Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Notices

Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
wsmc831
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1997 TL1000s 2010 690 Enduro R 2013 500Exc 2017 1290 Super Duke R
Name:
Little Alaska trip

So, been doing a week+ trip with friends since 94, this year we decided to explore some new areas as we've been everywhere from New Mexico to North Dakota to central BC and all roads in between, so flew up to Anchorage and rented bikes from Phil at AkRider.

Only did 2k miles but about 500 of those were gravel, getting from Tok, AK to Dawson in the Yukon, and heading north from Fairbanks to Coldfoot on the Haul Road 60 miles inside the Arctic Circle.

No real drama except Theo launching his bike off a cliff on the Top of the World Hiway into trees and totalling his second bmw in as many years, fortunately he's got plenty of money and wasn't hurt so serious issues avoided.

The KLR worked great for a dirtbike on the road, vstroms were pretty poor offroad, F650 Dakar's were the best all around bike.

Entering Canada on the T.O.T.W hiway. Gravel road for about 100 miles with a little border crossing in the middle of nowhere, general elevation was 4-5k feet. The little KLR will hit 90 on gravel when being chased by a massive rain cloud

The road is up there about 30 feet. Took 5 of us to haul/ride the bike back up as the sat phone was sporatic and Dawson and a wrecker were 30 miles away...

Hit the sign and continued north for another 60 miles. No, it never get's dark up there this time of year and difficult to tell the time after about 8 pm.

Camped in Coldfoot inside the circle and road an ATV trail to a stream. Avoided local mother Moose, apparently the most dangerous animal around, but didn't avoid the rainstorm that lasted all night.

Jeff, friend I race enduro's with, finds out how bad the vstrom is on slimy trails, dumps it over and possibly blows his MCL (get's it scanned today)..

.....continued.....
Old 07-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
NoGall

AMA #: 690440
BARF Admin
Founding Member
BARFies '06, '08, '10, '14
Contributor ++++BB

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name: Tom
I need to learn dirt So, did Theo have to ride bitch? Or get a replacement to finish the trip?

Thanks for sharing. I so want to go back to BC.
NoGall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Awesome!...

That is adventure riding.

budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
wsmc831
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by NoGall
I need to learn dirt So, did Theo have to ride bitch? Or get a replacement to finish the trip?

Thanks for sharing. I so want to go back to BC.
Nope, we wrangled his bike back up on the road and he rode it to Tok, about 100 miles, like it was. Rode west the next morning and Phil from AKRider actually met him on a sunday outside Anchorage to hand him another bike, free of charge...the guys is incredible.

We'll be riding to BC next summer (again), this was our first fly/ride trip and generally perfer using our own bikes but for obvious reasons they wouldn't work in AK.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
wsmc831
Veteran

Name:
www.akrider.com

Phil is the MAN!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
slydrite
On a brake

Contributor ++++ 2%

Motorcycles: are why we're here, right?
Name: Hey You
Feckin awesome....that's great info to know that one can rent AK capable bikes up there, as that saves prolly a week in transit to AK...

Hope your buddies knee is ok...

dream ride fer me!!!

Rgal, are you listening?!?!?

"Apexes - how the f**k do they work?!?!"
slydrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
Sounds like a great trip! Keep the report commin!

BTW, last fall when I was riding the Oregon Backroads Discovery Trail we came across a couple riding dirt bikes in some random OHV area. It turned out that they were the owners of AKRider. Very nice people who like to ride. I hope their business is doing well.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
wsmc831
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by boney
Sounds like a great trip! Keep the report commin!

BTW, last fall when I was riding the Oregon Backroads Discovery Trail we came across a couple riding dirt bikes in some random OHV area. It turned out that they were the owners of AKRider. Very nice people who like to ride. I hope their business is doing well.
Phil isn't making any money at it, though he didn't charge for things like driving 300 miles on sunday to deliver a replacement bike...which he should!

He's trying to get a deal with a manufacturer to showcase their bikes, hopefully that helps.

TONS of people up there doing similar or more. Met a married couple on a vstrom 1k at the Yukon river heading north, they rode up from Houston. Another fellow on a KTm adventure that had ridden out from Pittsburg...our little week trip paled compared to most people up there, but no time to spend riding up and back.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
kubiks
Chaps

Motorcycles: make me smile so hard my eyes close.
Name: Stephanie
Dood, I was sooo there. The arctic circle and everything. Have my own pic of that sign
I went on the back of a BMW K100...back before I knew how to ride myself. Oh, the stories...from the Neufee we met in BC who I thought was going to kill us in our sleep to all those damn camper things all the old people pull. Those things kick up some big a$$ stones! Ouch.

Took us 1.5 months from Upstate NY to the Arctic Circle and back. We camped out the whole way too. Even in 40 deg weather and high winds.

And I'm proud to say that before we left BC, we FINALLY found a moose with a big rack. That was like the goal of the trip (well, not really, but it's a funny story...picture two people in full gear, helmets included, running toward a moose).

I plan to go back someday on my own bike.

Oh yea, and to the MCL guy...I have a torn PCL as a souvenier from our trip. Bike fell over on me at a gas station on the AK highway. I think we broke the center stand twice (and got it welded for a 12 pack of Bud).
SMRRC #60
Bike World Motorsports
Evolution Suspension

------------------------------------------------
Me: "Did you ride here?"
Matt: "I couldn't, my carbs fell off."

"If you listen to the sound of your own voice, you can rise above doubt and judgement...and you can see forever. "
kubiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
wsmc831
Veteran

Name:
lol...you know how to travel as well I see :-)

fortunately it wasn't his mcl!

you ran towards a big moose? I'll avoid em. Almost hit one in the rain near Yellowstone a few years back, they look much bigger looking through a helmet at 40 mph :-)
Old 07-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
kubiks
Chaps

Motorcycles: make me smile so hard my eyes close.
Name: Stephanie
Quote:
Originally posted by wsmc831
lol...you know how to travel as well I see :-)

fortunately it wasn't his mcl!

you ran towards a big moose? I'll avoid em. Almost hit one in the rain near Yellowstone a few years back, they look much bigger looking through a helmet at 40 mph :-)
We almost hit a buffalo. Dang things are so big and slow...and they just stand in the middle of road!

Well, I hope you really enjoyed your trip. I know I learned alot from mine. Next time I'm riding my own bike!
SMRRC #60
Bike World Motorsports
Evolution Suspension

Me: "Did you ride here?"
Matt: "I couldn't, my carbs fell off."

"If you listen to the sound of your own voice, you can rise above doubt and judgement...and you can see forever. "
kubiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
wsmc831
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by kubiks
We almost hit a buffalo. Dang things are so big and slow...and they just stand in the middle of road!

Well, I hope you really enjoyed your trip. I know I learned alot from mine. Next time I'm riding my own bike!
eh, didn't learn a whole lot, this is the first trip in 14 that we've rented bikes and won't do it again until we leave the continent for a trip