BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Notices

Old 03-30-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
lfrc322
Veteran

Motorcycles: Currently Kawi ZZR 400 previously: 83 KZ 750, '02 VFR 800 (snow equipted and tested) and 88 EX 500
Name: Luis
Santa Barbara Trip Report (long read)

As the regulars know, I had been planning a trip down to Santa Barbara from the bay area for a day trip. (original thread) Well this past weekend the trip happend. Sunday I had decided would be the day. I contacted my friend in Santa Barbara and we made plans for lunch and then I had to make my plans for the ride. Thanks to the suggestions of fellow riders and visual assistance from our MOD's website. I planned my route.

The southboung trip consisted of going the "long way" and taking in as much non hwy 101 scenery as possible. I headed down to Hollister through 101 and turned on to head on to hwy 25. In doing so my first accomplishment of the day was reached, I broke 10,000 miles on my bike (which i got brand new 9 months ago ) I rode down Hwy 25 first. That had been my first real Hwy 25 ride. I had been out on 25 before but just for some short stints due to taking backroads around 25. Anyway, so from Hollister I took hwy 25 south to the King City intercection and cut through king city. Hwy 25 was wonderful. A few long straitaways (know I know a bit better how fast my bike will carry me) and constant twisties which helped me regain back some for my confidence on turns/twisties, which had been faltering a bit lately. So into King City I went. Nothing short of a blink and then you were past it. The reason that I had gone through King City was to take Jolon road from there south. Unfortunately it slipped my mind of which road i was supposed to have taken and ended up on 101 where I exited on Lookwood/San Lucas road, which would still drop me into the town of lockwood, where my next road change was to happen anyway. Lockwood road is a great road in my opinion. It is a nicely paved otherwise would be goat trail. I doesnt even have lines painted on it. But it cuts through the mountains and through some valleys with combinations of easy twisties and nice smooth turns.

Upon arriving to lockwood and Jolon intersection, I kept going strait which was the original road which i wanted to take in the first place (yes i had a map book w/ me for this trip, handy thing to have). This new road is called Interlake Road & Nacimiento Lake, depends on which part of the county line (monterey or SLO) you are on, but it is still the same road. The road take you around the San Antonio Reservoir and Lake Nacimiento. This road is clean, and for right now very deprived of many cars which I'm sure will change once summer hits since there are boat ramps and camping sites located along both lakes. (Sport touring camping trip anybody?) From Nacimiento Lake, I took a right on Chemney Rock and then onto Vineyard drive, which connected me with hwy 46 and into Paso Robles. Along this roads is when I started to see the other bikes for the day, but they were mostly harleys. After a quick wave to Harring10 while on the road, i got on to 101 once again. Good thing that I didnt stop in since I might have swapped that luggage onto my VFR and then be off again, maybe next time.

The stint on 101 was fairly uneventful as it was 101 and boring to boot. Finally south of Santa Maria and just north of Solvang, I did another road change suggested in the Pashnit website. Hwy 154 which dropped me off into the north part of santa barbara was a beautiful road except for the fact that for large chuncks of it, it is a two lane road w/o many placed to pass b/c of traffic, to take advantage of those passing lanes when they come up. The first half of 154 in my opinion had alright views. After seeing hills and lakes on several stretches of the road already, the views had lost a little of their luster but they were still wonderful. That changed as soon as I made it over the hill and started my downhill stretch towards SB. Looking out towards the bay and th mountains, well the view was beautiful. Unfortunately, there werent any decent turnouts and it was still a 2 lane road so no picture opps on this one sorry. Off 154 there is hwy 192 which supposedly is a very nice road but my time to be in Santa Barbara for lunch was quickyly approaching and 192 would have dropped me too far south (into Carpinteria) of where i needed to be. I stopped into a very nice little mexican place called "El sitio" or "the place" and met up w/ my friend there. Total stats so far 297.3 miles and 5.5 hours.

After some nice lunch conversation and a huge lunch, (the portions were, well DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMNNN, and cheep too describes it nicely) it was time for me to head back home. The route decision for this leg was an easy one. HWY 1, all the way to monterey, and that is what I did. Warning: if you ever do this leg north or southbound, make sure to have plenty of gas in the tank before you get into Hwy 1, there were three little "town" which had gas pumps. Prices 2@ $3.19 and one at $2.94 for 87 unleaded, i don't want to scare anybody w/ the other gas prices they had.

So from Santa Barbara I headed back north on hwy 1. I made a short stop in Lompoc for gas and some sweets (i was starting to zone out just a bit, so i figured that lunch hadnt quite done the trick and my blood sugar was starting to drop a little bit). then on through town and then on to Harris Grade Rd. which connects hwy 1 w/ 135. it is a bit shorter than having to have gone through hwy 1 until 135, but harris grade goes over a mountain and has twisties, easy choice there. 135 took me into Santa Maria where is turned into hwy1 once again. On to Guadalupe (looked like if it had been transplanted from Mexico) and then into Pismo Beach. by this point, the sun was starting to set and I was able to get a few nice shots of the sunset before what would be my last real "stop" until monterey. I made two other quick stops on the way but they were just to adjust gear or make a quick potty stop.

From Pismo Beach onto SLO and then to Morro Bay. Thats where the fun really began for that stretch. At Morro Bay I picked up the coastal hwy and all the night time bugs came out. I had daylight all the way past san Simeon and to Point Piedras, where i had to stop and swap my sunglasses for my clears. I was tempted to do a quick drive into Herst Castle but decided against it and in the long run I was glad for it. The road up the coast was beautiful. Up until it turned pitch black, there were some areas where some light coastal fog was coming in and it made the beaches look almost haunted, very cool. No pictures of this since it was already too dark and they wouldnt have come out anyway.

I stopped at Ragged point for about 5 minutes to get an extra couple of gallons of gas, yes at $3.19 because i wanted to make sure to have a little extra buffer just in case, and since i had all the real twisties coming up and Monterey Peninsula was still about 80 miles ahead, I didnt want to risk it. The road ahead was wonderful, lefts, rights, hairpins, blind curves, cliffs, "rock slide area next 60 miles", all wonderful sights to experience on a bike. The only thing that would have made it better was if there was still some sunlight on the road so that I could have really enjoyed those curves, but with the lack of light, I didnt want to risk finding some gravel on the road at the last minute and having to finish the trip some other time. At about 8:50pm I stopped at the Fort Ord main entrance to make a call to let my emergency contact know that I was in monterey and that it was smooth sailing from there on. about 43 minutes later i was back in san jose once again.

Needless to say folks, it was a great trip, and surpisingly enough, i wasn't sore nor was I overly tired the next day. Thanks to all who gave me road suggestions and to all those that thought I was nuts, yes, i agree, I still am nuts, but I'll do it again, who's up for a trip?

Final trip statistics
Total trip time: 14 hours 40 minutes
Total ride time: 12 hours 10 minutes (2.5hr lunch, had to make it count)
Total milage according to Odometer: 617.3 miles
Total pictures:49
Total pictues that do it justice: -6
Little trip momentos:
reached the 10000 mile mark on my bike
reached the 10500 mile mark on my bike
collected enough bugs on my visor to go from a clear shield to a "tinted shield" 3 different times.

this is on hwy 25:

"Competing against a VFR with your sportbike is like arguing on BARF.....Even if you win, youre still a moron...." From the profile of the Yak Man of the remote village of Fresno

Lizard's confession to ToxicGirrl (euro styled): Don't fook up what I have with Bill, I need him now more than ever"

Proud Member of these fine organizations:
A.S.A. / A.S.S. / P.N.S. / T.D.C.
lfrc322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:38 AM   #2
lfrc322
Veteran

Motorcycles: Currently Kawi ZZR 400 previously: 83 KZ 750, '02 VFR 800 (snow equipted and tested) and 88 EX 500
off bitterwater rd between hwy 25 and king city

"Competing against a VFR with your sportbike is like arguing on BARF.....Even if you win, youre still a moron...." From the profile of the Yak Man of the remote village of Fresno

Lizard's confession to ToxicGirrl (euro styled): Don't fook up what I have with Bill, I need him now more than ever"

Old 03-30-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
lfrc322
Veteran

off bitterwater rd between hwy 25 and king city 2

Old 03-30-2004, 10:40 AM   #4
lfrc322
Veteran

overlooking lake nacimiento

Old 03-30-2004, 10:44 AM   #5
lfrc322
Veteran

on Harris Grade looking south overlooking lompoc, the ocean is just behind the mountains

Last edited by lfrc322; 03-30-2004 at 10:46 AM..
Old 03-30-2004, 10:46 AM   #6
lfrc322
Veteran

on harris grade rd looking north to Santa Maria

Last edited by lfrc322; 03-30-2004 at 10:49 AM..
Old 03-30-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
lfrc322
Veteran

Last pic opp... at Pismo Beach

Old 03-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #8
thorick
Veteran

Motorcycles: vt1100 (seek the eventual horizon), CBR1100XX (road inhaler), XS650 (the good old days weren't)
Name:
Sounds like a great trip. I really like the opening and closing sunup and sundown pics :-)
Old 03-30-2004, 11:17 PM   #9
Sane_Man
Totally Tubular

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: 2003 40th Busa
Name: Pimpin' B
Sounds like you had a good time. I'm thinking about taking a similar route to visit a friend in Solvang and maybe on down to Huntington Beach.

My trip will last a few days however.

Yes I have a Wide S T A N C E, 29 inches.

"spelling correctly is for folks who are too dumb to think for themselves and can only memorize things" - The Amazing Kickstand

Participants shouldn't be turned off or scared by erections. "They happen." - Cuddle Parties
What is a cuddle party?
Sane_Man is offline   Reply With Quote