Contributor

Motorcycles: 2005 BMW R1200ST
Name: Becca
Post Trip Report: 2 weeks, 12 states, 4341 miles, and a 5 hour flight

Trip Report:
San Jose to Wisconsin to Texas on a ST'd 03 Yamaha YZF600R

Day 1, Sat, Sept 18
617 miles
First stop, Livermore, CA to pick up my friend Sean and his ST1300. We stopped for a quick McDonalds breakfast before zooming up I5 to I80 to Sacramento where we picked up US50 for the trip across Nevada. We went through Lake Tahoe area. It was somewhat cold, but not enough to pull out the heavy gloves and liners. Had lunch at Sonic Diner in Fallon, NV. This was my first experience at Sonic. They seem to be EVERYWHERE except northern California. It was pretty windy across the Great Basin on the "Loneliest Road in America". Took the enjoyment out of the mountainous areas. We felt we couldn't get into the turns cause we never knew when a gust might hit. Started to sprinkle so pulled over to cover electronics and inserted liner. A truck also pulled over which looked like it had snow on it. Sean saw that and upped speed. He wanted to get outta that area before we experienced such weather. Made it to Ely without seeing anything more than light sprinkling. We stayed the night at the KOA in Ely, Nevada. The desk person was surprised we were tenting cause of wind advisory. She offered to lend her car so we could get into town for dinner. We declined. We had dinner at the Jailhouse Cellblock Steakhouse. It was booked full cause of people in town for car road race. Despite this, the hostess got us a table in 1/2 hour anyway. Each booth felt like it was inside a jail cell. Bars and everything.

Pic is Sean and our bikes the next morning before splitting up.

IBA#33634
Sport Rider to Touring Rider: "Heheh. Wanna race?"
Touring Rider to Sport Rider: "Sure... To Phoenix?"

Last edited by rocketbunny; 10-02-2004 at 10:03 AM..
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Day 2, Sun, Sept 19
Ely, NV to Vernal, UT
484 miles
This was the first day out on my own. I started the morning early continuing on US50. I saw lots of patrol cars along here and decided it might be a good idea to slow down from my Nevada speeds. Stopped for gas in a small town and saw the pumps didn't have card readers. I went inside to give the attendant money before pumping, which would be standard practice in the Bay Area. He told me to go back out and pump my gas BEFORE paying. Next I hit US 89 north (Salina to US6) which was scenic but not very twisty. Saw some stunning rock formations. Got lunch in Gunnison, UT at a large supermarket deli. Sandwich was fine,but way too much mayo. Also got a tube of chapstick. I needed it badly by then from the dry air. On US6 I started getting worried about fuel. I passed a Sinclair on 6 with 170 on the tank. Started to wonder if I should turn around and go back to it. Pulled in to another about 20 miles later and realized it was boarded up. When I got to US 191 I had 210 miles on the tank and no reserve light yet. I doubted there would be gas on 191 so I continued on 6 hoping to get gas in Helper ut. Gassed at 215 w/ no reserve. Wow. US191 was highly recommended by a sport-touring website. It would have been cool if not for wet roads. The fog in the distance also had me worried . I hit US40 at Duchesne. I decided the weather was not good enough for camping. Pulled over in Roosevelt, UT and pulled out my atlas. It has 800 numbers for all major motel chains. Booked a room at Motel 6 in Vernal. After registering, I asked which side of the building my room was on so I could park the bike in view. The attendent told me to just pull onto the sidewalk by the door to the lobby. Didn't feel like going out to dinner after paying for a hotel room, so I brought in my esbit camping stove and a packet of freeze dried backpacking food. Boiled water in the bathtub while I revised my route for the next day. My boyfriend was telling me that the forecast in Colorado (where I was headed) was for snow and high winds. I tiptoe my bike, so winds are a problem for me when stopped. Also, I had planned to go through Rocky Mountain National Park. I had been there several years ago in July and remember REALLY high winds pushing me around just while walking to the visitors center. I wasn't looking forward to taking my bike through that.

Pic is from the gas station in Helper, UT. Pretty overcast and wet, but the rocks in the background were neat.

IBA#33634
Old 10-02-2004, 08:07 AM   #3
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Day 3, Mon, Sept 20
Vernal, UT to Laramie wy
315 miles
I started the morning with a visit to Dinosaur National Park. It's been ages since I've been there. I don't remember it as being especially spectacular, but I've got plenty of time to site-see today and I've gotta make that National Parks Pass pay itself off. Quarry was neat. I think i was able to appreciate it more than when i was younger. I read all the exhibits and even stayed for a talk by one of the rangers. While I was there, got into a conversation with another traveler. I mentioned my planned route north on US191. He immediately started to tell me about the terrible switchbacks that way on 191. In my mind I started picturing Mt Hamilton switchbacks + big gusts of wind (scary). He told me about an alternate route not too far into Colorado that was "straight and flat". I went back into the visitors center and asked the information desk about the switchbacks. The woman there told me there were 10 switchbacks with 5-8% grade. She said they weren't that big a deal and she took her camper up them all the time. I was having a hard time picturing a camper going up Mt Ham, so I decided to risk it. I was soon laughing in my helmet at the huge sweepers (4 lane road) that were signed as "switchbacks". These curves were bigger radius than anything on Bay Area's Highway 9. Might have had more fun on them if it hadn't been for the slow moving big rigs.

I had started the day with summer gloves but it started to get pretty cold so I had to switch to winter gloves. The road took me past Flaming Gorge Dam and Reservoir. I had never been there, so was nice to see something new if I had to miss the parks in Colorado. Dam was cool. I almost passed it without taking a picture. Was about to leave the overlook but stopped thinking it was MY trip, i had never been there before." I might regret leaving without taking a picture. Saw a few deer cross the road after the wyoming border. Was getting really cold. Saw dark clouds on road ahead and debated grabbing my widder vest and balaclava. Would have had to unpack the bike to get at the hookup and wanted to do that at a gas stop, not the side of the road. I entered the clouds and got rain and even a little snow. I was really cold at this point. Hands cold and body cold. Thought to myself this is so stupid (I should have had my electric vest on). But it was only 15 miles to rock springs and warmth. Finally got there. I gassed up and then went into the restaurant to get warm. After lunch I hooked up the vest and put on balaclava and began the drone across wyoming on I80. The balaclava was warm, but uncomfortable. I realized that it had always been uncomfortable, but tolerable on the short winter rides I had used it for in the Bay Area. It was not something I could live with for hundreds of miles of interstate riding. I pulled over and removed it. I knew it would be cold that night, but I decided to camp anyway figuring my sleeping bag was warm enough to handle it. It ended up taking 3 fuel tablets to get the water for my backpacking food CLOSE to boiling. The wind and cold just carried the heat away. (It had taken less than one tablet in the hotel room the night before).

Pic is bike in front of the visitors center at Dinosaur National Monument.

IBA#33634
Old 10-02-2004, 08:10 AM   #4
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Pic is on US191 (Utah) in the middle of a typical rocky mountain forest.

IBA#33634
Old 10-02-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Day 4, Tues, Sept 21
Laramie, WY to North Platte, NE
285 miles
Woke up this morning to what sounded like rain but was actually snow. There was 3 inches of snow on my seat. I called Tony for a forecast and all he could tell me was that the snow should only last to Cheyenne, WY before turning into rain (which would last pretty much across Nebraska). He also told me that it shouuldn't be cold enough for the rain/snow to stick on the ground and freeze. My only traction problem SHOULD be the wet road, not ice. This was not a day for scenic routes. I wanted to get across the state and out of the snow/rain as fast as possible. I managed to get my bike out of its parking spot by edging across 15 feet of wet snowy gravel. Got gas and then got on i80. That lasted all of one exit. My face shield fogged up so badly that i couldn't see anything and the exterior was caking with snow. I pulled off and found a motel6 and sat in the lobby shaking while i called tony again to discuss the situation. He suggested smearing some dish soap on the inside of the shield. I was too shaken and certain i was stuck in laramie for the next few days and wondering if the trip was doomed. After i put down the phone i found my anti-fog spray that i always carry to clean bugs off the shield. I sprayed my visor inside and out, hooked up my vest. It was 44 miles to cheyenne. I stopped 3 times on the side of the road to respray and clear the ice buildup that my glove squeegee was no longer getting. The pass between Laramie and Cheyenne is actually the highest point on I80. At the top of the pass is a bust of Abraham Lincoln. I saw snow swirling around Lincolns head for the 3rd straight time (had done an I80 car trip back in winter 2001). I knew i was finally getting out of it when the snow turned to rain a few miles from cheyenne. Stopped in Cheyenne to have breakfast and warm up. Drank almost a whole carafe of decaf coffee. A few people stopped to talk to me in the restaurant. I think it was obvious to them that i was pretty shaken. Called tony again and found it was about 220 miles to north platte on i80. It rained the whole way. my waterproof gloves got saturated and failed. I don't think my boots were ever officially waterproof. Hands and toes were cold. I was very glad for my Widder vest. I finally made it to North Platte and got a motel room. I CRANKED the heat that night.

pic is my campsite in Laramie. I had already cleared snow off my tent, but the motorcycle was untouched. It's kinda deceptive, there was a full 3 inches in height on my seat.

IBA#33634
Old 10-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #6
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Day 5, Wed, Sept 22
North platte, NE to Des Moines, IA
(need to lookup) miles
Woke up to steady rain. Tony and the weather channel assured me it would end by Omaha and become sunny and warm. I was close to my original planned scenic route, but a full night on the heater had not managed to dry my gloves and boots were still slightly damp. I did the old trashbag trick with my boots and just suffered with the gloves, figuring at least my toes would stay dry. I stopped in Gothenburg NE for a McDonalds breakfast. Before putting my gloves back on, I took them into the bathroom and did several cycles each on the hand blow dryer. They are usually a pain, but with wet gloves, I was appreciating McD's thrift. The rain finally stopped shortly after passing Grand Island, NE. I started to get uncomfortably warm and the clear face shield was no longer cutting it with the sun shining brightly. I pulled of i80, got gas, removed the liner, changed shields, got out the gps, and went north to US30 and my original planned route through the Nebraska countryside.

I had always considered Nebraska to be one of the most boring states to drive through. However, I had only ever done it on the interstate. Once I got off I80, Nebraska really got interesting. The waving cornfields...white farmhouses...and little towns were really pretty. At one point I overheard a conversation between some farmers on my GMRS radio. Woman was asking where she should "Bring out yer lunch" "We're in the shop, been back for a while". I had to smile. After crossing into Iowa, I got of US30 onto SR-44. This road was actually pretty twisty and I was able to have a bit of fun. Saw a flower "bed" which had a headboard and footboard, and a claw footed "municipal pool". After a pleasant day riding, I arrived at a relatives house in Des Moines IA (where I would spend the night) and saw some cousins that I hadn't seen since 2001.

pic is Iowa countryside.

IBA#33634
Old 10-02-2004, 08:43 AM   #7
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Day 6, Thurs, Sept 23
Des Moines, IA to Sturtevant, WI
417 miles

Followed my relative to a Des Moines Starbucks this morning for my first mocha since leaving home. I then dashed out of Des Moines on I80 to reach another relative's home for lunch. I was also really excited because my Uncle Rob was planning on meeting me there so we could ride together for a bit. My uncle has been riding and touring for as long as I can remember and I have always looked up to him as a motorcycle idol. I left I80 to take US6 past the Amana colonies in Eastern Iowa. Since I was kinda on a schedule, I should probably have rejoined 80 to Walcott and gotten there closer to noon. As it was it took forever to get through Iowa City on US6. I was then stressed and constantly recalculating time in my head. Finally got there at 1:30. Had pleasant lunch talking family news and then followed Uncle Rob out across the Mississippi. We followed the Mississippi north for a little and then headed over for Illinois SR-2. I highly recommend this beautiful ride up the Rock River. Stopped by a statue of Chief Black Hawk for a break and photo op. We then went up past Wisconsin's Lake Geneva where Rob left me to head home and I went the additional 30 some miles to Grandparents house near Racine WI.

Pic is Uncle Rob and his BMW. This was before he put his gear on. He has a full face helmet and a high viz motorcycle jacket. I would like to mention that I was glad to see him in appropriate gear. Several of the states I had gone through in the past few days have no helmet law, and it had been disconcerting to see so much hair flying in the wind, not to mention t-shirts and shorts.

IBA#33634
Old 10-02-2004, 08:45 AM   #8
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

I stayed with my Grandparents for 3 days and had a small family reunion, went out to movies with my cousin, and took some time to relax. My "waterproof" gloves took the entire time to dry and smell a little funky even now.

pic is on the Rock River with the statue of Chief Black Hawk in the background. Rob assured me that my dad would recognize this statue because they had often driven past it as kids on the way to visit relatives.

IBA#33634

Last edited by rocketbunny; 10-02-2004 at 08:47 AM..
Old 10-02-2004, 08:57 AM   #9
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

I had planned to ride back to California via a northern route through Yellowstone National Park. I changed my mind when my dad told me about a forecast for Yellowstone which called for a high of 40 and low of 16. I didn't want to ride through that much less sleep in it. I decided instead to visit my parents in Houston Texas and go back to California from there, avoiding the high passes of the Rockies. My Dad really wanted to meet me somewhere in Texas and ride with me. He even went out to a Houston Cycle Gear and finally got an armored riding jacket (to replace his jean jacket) and put a new front tire on his bike to replace the nearly bald one that had been on for at least the last 3 years. With this evidence of enthusiasm, I couldn't let him down. However, he was going to be leaving on a business trip Wednesday morning, so I needed to get down there fast.

On Sunday night I rode down to Uncle Rob's near Chicago in an attempt to shorten my two day ride to Texas. We went out to dinner in his 1977 spitfire convertable and had Chicago style hot dogs. I also took the chance to sit on his r1100. We decided I was quite capable of handling the bike with the seat at low setting. I may have to keep it in mind next time i'm in the market...

no pic today

IBA#33634

Last edited by rocketbunny; 10-02-2004 at 09:15 AM..
Old 10-02-2004, 09:13 AM   #10
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Day 10, Mon, Sept 25
Chicago Area, IL to Eureka Springs, AK
650 miles

I left Robs house early this morning after eating a yummy breakfast of homemade sweet rolls by my Aunt Debbie. I went straight over to I39 and then I55 south to St Louis. I passed through St Louis and saw my trip meter pass 300 miles by noon (this keeping close to the speed limit which, happily, was 70mph). I really wanted to stop at the St Louis Arch (Westward Expansion Museum), but I felt I really couldn't afford the time. I will have to make time for it during a future trip. I stopped for lunch at my first ever White Castle. There aren't any in my part of California (or in the west as far as I know). I was impressed with the tinyness of the burgers, and their ability to make a 3/16" thick patty stick together. Taste was mediocre though. In Missouri, I stuck to I44 until US65 near Springfield. From about 200 miles out of Branson, MO I was seeing huge billboards advertising various hillbilly comic acts, country-western has-beens, and motels. I'd been told by my grandparents that Branson is a "destination" for retired folks and has more theater seats than Broadway. Yikes. I crossed into Arkansas south of Branson and made my way to the KOA in Eureka Springs. Let me tell you...from personal experience... at least half of the ozark hillbilly stereotypes are true.

Another guy at the Eureka Springs KOA had trailered his Busa from Chicago. The roads were definitely better (twisty-wise) than anything else I'd seen since California, but c'mon! It's not that bad of a ride.

I will definitely need to come back to this area on a future ride. No pics this day, was too busy riding.

IBA#33634
Old 10-02-2004, 09:29 AM   #11
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Day 11, Tues, Sept 26
Eureka Springs, AK to Houston, TX
670 miles
I really wanted to get an early start this morning, because I had 490 miles to go to Nagodoches, TX where I planned to meet my dad and his bike. However, due to a really long previous day and the cool morning, I didn't end up getting on my way till after 8am. A stop for breakfast further delayed me. Also while Arkansas' I540 was a short stint of Interstate, most of the day was on US highways which tend to be slower and slow down more through local towns. I took I540 to US71/59. The Ozarks were of course beautiful, but the road wasn't particularly twisty. I stopped for lunch around 130 in DeQueen AK and called my dad to let him know where I was.

I watched my odometer pass 20,000 miles on my 03 YZF600R while I was over the Red River crossing into Texas.

I rode south on US59 from Texarkana to Nagodoches and finally met my dad around 5:45 pm. We stopped for a drink and ice cream at a Mc Donalds and then got on our way for the 170 mile ride to his house in Houston. The sunset was beautiful, but I felt bad that we weren't able to take the entire planned scenic route because it had gotten dark. This was my first time riding in the dark (during this trip) and my dad's alltime longest ride (he did over 400 miles today)(very proud of him). We didn't get home til 9:30 pm

I was amazed to find that the scenic route we did take on a curvy 2-lane Texas state highway was still marked at 70mph speed limit. Picture CA-25 with a 70 mph speed limit (but without the hills or tight curves). Woohoo!!!

Pic is dad and his 1982 Suzuki GS850G at a gas stop.

IBA#33634
Old 10-02-2004, 09:41 AM   #12
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Day 13, Thurs, Sept 28
Houston, TX to Brady, TX
270 miles

I stayed with my parents for a full day and did an oil change and got a new bottle of no-fog spray to make sure my shield has no problems during the 4 day ride home.

I planned a route home northwest through Texas, staying the first night in Lubbock, the second day interstating across New Mexico to Flagstaff, and then a day through the Grand Canyon and Zion ending in Las Vegas. I'd finish with a dash home on I15 to SR58 to I5 to 152 into the Bay Area. I was really looking forward to riding US89 in the area of the Grand Canyon and Zion.

I started the day by riding out toward Austin TX on US290. In Austin I picked up SR-71 for a nice ride through the Texas Hill Country. There were tons of wildflowers and I started to see cactus too. In Brady, TX, near the geographical center of the state of Texas I started looking for a lunch spot.

pic is the bike with some wildflowers on SR71

IBA#33634
Old 10-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #13
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

I was going through Brady and probably not paying enough attention when suddenly I saw an oncoming car at a traffic light doing a left turn in front of me. I had a green light, so had not slowed down for the light. As soon as I realized it was going to be close, I clamped down on the brakes and began to try to slow down. The front started to slide out to the side a little (it may have locked), but I was significantly slowed down when I clipped the rear right bumper and side panel of the car. I think that If I hadn't hit the car, I would probably have lowsided. As it was, the bike straightened out after the bump and I didn't go down. I immediately pulled off to a gas station and the car I had hit did so as well. I rode over to where he parked and got off the bike. I was really shaking with adrenaline at this point. I had heard something rattling on the bike while pulling into the gas station and was very worried about the bike.

Another car pulled up and a man got out. He had seen the whole thing and wanted to help. He assured me that (as I had thought) I had a green light and right-of way. Another person pulled up and i asked her to call the police. All I could think of was the need for a police report (Thanks BARF). I finally turned and looked at my bike. At first glance, other then some minor fairing damage (fender will need to be replaced and also right side fairing perhaps) and a sheared off bolt on the fender. I started to relax, thinking I could probably get it looked at in town and continue on my way after application of a few zip ties. I went over to look at hte other car and couldn't believe the dent and bumper damage his car was showing! Then one of the witnesses pointed out that the front tire was rubbing on the lower fairing. MY FORKS WERE BENT!!!!!!!!!

The police arrived. The officer heard each side of our stories and spoke briefly to the witness. The driver of the car I had hit was only 17 years old. He was driving a tank of a 1970's Ford Maverick. He started whining about how I must have been going over the speed limit cause he'd thought he could make it. I quietly interjected that motorcycles are hard to see and cars have a hard time judging mc speed. The officer agreed with me and told the kid that I had legal right of way no matter what my speed was. He wrote the kid a ticket (for violation of right of way??) and gave me a phone number to obtain the police report in a few days.

So, there I was, in the middle of Texas with a bike that I could not ride for the 2000 some miles to get home. I called Tony and my Parents. We decided I should get a motel room for the night and my parents would bring their trailer out to Brady the next morning and bring me back to Houston. I'm just glad I was only half a day from help when this happened. I think my next trip will be covered by some kind of mototow. Unfortunately, I suspect this repair will not be trivial.

I've made reservations for a Sunday night flight back to San Jose. The bike will stay here and get fixed in Houston. I will probably fly back out around Thanksgiving and ride it back (or drive my truck and truck it back).

So ends my first cross-country tour. It was fun. I definitely plan to do it again. I've learned a lot from this trip. I've driven across the country many times, but saw so much more on my own and on my bike. I highly recommend this experience to anyone with the slightest desire to expand their horizons.

pic shows sheared off fender bolt and crack

IBA#33634
Old 10-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #14
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Side fairing with paint scuff from the maverick and my intact but dislodged signal

IBA#33634
Old 10-02-2004, 10:01 AM   #15
rocketbunny
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

crack in fairing near radiator. Really- the visible damage isn't so bad - it's the stuff the isn't readily visible that is bad. My forks will have to be repaired or replaced and I will definitely want my wheel and frame checked. Yeah - this sucks.

IBA#33634