Old 06-14-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
rdcyclist
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Y2kVFR800 05R1200GS 99F650 93Ninja250
Name: Mark Crane
Cool Cal24 Ride Reports

Well, I'm working on my full report and it'll be posted here in a coupla days. Watch this space!

I can say that if anything it was better than last year. It was great to see a buncha BARFers at the event and I look forward to reading their reports too.

"Do or do not. There is not try." -Yoda

Attitude is Everything
rdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:34 AM   #2
thorick
Veteran

Motorcycles: vt1100 (seek the eventual horizon), CBR1100XX (road inhaler), XS650 (the good old days weren't)
Name:
those of us that had to work that weekend are dying to hear !
Old 06-15-2004, 10:02 AM   #3
Razel
Veteran

BARF CAL 24 rider
Contributor !++++++!++++++ !

Motorcycles: BMW '10 K1300GT, BMW '03 K1200GT (for sale), '07 X-Challenge
Name: Ray
Better than last year? Nice!
I wanna read about what it was that knocks the socks off the early morning sunrise at Yosemite (last year...)
Gary Jaehne 5/2012
Razel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
MrCrash
King of FAIL

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: CBR600F4, Mojo SL, Anthem X 29er, XTC 29er Composite, XTC 29er Singlespeed
Name: Mikey
Quote:
Originally posted by Razel
I wanna read about what it was that knocks the socks off the early morning sunrise at Yosemite (last year...)
How about 200+ miles of twisties in the middle of the night from Yreka to Fort Bragg, after already having logged 700-800 miles? Your choices were either 96 through Happy Camp or 299 to get to 101, followed by some freeway time. Then it was either Highway 1 or Highway 20 to the coast for the final checkpoint.

I thought Morthrane was hardcore for doing it on his R1 with bar risers, soft luggage and Zooni Leathers. Then I met the Carl, the Englishman who did it on his 04 R1, Dainese one-piece, carrying all his shit in a big backpack.

To top it off, he was in those leathers at the banquet afterwards.

I. Am. Not. Worthy.

Ex AFM / WSMC / AHRMA / AMA Pro Thunder #907
http://www.mrcrash.com
MrCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
Outta Control
Renegade Drone Pilot

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 S1000RR Motorrad aka TaZ
Name: OuttaCtrl
Thats great y'all had fun and I've missed it . Oh well there is next year.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

"Non-stop pursuing of wealth will only turn a person into a twisted being, just like me."..."Material things lost can be found. But there is one thing that can never be found when it is lost – “Life”." Steve Jobs

motorcycling is for everybody, but not everybody is for motorcycling
Outta Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
Desmo
Veteran

Motorcycles: FZ1 - KTM Supermoto
Name:
Anyone have the list of finishers?

Yreka to the coast late at night? Oh fuck that. When I ran the Cal 24 back in 93, we rode 96 out to I5 at dusk.....deer...deer...and more @#$@##!$ deer.

Im surprise Mike Herran would have set the route to have people in that area at night.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:18 AM   #7
WickedWahine
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Small, medium and large
Name: Christy
Well, being that this was my very first 24 hour rally, I was rather proud of myself for finishing. I went in with only three goals in mind:

1) to finish (myself and bike in one piece)
2) to have fun
3) to get my saddle sore certificate

Needless to say, two out of three isn't bad! I was about 160 miles shy of my saddle sore Oh well, there's always next year!!

The routes that they sent us on were amazing. I only wish we could have done 299 in the day, and not at night after already riding 600+ miles and feeling totally exhausted. I knew I was in trouble when I started imagining that I saw a dead goat draped over the back of Morthrane's bike...that and the "ghost bunnies"....woooo! Who needs drugs when you have dehydration, exhaustion and sleep deprivation!!

I'm already planning my strategy for next year boys, so you better watch out! Hopefully next year I won't have such a hard time keeping my partner from quitting! (Right MrCrash?!?!...you know you will never live this one down )

Good times!

~For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.~
WickedWahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:25 AM   #8
Outta Control
Renegade Drone Pilot

Founding Member
Contributor

Did MrCrash got all three? Thinking of it. It would have been perfect if I attended this year's rally. A few days before the event I just finished a 600 mile run down south. Welp certainly next year I should be ready for it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

"Non-stop pursuing of wealth will only turn a person into a twisted being, just like me."..."Material things lost can be found. But there is one thing that can never be found when it is lost – “Life”." Steve Jobs

Old 06-16-2004, 08:39 AM   #9
WickedWahine
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Small, medium and large
Name: Christy
Yup, MrCrash did get three of the four checkpoints, just like me. We teamed up for the rally and there was no way I was going to not finish, so he had no choice but to finish with me (otherwise I would have keeked his ass ). I'm too stubborn to take no for an answer...

~For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.~
WickedWahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:42 AM   #10
Outta Control
Renegade Drone Pilot

Founding Member
Contributor

Maybe we could all team up for next year. And I'll make sure to bring a rope just incase my bimmer needs to tow you to the finish.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:56 PM   #11
Cal24Rallymaster
RallyBastard for Life

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name:
For those of you that are reading the Cal24 ride reports and are saying to yourselves, "Gee, I can't wait to sign up next year", we have set up a new website. It is www.cal24.com

We have set a date for next years rally. We have not decided on a location for the start/finish yet, but it will be in No. Cal, within approx. 100 miles of the bay area. We are considering several locations.

There is the finishing order of this years rally, some pictures, and a information page for next years rally. We will eventually offer on-line applications, and the ability to pay the entry fee using PayPal.

Hope to see many of you next year!

Tom Melchild
Rallymaster (Rallybastard)
Cal24
Old 06-21-2004, 03:17 PM   #12
Bronto
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ѡ
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by WickedWahine
I knew I was in trouble when I started imagining that I saw a dead goat draped over the back of Morthrane's bike...that and the "ghost bunnies"....woooo!

Well it wasn't boring apparently
Bronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 03:37 PM   #13
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
.....bring on those reports...WW you have my respect for the effort ....

Good stuff!

budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:09 PM   #14
aciurczak
slower would be backwards

BARF CAL 24 rider 08 /09

Motorcycles: '13 R1200RT, '13 Ninja 300, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E
Name:
My Cal24 report, pasted from an email to a friend:

Fun time! Ended up being about 1100 miles in 24 hours for me, along with the 120 miles each way to get up to the start/finish point. Almost 50 bikes entered, and mine wasn't the most uncomfortable. :-) Someone actually had a brand-new 2004 R1 that they used for the rally (stock seat!) and there were a few more sportbikes. But, the vast majority of folks were on GS's, RT's, Gold Wings, ST's, or FJR's. Many more folks than I expected had really customized their bikes with add-on fuel cells. A number of folks also did what I did, which was put some gas cans in luggage or bungeed to the bike. On the way up on the 1st day, I noticed that the 2.5 gallon plastic canister had a hole in it, and was leaking into my ventura pack. So I went back and used 2 1-gallon ones that I had used before. In the first rally pack, they had said that we might have to go 200 miles between gas, but later on they said that it would be no more than 150 miles. My bike was fixed up right before the rally (different story, but now my power is back and my mileage is back up to 33-34 rather than 25-27), so in fact I never had to use any extra gas anyway. What it did do is make me more comfortable running the bike to empty, knowing it wouldn't be a tragedy with the extra gas on board. Twice I got 155 miles out of the tank, which was a new record for me.

The route was great, took us all the way up some great roads through Bucks lake (1st checkpoint was the bucks lake lodge). Made it all the way up to Klamath Falls Oregon, before heading west towards Yreka and then Eureka. 2 hours in to the rally I got another speeding ticket on 70 (82 in a 55). So I'm up to a 3 week cycle between tickets now; I'm not sure if this is sustainable.

Couple interesting parts. Newest part for me was all of the dark riding. We had to get from Yreka to Eureka on route 96, which is this twisty little two-lane road through the forest for about 160 miles. In the pitch dark. My lights are plenty bright, and threw a beam way down the road. But, in the tight corners (of which there seemed to be a few thousand), it was freaky bending into a corner where you see nothing but black until the bike turns farther. I see why the rally guys put a bunch of extra lights up front, and I'll think about doing it for next year. There was a Triumph TT600 that had a big floodlight mounted right up front, which looked like a good idea.

GPS was a godsend. During the ticket, I was stuck on the side of the road for 20 minutes or so, and I had also taken a bonus loop that leg (70 in fact, was the bonus loop that I didn't have to be on). I was worried about missing the first checkpoint, but I made it in by 12:30 (it closed at 1 PM). But, I knew I was behind the curve for the next checkpoint. I also had heard a hint from the rally organizer that it would be helpful to get to the 2nd checkpoint close to when it opened in order to get a significant bonus that leg. I aimed my GPS right at the 2nd checkpoint and took a different route to get straight there. I probably saved about an hour or more and got there in time to chase a bonus between checkpoints 2 & 3. It was a neat cave at the lava national monument. The great thing about that bonus was that the road to get out there was totally deserted, and allowed some serious high speed travel. Also, I was able to keep going in the right direction after getting to the park (rather than backtracking), and GPS routed me directly to the next checkpoint areas up towards Oregon. My biggest injury during the rally was hitting my head on that damn cave (drew blood!).

Last checkpoint before the end was Fort Bragg (after a long drive down 101/1 on the coast). It was open from 2 AM to 5 AM, and I made it in around 4 AM. I was riding with another rider that I had synced up with during the night, which made things easier. From Fort Bragg, there was one last leg to get back to Dunnigan, with the finish being open from 6 - 8 AM. Sometime before Fort Bragg, I lost all will to get any points, and stopped filling out the sheets, just concentrating on riding safely and making the main checkpoints. In Fort Bragg, I still had the same thought, and had agreement from my riding buddy. So we just aimed the GPS directly to Dunnigan, and took 20 all the way to Route 5. (instead of some of the turns off of 20 that the base route suggested). There were a ton of 500 point entries along 20, but I was just too loopy to care. In fact, I really felt weird on the bike at times so I got off the road a couple times just to jump around, clear my head, and will myself on. I had some times where I would suddenly come to my senses and realize I had absolutely no memory of the prior mile or two. The gadget was telling us that we had plenty of time to make the checkpoint. When we started on 20, it estimated we'd pull in around 7 AM, so we both knew that stopping for a minute or two a couple times wouldn't be a problem. And there are no bonus points for coming in early (but huge penalties for coming in late).

We ended up in Dunnigan around 7:15 or so. I went to a gas station there first to fill up, and to organize my documents away from the main group at the finish line (getting all 5 legs into 1 envelope, writing my rider # on each page, organizing the polaroids that I took, receipts that were necessary, etc). It actually took me a few minutes, but then when I pulled in to the finish, it was a piece of cake to hand everything over and know it was in order. I waited around for a while to see some of the other bikes come in. Dave (a fellow rider that had convinced me to do the rally) worried me a bit when he didn't come in by 8, but after I went back to the room to grab a shower, he did make it in at 8:30 or so. All in all it worked out OK for me points-wise, because the checkpoints alone are huge points. You can miss 1 checkpoint and still count as a finisher, and many of the bikes didn't make the last checkpoint. I got almost nothing on the 2nd leg, very little on the 4th leg, and nothing on the 5th leg, but between the points and bonuses on the 1st & 3rd legs, plus all the main checkpoints, I ended up 9th out of 47 or so. The guy I was riding with finished right in front of me, as he was more diligent in getting points in the first few legs before we synced up.

I'm definitely looking forward to next year, and have a number of ideas to make it easier. Comfort wasn't a huge problem while on the bike, but after I got off in the morning, everything started to hurt a bit. In fact, my back aches a bit now, even a few days later. I also need to find an easier way to store the rally instructions to get to them easier, and re-store them easier, so I take less time at each stop. Hope you can make it next year!

- Alex
aciurczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:02 PM   #15
Max Smiley
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: gas pedal or premix only
Name:
Congrats people and sounds like everyone had fun
There and back. I know it was grueling for the sportbikers.

hey, how's morthrane!?!!

for all our fallen riders

Ride um if you got um
Max Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote