Old 03-22-2004, 09:44 AM   #1
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Motorcycles: '05 ZRX1200
Name: Ed
Talking Trip Report; Lake Lopez

I had a GREAT time!!! Thanks to RocketBunny, Hyperlite and Bronto!!
You guys are awesome!!!!! I'm sorry for being a wimp. I was soo damned tired that I had to get a hotel. I could not imagine sleeping on the ground after that ride.

Honorary Member of the TMU (Trouble Makers Union) local 650.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Talking Oh, this is Hwy 25

You guys can really ride. They are REAL ironbutts.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:48 AM   #3
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

The ground was too hard...

This is what my body needed after a VERY long day in the saddle.

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:52 AM   #4
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Thumbs down hotel VS. campground

The older I get,,, the more 'important' these become...

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:55 AM   #5
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Talking ready to roll

ready to leave 'my' camping spot......, right after using their towels to wash my bike

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!

Last edited by lefty; 03-22-2004 at 10:00 AM..
Old 03-22-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Duhhhhhh....

here's the picture...

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 10:04 AM   #7
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

I could not locate the group....

When I went back to the lake, this is all I saw......
had they been 'zapped' by Aliens and turned into Turkeys?

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 10:07 AM   #8
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

No. I'm the Turkey for wimping out. But, like Clint Eastwood said;
"A Man's Gotta Know His Limitations".
I knew that I needed a beer, a shower and a bed.................
p.s.- That Ranger lady sure was friendly....

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:28 AM   #9
DanZX9R
Veteran

Hall Of Fame Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor

Location: Down in the Burbs of Walnut Creek, or up at the ranch!!
Motorcycles: 2004 CRF450R,2002 ZX9R, 2003 CRF150, 2004 CRF50 "Hunters Bike"
Name: Daddio
Mickeys and Champain ?!?! what kind of Party were you planing?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to The Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
DanZX9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:24 PM   #10
lefty
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor+++

Like I said, the Ranger Lady was super friendly....
j/k

I LOVE DOGS!!!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #11
Hyperlite
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: sure
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by lefty
Like I said, the Ranger Lady was super friendly....
j/k
HAHA hope she gave you some good directions.
Glad you enjoyed the route, sorry we rushed you through it. I will be posting my report with pics soon. I've been sicker than a dog all weekend long and am just recovering now. I even had to call in sick to work today. We're still waiting on Bronto's pics too, hope some of those on bike shots managed to come out.

Tony
Old 03-23-2004, 01:03 PM   #12
Bronto
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ѡ
Name:
Posted up pictures in photo section.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...threadid=65646

Get well soon, that was long ride to take with a Cold. RocketBunny sure is a task master, kept the ride going.

Was a section of road heading into Parksfield. Lefty and I were behind a drilling semi truck. Plugin along at a good pace.
I see this huge red Semi and trailer rig closing fast in the rear view mirrors. Billowing smoke from it's pipes, cutting corners, could here gears shifting and engine roaring. I think he was racing us Reminded me of that Dennis Weaver Movie (Duel).
Is a memorable ride, must do it again.

Last edited by Bronto; 03-23-2004 at 01:06 PM..
Bronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:03 AM   #13
Hyperlite
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Another report

Okay, my turn.

Yup- even though I really didn't feel up to this trip at the last minute, we still managed to pull it off. Thank you Rocketbunny.

I learned of quite a few kinks I have to work out for any future trips I do, mainly on supplies that are needed, inckuding the flash card for our camera that yours truely left in the laptop back home. Fortunately Bronto is loaded with gear and hooked us up with a card . We packed as light as possible and ended going too light. I also came down with a stubborn cold Thursday night that is just now abating.

Friday morning after getting a slow start and running a few minutes late, we arrive to find Lefty all smiles and Bronto hard at work on his nail punctured rear tire.

Bronto did an excellent job patching that poor tire while Lefty and myself fueled up (banana's and a cliff bar ) and then we were on our way. We proceeded past Calero and Uvas resevoirs and slabbed it to Hwy 25. Enjoyed the scenic cruise along 25, nodding to a dear friend along the way, and wound our way to Peach Tree Rd. Slid through there to refill in San Miguel, doubled back to Indian Valley Rd and found ourselves in Parkfield, the earthquake capital of the world, for a late lunch.

We left Parkfield and stopped at Hwy 41/46 to clean our face shields. Deciding that we were short on light and stamina (and my cold really taking its toll on me), we head out to 101 along 46 and reach our destination, nearly 300 miles from the start. We get to enjoy listening to Lefty's ranger friend argue with a group of totally innocent kids while she is discrimninating against them, stating that they can not camp there because 'experience tells her that bad things will happen'. She finally has a change of heart when she realizes their parents had sent them in to register for a couple additional sites. I really hope Lefty was able to show her some compassion, she looked like she could use some

We set camp with Rocketbunny really coming through yet again and getting the tent set up with Bronto's help while I try to find the instructions. Meanwhile, Lefty decided to follow our ranger celebrity into town and rent a hotel room for the evening. Last I heard, Mickey's and champagne were involved .

I then set up the sleeping bags and crash while the rest of the gang runs into town to bring back food, a gallon of chocolate milk and pringles .
Old 03-25-2004, 11:04 AM   #14
Hyperlite
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Saturday we woke up to find this scenery surrounding us

We then walked around, checking out the lake and taking in the sights.

It now being lunch time and no Lefty in sight, the three of us roll out in search of Rocketbunny's favorite clam chowder in Pismo Beach. We enjoy the lovely traffic, weed our way through a sea of pedestrians forced off the sidewalks due to a massive remodel find where this infamous 'Splash Cafe' is that serves the clam chowder and park, bidding our farewells to Bronto. Once we find that there is a line around the block just to get in, I manage to weasel my way out of my obligations to try the clam chowder and we instead stroll over to the pier and check out the beach. Next stop- the San Louis Obispo Promenade for lunch.

We head back to our campsite and find out that we missed our friend Lefty by a matter of minutes. Too bad, now we won't be able to enjoy the lake fishing with the expert. We make our comical attempt at it anyway only to realize I didn't bring enough tackle. After donating the little I had to the lake, we head back and have dinner. YAY! Time to light a fire! Set up the firewood that I managed to cram into my saddlebags while on our way back from lunch and get started.
Lesson: you need something to light the fire other than one small paper pamplet and matches that only burn for 2 seconds (some type that is guaranteed to burn under any conditions, I made the mistake of not testing them first)..

Fortunately one of our neighbors was gracious enough to hook us up with lighter fluid and we were able to feed ourselves warm food .

Get another late start the next day due to my cold, here we are loading up.

The return trip consisted of Hwy 1, cut across salinas to 101. Should've taken us ~3 hours, we ended up taking several. I ended up having to pull over after only heading down 1 for 30 minutes. My eyes wouldn't stay focused, my hands started trembling, then my feet started tingling. Once I started hyperventilating and my skin was tingling from head to toe I had to pull over. I figure my system was going into shock and if I didn't pull over when I did, on the only turn out for miles, I would have probably passed out and crashed within a couple of minutes. Take some more cold medicine, eat a banana and cliff bar and finish off a bottle of water. An hour later we head out to Cambria for lunch. Very interesting, artsy town, well worth the stop. Here is us getting going again after a 2 hour break, me still looking like sh$%.

Going along Hwy 1 south of Big Sur is breathtaking. Definitely a route everyone should take- Big Sur to San Simeon/Hearst Castle. The wind was incredible along the way though, taking sharp turns with the bike standing straight up or just having the bike flick side to side underneath you just to stay in your line. Made things very interesting.

We were never really held up by cars too much until we hit Big Sur, where we found a pack of about 20 cars with the standard tourist holding up the RV's . For fun we decided to pass a couple cars, get settled back into line, approach a rise in the road and see a light bar of an approaching CHP SUV. WHEW! 10 seconds earlier and we would've had fun explaining that pass . Home sweet home from here now, we decide to just cut across through salinas and slab it up 101. Total distance for Rocketbunny was about 600 miles with me pulling about 550 miles as I slept through some of the errands she ran with Bronto.

An all around great ride with good people. Can't wait to do something like this again

Last edited by Hyperlite; 03-25-2004 at 11:08 AM..
Hyperlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:32 AM   #15
almstsobur
Veteran

Motorcycles: 98 K1200RS, 08 K1200S
Name:
Wow, that place looks great this time of year. Looks like a great ride.

-Robert