Notices

Old 09-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
motoproponent
Demon of the Glass Vagina

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: 2014 KTM 1190ADV
Name: Jeffe
Cool Riding the “Wildcat” and finding the lost coast

Yet another reason why we live in the greatest place on earth. At the P&W a few weeks ago me and Georgiofurioso hatched a plan to ride to Ensenada over the long weekend. Well I being a slave to the man threw a wrench into that plan so a magazine article about the Lost Coast served as the impetus for another shorter ride.

California’s Lost Coast is the last stretch of undeveloped coastal wilderness. It is serviced by only one road, Mattole Road (called the wildcat by locals). Head north till you come to Legget and the end of Hwy 1 and keep going. Through the incredible redwoods to Fortuna and you’ll come to Fernbridge. It was built in 1911 and was an engineering marvel in its day. It was the longest all-poured concrete bridge in the states. Just up the road was Petrolia. The first place oil was struck in California.

While little historical milestones were all around, they paled in comparison to the scenery. There were times when we felt as though the whole place belonged to us. You would crest a hill or round a corner and just stop in the middle of the road to look. Then you would remember that you had a camera and snap a pic or two. I quickly realized that the pictures couldn’t do this place justice.

I’m thankful I had friends to share it with.

Despite my horrible navigating skillz, I managed to get us everywhere we wanted to go. But the trooper for the weekend was The_Phantom. Despite being on some of the roughest, most technical roads ever, aboard a borrowed literbike even, she kept her cool and rode her own ride. Good job.

With the “Wildcat” in the bag and the Lost Coast found, it was back to the base camp in Garberville. After we talked our waitress off the ledge we had a belly full of food and it was time for some cocktails after a day well ridden. In the morning we got up, and I rallied the crew for the ride home. (That was like herding cats!!) We had breakfast, stopped at the Chandelier Tree and rode the CA HWY1 from its termination point all the way back to Tomales for some BBQ Oysters.

The other guys got better pics than me. I think there may even be a video or two popping up.

The fiscal year begins October 1, I’ll put together another ride like this after that and before the rainy season starts. The article that started this ball rolling was “Dual-Sporting the Lost Coast”. The next ride will contain a bit more roughage and will be based out of Shelter Cove.

Keep in mind that these pictures are strictly documentation that we were there. You can’t really capture how big the trees were, or the spectacle of the Lost Coast, or riding the tip of HWY1 as the fog wafts through the tops of the trees.

The ride to Garberville was uneventfull. We did come across this abandoned overlook that overlooked a river.

WHen we got to the hotel we dropped our bags, got a bite to eat and headed out. The Avenue of the Giants led us up north.

"How wrong can a butt be, really"- WandaMaximoff
motoproponent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
motoproponent

1% Contributor

It took some looking but eventually we found Mattole Road.

As the road creasted a hill you could see what was in our very near future.

It was something like this.

The gang all posed for a picture, then we jumped the wall and went to the beach

On the return from the coast the back half of Mattole Rd ran through another stand of huge redwwods that really put the Avenue if the Giants to shame. Not only were the trees huge but the road was barely more than a lane wide. and deserted!!

None of my pics came out too good. We dubbed this section "The Moon of Endor". This is the only one I got that turned out.

I hope the other guys got something better

Back at Base Camp. The Lone Pine Hotel.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
motoproponent

1% Contributor

Monday after breakfast we had to get a shot of "Nacho Mama" the little organic taco stand next to the gas station. We asked the sole employee to take a picture. He took about 27 pictures 'cause he just held the button down on drive mode.I guess I should have set up the shot for him. Oh well my bad, my bad picture that is!

Chandelier Tree. with BARFing

That's a big freaking tree mang!!

Luckily on the way back we passed some of the cool sights I missed on the "Glass Beach Ride"

Old 09-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
Roadstergal
Sergeant Jackrum

Contributor ++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Pending
Name: Looney
Very well-written-up, man. Fun to read.

Last edited by Roadstergal; 09-04-2007 at 04:26 PM..
Roadstergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
The_Phantom
Мекс

Motorcycles: Ninja 650r
Name: PYT
But most importantly I stayed the whole night

Sylvia was good to me thanks for letting me ride her Jeff..... and yes she was hawt
Nick- is that an icon?
Jason- the day you see me wearing icon is the day you see me riding a pink tricycle, neked, with a strap on sticking out of my ass!
The_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Grunz
Veteran

Motorcycles: 02 f4i
Name:
Great pics Jeff! Totally right about the scenary and company being beyong pictures or words. Several times coming down mattole I just couldnt help but stop nad gawk at the sights.

I'll put up my pics a bit later too. What a fun trip!!! +10000000

Yea Ruth gets a big for handling that big SV.

The look on her face when I said at the first meet point (top secret *$) - hey Ruth thats an SV1000 aint it - followed by her response of "whaaaaat I've been riding a literbike!!!"- was fucking funny.

So many funny moments - gotta steal a pen next time and keep notes.
Grunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
motoproponent

1% Contributor

looking in the other threads in Moto Photos, it looks like every one went somewhere this weekend
Old 09-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
dlow
old guy

Motorcycles: nighthawk 750
Name:
Is that abandoned overlook part of the old highway?
dlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
dub713
Gettin' SWIVVY with it...

Motorcycles: 675
Name:
i'll get mine up as soon as i resize and crop a few. sometime tomorrow. er, today...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
kevin350
Hawthorne Racing $2.75

Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: 1987 GSXR750
Name:
Wow, nice ride and good pics. You guys gotta PM me about this stuff sometimes. I ended up riding to Tahoe and just plain roasting in 100+ degrees in the Valley on the way there and back.
kevin350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
nomoduc
Vroom vroom

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Hawk GT, 83 Guzzi SP1000, 01 TL1000S
Name: Lynn

Man,talk about a house with a view. Awesome pics and write up
Old 09-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #12
dub713

Name:
i've got a ton more to upload but i'll start with this batch taken mostly with the little cam, while on the ride.

First shot of the day, coming off the Richmond Bridge on the way to *fucks to meet the rest of the gang...

motoproponent telling us how he really feels about being at *fucks at 7.30am...

phantom and sparky adding their 2 cents...

random road shots...

Old 09-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #13
dub713

Name:
arrived in Garberville, checked in, dropped bags, ate, and then took off on the loop up the Avenue of the Giants and out to the Lost Coast...

our accomodations.

Avenue of the Giants...

Grunz checking out some big wood...

thirty, schmirty...

Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 AM   #14
dub713

Name:
Ferndale. Where you catch Mattole Road out to the coast.

first part of it is a beat up goat trail. great if you're on a GS, otherwise, not the most exciting of roads, until you get to the top...

Cool old bridge. this is actually after the Lost coast out in Honeydew, but i'll post it now since all the other photos are from the big camera and i haven't uploaded those yet.

more tomorrow. er, later today...
Old 09-10-2007, 02:09 AM   #15
wannabe
"Insignificant Other"

2006 Barfie
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: yes
Name: Aris
Sweet trip!

(Man, I really need to get out and ride more.)

Martin Dykier (1975-2003)
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote