Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Notices

Old 11-09-2004, 03:20 PM   #1
busabandit

Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Busa, 98 B12
Name:
My 1st tour of Italy

I put together a web site that has pics and descriptions of my 2003 Italy tour. I'll soon put together a page of my 2004 trip with my girlfriend.Clicky
busabandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
navy8ret
USN Retired

Motorcycles: 03 SV-S
Name: Roger
:old-cool

I think that says it all, Thanks for sharing.

A Man WITH a GUN is a Citizen
A Man WITHOUT a GUN is a Subject

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
navy8ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 08:44 PM   #3
pashnit
Hayabusa Immortal

Founding Member / Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: Suzuki Hayabusa
Name: Tim
Great Pics!!

Old 11-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
busabandit

Contributor

Name:
Pashnit, coming from you, that is a compliment on the highest order. Your site is so great. It not only inspires me to go out and ride, but also inspires me to share my experiences with others on the internet.

Just to put together my measley 5 or 6 pages took alot of time....I can't imagine how you've done 400+ pages. Hats off to you. Reminds me it's time to make a Paypal donation to you.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
dspyder
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2000 CBR 600F4 Ylw/Blk
Name:
That is an inspiring story! We were already planning a trip to Italy for next year, and the thought of doing it on a Ducati suddenly makes me drool uncontrollably.

Looking at the cmit.it site, I guess the Duc was about 900 Euros for the week? That's about $1100 give or take the miserable exchange rates? Does that sound about right?

Did you have to do anything special to get a motorcycle license for Italy or is your US one accepted? Looks like it from their site, but an internation license is preferred, how do you get that? I guess that's a general question if they have graduated licenses or anything.

I've heard horror stories about driving in Italy (from an Italian). How bad was it on the bike?

Thanks for sharing,
--Darren
dspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
busabandit

Contributor

Name:
Darren, let me share some observations about riding in Italy.

1. No need for special license, CA one will due just fine.
2. Yes 900 euros sounds about right....more expensive then renting a small car, but worth it to me. The exchange rate sucks, but what can you do?
3. Driving in Italy is challenging in one way because drivers are more aggressive. The flip side is that they are all much better and more attentive drivers than most CA drivers. There's no putting on make-up while talking on the cell while reading a map kind-of crap happening.
4. The roads and signage are all fist rate. Yes it was a bit confusing driving in Rome and Milan, but what big cities are not confusing? Ever drive the ring around Memphis? Eventhough Rome traffic is very busy and dense, most drivers were well aware of me and my movements=not too scary. The roads outside the big cities are just plain great for the most part. Very California like terrain (varies by region). Everything from coastal twisties, rolling hills, mountains, but no real boring highways like I-5 here.
5. Language was not a problem. My Italian was limited to very basic stuff, but I had no problems finding my way around, finding hotels and having a great time.

I've ridden there twice and plan on going back in 2006. As for bikes to rent....well the Ducati was pretty great, the BMW on the last trip was good for having my GF along, but having my Hayabusa would be the best.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:08 PM   #7
Hypnos
Veteran

Motorcycles: '96 VFR
Name:
Hmmm, maybe I should find a good post-doc position in Western Europe and take my VFR ...
Hypnos is offline   Reply With Quote