Old 10-03-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
halfwing
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Street
Name:
Quincy Ride Report

Hey Sportsfans,

I took a chance on the road construction yesterday and rode up through Downieville and back through Quincy. ST 1300 Rider, his wife and I rode up through Auburn to Downieville and back to Oroville. Awesome roads and a perfect day.

Bucks Lake Road rocks! Have you ever rode a piece of pavement where every time you seen another you can't help but grin inside your helmet? Unbelievable piece of pavement. Now I know what Pashnit means when he says that Bucks Lake Road is MADE for motorcycles. I still giggle when I think about yesterday.

One construction stop. It was about a twenty minute stop, but it gave me a chance to take a break, get a drink of gatorade and change tapes in my camera.

HERE'S what I uploaded to my web page. I had to break the vide into Part One and Part Two. Even then I only have about 4 minutes of this unbelievable stretch of road. But after that it gets kind of repetitious anyway. You know, one turn after another and on and on and on. Hee hee. (Oh sorry, was that out loud?)

I need to get some serious online storage so I can upload better quality files.
halfwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Founding Member / Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: Suzuki Hayabusa
Name: Tim
Re: Quincy Ride Report

Quote:
Originally posted by halfwing
Now I know what Pashnit means when he says that Bucks Lake Road is MADE for motorcycles. I still giggle when I think about yesterday.
Fun to hear stuff like this. It's why I built the pashnit site. Next you have to do La Porte Rd before the snow flies. Remember the east side of it is brand new pavement!!!

Video looks great! Did you take any pics of the road along the way?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
halfwing
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Wow! LaPorte Road goes on forever!

I'm doing the "passes" this weekend and next weekend is the Lake County ride and barbecue. If the wheather holds I'll ride LaPorte on the 23rd. I'll get my email working on that one right now.

Sorry, no pictures. I didn't really see anything that jumped out at me. I tried to find a place along the lake but there were too many trees. Need to get some loggers out there........ Lake Oroville is down to being a mud puddle, so now photo ops there either. Maybe coming from the west there are some different views. The trees hadn't "turned" yet either. In a couple of weeks the colors will be out and that should make some great pictures.

I liked that little wide spot in the road up by Quincy. Meadow Valley. I can only imagine what the first folks thought when they saw that area. I can bet that more travelling was not on the list.

Now that I've got some better video editing software on the way, (Pinnacle sucks), I need some better online storage. Does anyone know where I can get some cheap online storage? I've shopped around and all I can find are full service web hosting providers. I just want to store files so I'm thinking there has to be a less expensive way of doing this.

Ride Safe
Old 10-07-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
Waterboy
Watch out for asses!

Contributor

Motorcycles: '95 VFR 750F
Name:
I'd like to do that ride. How long do you think before we get some heavy snow up there?

The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.

Member of the West-of-the-Bridge Club
Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:14 PM   #5
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Founding Member / Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: Suzuki Hayabusa
Name: Tim
Depends. Last year was pretty late- like near Christmas, in fact I think last year it snowed Christmas day. That was cool. Year before that I think we had like 10 inches of snow 1st week of December.

It may snow, but not cold enough to stick until late November, La Porte isn't super high in elevation either. But after it snows, it'll stick till late May.

La Porte Rd in middle of winter after fresh snow.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:16 AM   #6
Waterboy
Watch out for asses!

Contributor

Motorcycles: '95 VFR 750F
Name:
I remember it started snowing just around Christmas. I was up near Emigrant Gap, just off of Hwy 80 on Hwy 20 for about 5 days. It snowed and snowed and snowed just before New Years. If fact, we got snowed in for a day or so. It was pretty, but it was alot of work to dig the vehicles out.

The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.

Member of the West-of-the-Bridge Club
Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:29 PM   #7
halfwing
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Snow bad........

Riding good................

Sometimes it's not just the ice but the anti-motorcycle road topping they spread around on the roads when there's a frost or freeze. I remember on January 3rd this year coming down Howell Mountain Road using my feet for outriggers. Big zero on the funmeter.

Snow bad.............