of Gas Station coffee and going potty and talking to 20 people.......... I decided to get back on the road.

But, before I did so- I decided to ditch my Alaska Leathers Buttpad, because it made me feel too "HIGH". It raised me up another inch, but it felt as though I was sitting 6 inches higher and the bike felt twitchy.... perhaps I was twitchy from too much coffee

So, I stuffed it into my tankbag and plugged into the Greatful Dead on my Diskman.

Man, music REALLY helps on a looong ride.

My next stop was on I-5 at that BIG Truck stop outside of Woodland, CA. That's where I spotted this guy.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!

Last edited by lefty; 03-23-2007 at 11:59 AM..
Old 03-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

He was actually rather pissed-off at me for taking these pics of his mistake.

The guy did not seem to have a sense of humor at all......

I did not talk to him, I was just parked there taking a break from my ride. I already had my new camera in my hand and I'm sure that aggravated him even more..............

So, after he walked inside to pay his bill, I snapped these photos.

BTW- I was having a good time on the bike. I found that I needed to stop after each hour though.

My bike had already been modded the previous year by Joebar4000. He installed Galfer Braided Lines/New Pads, Heli Bars and my Heated Grips. I installed ZG Double Bubble windscreen, Pazzo Levers, and LP360 pegs, which lower the pegs by 1 inch.

The ZX9-R is a comfy "Sport Bike", but it's still a Sport Bike, and my body was starting to whine,,,,,,,,,, just a little.

I also, had no idea of what I was about to encounter on my way up North... SUPER Strong Winds from the West, that would push me around like a Vegan Hippy in a Hells Angels Biker Bar.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!

Last edited by lefty; 03-23-2007 at 12:03 PM..
Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

The strong winds were really taking their toll on me. I was chanting all of the things that I've learned over the years and from reading about riding in bad weather;

Relax, maintain a loose grip on the bars, grip the tank with your knees, try not to cry like a baby.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

After doing battle with the super strong winds, I decided to take my next break in the town where Thunderhill racetrack is located,,, in Willows??

I did my first trackday there several years ago with Keigwin. I learned a LOT that day. The number 1 thing I learned was this; I SUCK!!!! I had already been riding for 20+ years, and I thought my Gixxer750 made me Uber Cool. Boy was I wrong.

I found a booth at the Black Bear restaurant and hoped that the winds would subside. (FAT CHANCE), as I ate my HUGE meal.

--this was another mistake that the Iron Butt guys said to avoid--

I had to man-up and get back on the bike and chug my way to Oregon. It was only 12;00 noon and I was already tired............
where's my dress

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Northern California has some REALLY Beautiful rest areas. They are sooo nice and there is always some very helpful men waiting in the bathroom to help you take your gear off.............

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

After being treated so well at the first rest-stop, I had the urge to go Potty again............. must have been all that coffe I drank at the Black Bear..

Guess what!! I ran into another REALLY helpful person.

Go Figure?

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Well, I started to put the Hammer down and make a little progress.

I was looking for place to take a Break when I saw the sign for Weed, CALIF. I just knew that I had to stop there.

Also, You have a BEAUTIFUL backdrop for taking pictures.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Daredevil
Modest Max

Motorcycles: 08 r4.5 race, 01 ninja 250 street
Name:
my friend lives in weed

super nice, but super boring.

p.s. are/were you ever in the military?
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #11
Ezekiel

Founding Member
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: R6, FJR1300, V-star 1100, DRZ400SM
Name: Joe
So you stopped in Vallejo and your next stop was in Woodland? Jeez Lefty, with stops that frequent I'm amazed you made it to Oregon at all!

Good on ya for going though...and I see the fishing pole strapped to the side, did you put it to good use????
Ezekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Quote:
Originally posted by Daredevil
my friend lives in weed

super nice, but super boring.

p.s. are/were you ever in the military?
It did remind me of a "One Horse Town". Although, I did not stray far from the freeway offramp.

No, I was never in the Military- I wanted to join the Marines, but they would not let me in because of my eyesight. DAMN!!! I was soo damn gung-ho at 18 y/o. I was a bodybuilder and I would have made a damn fine Marine. Their loss.

Back to the story-

I met this beautiful woman who was driving a 35 ft. Motorhome. It was one of those ones that looked as though it cost $500K!!

It was nice. She came over and talked motorcycles with me. She had her young Son with her. She took the picture above. She was a SUPER nice person.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #13
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Quote:
Originally posted by Ezekiel
So you stopped in Vallejo and your next stop was in Woodland? Jeez Lefty, with stops that frequent I'm amazed you made it to Oregon at all!

Good on ya for going though...and I see the fishing pole strapped to the side, did you put it to good use????
An iron butt rider is not made overnight. He must be carefully molded like the branches of the mighty oak.

C'mon, gimme a break,,, a 'rest-break', that is.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #14
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

No more comments from the Penis Gallery

.........Ezekiel, do you mind if I finish my story?

(DAMN- I feel like that Geico Caveman)

I stopped in Red Bluff and chatted with about 20 more people (it's called STALLING).

The rest stops are BEAUTIFUL. This one was no exception.

It was only 2;00pm, but I was feeling rather spent, so I thought; why not check into a Motel and check out the local 'fine' dining and beverage establishments.

I headed up the road and checked into a Best Western in Redding, CA. I made certain to find a hotel with a hot tub.

And, being a cautious m/c owner- I made certain that I could keep an eye on my trusty steed from my bedroom window.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

FYI-

Bob Marley jamming "Exodus- da movement of the people" does wonders for your riding spirit.

I love the Album; 'Babylon By Bus' I use a Sony Diskman and some super expensive (for me) $65 Sony Earbuds. They fit into your ears like earplugs are do not give you a headache while wearing a helmet.

I know that I could have continued on to Oregon, but I decided to 'go at my own pace', that's the beauty of solo travel.

I walked to Carls Jr. for dinner. It was 1 1/2 miles away- I had asked the lady at the front desk "if there was any good places for fude nearby= within WALKING distance. She said, "Yes- there's a Carls Jr. right up the street". DAMN- that lady must be a Kenyan Marathoner, because that was a looong walk.

While I was in the Carls Jr, this 110 y/o guy starts asking me questions, such as; "Where are you from, do you have kids, do you believe in God", you know, the normal questions you ask strangers -after you have been staring at them for the last 120 seconds (without blinking).

Anyway, I indulged the old guy. I knew that he was on borrowed time and perhaps I'd learn something in the process.

Well, when I said; "No, I only have four-legged kids (dogs)", he got all preachy about how "EVERYONE should have kids- who is going to carry on your name...blah blah blah" The guys Wife was telling him to stay calm. It was rather entertaining really.

I finished my meal while being talked down to by "Mr. Borrwed Time" and walked back to my Hotel...........as I walked into the Best Western parking lot I saw this BEAUTIFUL motorcycle parked at the hotel. WOW!!!! It is nice. I could not believe that this bike was actually being ridden by someone and not sitting in the Jay Leno or Barber Museum- it was that nice!!!!

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!

Last edited by lefty; 03-23-2007 at 09:43 AM..