Notices

Old 07-09-2004, 08:43 PM   #1
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Sprint ST .. R1.. 450TE
Name:
Nor Cal and beyond!

Finally took the Sprint out for a real ride. Iamic, Union Jack, & myself took off for Nor Cal. We rented a cabin in Willow Creek, Ca and used it for our base of operations. Henry & Bronze met us up there.
Here is the route:
Day 1, Tomales was the starting point. We took 1 till it connects to 101 in Leggett.
We then headed west on 299 outside Arcata. Route 1 is always a treat. We had lite traffic except around Mendocino. When we turned onto 299 we were ready to pick up the pace.
We only had about 40 miles to reach the cabin and the houses could smell the barn.
299 in a great warm up to the area. Nice sweepers and some tight tweeky stuff.

Day 2, The day started with our introduction to 96. What a road. Far and away the best road I have ever ridden. Others are good for various reasons but for me 96 is the king. No PoPo. Great surface. Good mix of turns and straights. The views are stunning. Did I mention fast? Very Fast. We were doing a big loop back to the cabin so we took 3 south.
3 is a older road and runs over Scott mountain pass. If I hadnít been on 96 It might have been the best road on the trip. Union Jack and Iamic didnít care for the tight twisties on the down side of the pass. It is tight. I like that for a change of pace. Next we went west on 299 to bring us back to 96. 299 is fun. It is used by more folks which means you have to slow down. PoPo makes it a bit nerve wracking if you pick up the pace. You ride along Burnt Ranch Gorge. This is a great white water area. It is also a amazing place to catch the views.

Day 3, This was a smaller loop. We were getting a bit worn out after so much fun. 299 east to 3 south, swoopin down to 36 west. 101 back to 299 and to the cabin. 36 is on so many peoples to do list. It was better than most of the roads around here but not better than 96. 36 does have itís moments though. It goes through Grizzley Creek St. forest. It feels like your on a speeder in a Lucas film running through there. Very nice.

Day 4, Henry and I split off and headed up to Oregon. We took 96 to Happy Camp. In Happy Camp we took Indian Creek Rd. This road is a goat trail and a bit tore up but a lot of fun. That sent us over to 199 west. We hooked up to 101 again and headed north. Once in Oregon we took a small road just outside Gold Beach over the coastal range. I donít remember the name but it starts out following the Rogue river. What we failed to notice was a sign stating that the road was closed in 31 miles. Once we found the deture we talked to the crew about letting us wonder on through. They were cool and let us wallow our bikes through the loose dirt for about 100 yards to the end of the construction. We thought we were slick as stink till we came to another detour that sent us on a gravel road just wide enough for one lane with a many hundreds of feet drop off. It was like riding on marbles with a 500+ lbs. Machine. The pucker factor was very high. Making it back to civilization was a good thing! We stayed in Grants Pass for the night and jezz was I beat.

Day 5, Off to Crater Lake. We took 234 to 62 and that leads right into the park. We rode around the rim. If you have not seen this amazing place you owe it to yourself to check it out. Stunning. We looped around and got back on 62 to 97. 97 is OK but no great shakes. Lots of traffic and many PoPo. We headed west on 66 to Ashland so we could catch 5 down to Redding. Oh, did I mention it was about 112 degrees. Even doing 90mph offered no relief.
Day 6, Mt. Lassen. We took 44 out of Redding. Almost got taken out by a Kamakazi deer. Not much to this road. Boring really. But it brings you to 89. 89 is a treat. You go up into the park and ride to the summit at 8k feet up. The road is in great shape and not many PoPo. We stayed on 89 to Quincy. After a great lunch we jumped onto Forrest Service road 120. Itís about five miles out of Quincy. After 96 it was my fav. No traffic other than logging trucks. Stay on your side of the road and youíll be OK. I almost hit a doe on the start of this road. That slowed me down and kept me on my toes. I didnít see Henry till the end of the run. The next connection was E21. We took that for quite awhile to 20. On 20 we went to Williams. Henry wanted to slab it home so we parted ways and I stayed in Granzellas Inn.
Day 7, HomeÖ I started taking 20 to 53. 53 runs into 29 into 121 to 37 to 101 and home!
Iíll post some pics.
Iamic and Bronze have posted their pics here:

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...threadid=80308

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...threadid=80336

DMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
road out of Gold Beach

Old 07-09-2004, 08:46 PM   #3
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Gravel

Old 07-09-2004, 08:47 PM   #4
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Crater Lake

Old 07-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #5
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
CL

Old 07-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #6
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Lassen
Old 07-09-2004, 08:49 PM   #7
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
opps

Old 07-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #8
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Henry

Old 07-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #9
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
The Sled

Old 07-09-2004, 08:51 PM   #10
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Stoned

Old 07-09-2004, 08:52 PM   #11
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
More Stoned

Old 07-09-2004, 09:04 PM   #12
Waterboy
Watch out for asses!

Contributor

Motorcycles: '95 VFR 750F
Name:
Awesome, Danny! Beautiful pics.

The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.

Member of the West-of-the-Bridge Club
Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:16 PM   #13
DMc
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by Waterboy
Awesome, Danny! Beautiful pics.
Thanks Tim... It was hard stopping at times. I just wanted to ride
Old 07-09-2004, 09:49 PM   #14
Kensaku
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: I quit
Name:
Wow, those are some great hi-res shots Danny!
Kensaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:07 PM   #15
NoGall

AMA #: 690440
BARF Admin
Founding Member
BARFies '06, '08, '10, '14
Contributor ++++BB

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name: Tom
Those are super awesome pics!
Which camera were you using?