BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Moto Photos & Videos

Notices

Old 07-20-2004, 06:47 AM   #1
thorick
Veteran

Motorcycles: vt1100 (seek the eventual horizon), CBR1100XX (road inhaler), XS650 (the good old days weren't)
Name:
England trip

Some business took me to England 2 weeks ago. This being my first time there, I decided to make a holiday (er, vacation) out of it. Picked out these photos out of the lot...

Here's one of those cool BMW scooters (that aren't imported here). Looks like just the thing for a wet climate

Old 07-20-2004, 06:49 AM   #2
thorick
Veteran

Motorcycles: vt1100 (seek the eventual horizon), CBR1100XX (road inhaler), XS650 (the good old days weren't)
Name:
I visited the Imperial War Museum in London. They had a cool FW-190 on display. I never thought that I'd ever see one in real life. What's the motorcycle connection ? errrr. well, it has a BMW engine...

Old 07-20-2004, 06:50 AM   #3
thorick
Veteran

Name:
Someone's cool old Single.. a Sarolia ? what's that ? maybe someone more knowledgeable can enlighten me. Later in the week I noticed a contingent of people puttering around on old singles, maybe this person was part of that group.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
thorick
Veteran

Name:
I was scheduled to pick up a Honda Deauville Tourer at Raceways in London on day 4. The Deauville was still out, so they had a Yamaha Diversion 900 for me instead. I wanted the Deauville because it had a good fairing and full luggage. The Diversion 900 had a decent 3/8 fairing and GIVI luggage, that's good. Plus they only charged me the cheaper rate for the Deauville (which is a 650). It was tempting to rent an R1 or a Gixxer or something, but I had a lot to carry, plus I began to wonder where in England I should really try to use a sport bike.. I was probably going to have my hands full just staying on the left hand side of the road !
This picture was taken in the Peak District. Beautiful area.. The rural roads like this one were pretty deserted...

Old 07-20-2004, 06:56 AM   #5
thorick
Veteran

Name:
Why beat around the bush ? Call it like it is...

Old 07-20-2004, 06:59 AM   #6
thorick
Veteran

Name:
I headed south from the Peak District to the Cotswolds Hills about 100 miles west of London. I stayed at the Ormand's Head Inn in Tetbury. They were very accomodating and allowed me to keep the bike in the courtyard. This place has quite a history, going back to before the 17th century. Picture's a little blurry, sorry.

Last edited by thorick; 07-20-2004 at 01:30 PM..
thorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:01 AM   #7
thorick
Veteran

Name:
I visited the Westonbirt Arboretum which has a fantastic collection of trees. Didn't have time to see them all, but the collection of maples was fantastic.. There was this cool Lotus Elise in the parking lot.

Old 07-20-2004, 07:03 AM   #8
thorick
Veteran

Name:
Can't be in the region without seeing Stonehenge..

Old 07-20-2004, 07:04 AM   #9
thorick
Veteran

Name:
There was this GSX1400 in the Stonehenge parking lot.. cool...

Old 07-20-2004, 07:05 AM   #10
thorick
Veteran

Name:
Back in Tetbury, I came upon the Blue CBR1100XX which colour (er, color) was never imported into the US.. I guess that makes it a Bluebird...

Old 07-20-2004, 07:07 AM   #11
thorick
Veteran

Name:
My last day on the bike.. I headed back to London and ran into this fellow while in picturesque Bibury.. He walks by and asks 'Shaft or Chain' ? Of course, that immediately marks him as someone interested in motorcycles.. so we yak it up about his old bikes and the bikes that his daughter and son had.. Someday, that will be us...

Last edited by thorick; 07-20-2004 at 07:44 AM..
Old 07-20-2004, 07:10 AM   #12
thorick
Veteran

Name:
After being lost for an hour and a half in London, I make it back to Raceways to return the bike.. man, if you don't know where you're going in London, YOU ARE LOST ! The main streets change their names every couple of blocks.. there are no rectilinear streets, they are all curved and are of no determinant length... luckily (?) traffic was so congested that I had plenty of opportunities to ask people around me where the heck I was and how to get to Uxbridge Road (whose name morphs into 'The Vale')... I was never so glad to arrive at a destination !

Last edited by thorick; 07-20-2004 at 07:27 AM..
Old 07-20-2004, 07:12 AM   #13
thorick
Veteran

Name:
Here's the Honda Deauville that I didn't get... It looks like the ST version of a Hawk GT hmmm ? The Diversion 900 that I did get seems like a bumped up shaft driven version of the Seca II 600...

Old 07-20-2004, 07:14 AM   #14
thorick
Veteran

Name:
I liked the diverse area that Raceways was located in.. In one block there were restaurants for Thai, Chinese, Lebanese, British and who knows what else.. I went back to the area later for dinner and caught this picture of a guy who was doing wheelies up and down the block... It's expensive to eat in London though.. I got a simple Thai meal and it ended up costing $30 for what would have been $10 here...

Last edited by thorick; 07-20-2004 at 07:29 AM..
Old 07-20-2004, 07:20 AM   #15
thorick
Veteran

Name:
Last one.. caught this XJR1300.. beaut.. As I still miss my old FJ1100, seeing the engine on this bike brought back a lot of memories...

Parting thought about English drivers.. based on my short experience, I'd have to say that English drivers are far superior to US drivers.. I think that maybe it has to do with how little space there is on the roads there and how there are very few straight roads.. It's not unusual for a main road through a town to have 2 narrow lanes, one of which has cars legally parked in it taking up more than 1/2 of the lane (!) Cars have to be ready to stop and give way... On the flip side, England is no place for a chopper... the lack of space and straight roads makes a slow steering and slow stopping bike an exercise rather than an enjoyment.

I'm ready to go back :-)