Notices

Old 06-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #1
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Could I get stopped for a license plate like this?

After riding 50 miles of dirt roads the day after a big rain, this is what my license plate looked like. Is that enough reason by itself to pull me over?

Old 06-14-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
Jammer
Rookie

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
After riding 50 miles of dirt roads the day after a big rain, this is what my license plate looked like. Is that enough reason by itself to pull me over?

Nah! Looks fine to me.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:35 AM   #3
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Is it cause to allow them to pull you over?

Yes. You're obliged to have a legible plate with current registration, none of which can be discerned from that plate.

Will they? Who knows, but it can certainly provide them with an excuse.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #4
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: D
Quote:
49-428. DISPLAY OF PLATE AND STICKERS. (1) License plates assigned to a motor vehicle shall be attached, one (1) in the front and the other in the rear, with the exception of the following:
(a) The license plate assigned to a motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle, utility type vehicle, motorbike or semitrailer and the license plate assigned to a motor vehicle operated by a manufacturer, repossession agent or dealer shall be attached to the rear.
(b) Vehicles displaying year of manufacture, old timer, classic car or street rod license plates shall be allowed to display one (1) plate attached to the rear of the vehicle.
(c) The license plate attached to a tractor shall be attached to the front.
(d) The wrecker plate shall be displayed on the vehicle being towed in such a manner as to be visible when the vehicle being towed is approached from the rear.
License plates shall be displayed during the current registration year. The annual registration sticker for the current registration year shall be displayed on each license plate, except for trailers, semitrailers, and commercial vehicles over twenty-six thousand (26,000) pounds under the provisions of sections 49-434 and 49-435, Idaho Code. For the purposes of this title, the license plates together with the registration stickers shall be considered as license plates for the year designated on the registration sticker.
(2) Every license plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned to prevent the plate from swinging, be at a height not less than twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, be in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible, and all registration stickers shall be securely attached to the license plates and shall be displayed as provided in section 49-443(4), Idaho Code.
History:
[49-428, added 1988, ch. 265, sec. 90, p. 621; am. 1990, ch. 391, sec. 3, p. 1095; am. 1992, ch. 35, sec. 18, p. 121; am. 1998, ch. 392, sec. 9, p. 1211; am. 2008, ch. 409, sec. 5, p. 1132; am. 2009, ch. 287, sec. 2, p. 862; am. 2020, ch. 125, sec. 4, p. 386.]
https://legislature.idaho.gov/statut...h4/sect49-428/

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #5
gixxerjeff
Optimistic Underdog

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
How do you guys (LEOS) handle those ubiquitous fold-up, hitch mounted bicycle carriers that block the entire plate? If you guys cited each one of those you'd have no time to do anything else.

You must be fast because I was hauling ass when I passed you.

Rich Cox
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:17 AM   #6
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
But you can say that about just about anything on a car.

Lots of folks running around with a "stoppable" car.

I don't have a front plate, for example, like a zillion other folks. But even then, cross the limit line, 31 in a 30 MPH zone, didn't use your signal...if a LEO wants you over, you're getting pulled over -- covered plate or no.

In the meantime, I see a lot of out of registration cars. My neighbor has a "brand new" truck who's temp plate is way out of date.

This stuff is enforced, just not heavily.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:33 AM   #7
Starpower
Veteran

12% Contributor

Motorcycles: '14 BMW S1000R, '13 Zero S, '01 Artic Cat 500 4x4 '13 WR250R '21 Kuberg Ranger
Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjeff View Post
How do you guys (LEOS) handle those ubiquitous fold-up, hitch mounted bicycle carriers that block the entire plate? If you guys cited each one of those you'd have no time to do anything else.
I too wonder about this.......
Starpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:54 AM   #8
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjeff View Post
No bicycles on them and no front plate is a stop.
2002 Honda CBR600F4i (track) | 2009 Suzuki GSXR-750

Current:
2009 Suzuki V-Strom 650
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #9
gixxerjeff
Optimistic Underdog

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Gotcha. Thanks.

You must be fast because I was hauling ass when I passed you.

Rich Cox
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #10
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
I used to tell the teenager daughter: "Look, that's a cool license plate frame that obscures your registration tag. If you want the police to have an excuse to pull you over, that's ok. If you don't, get rid of it. Up to you."

She shit canned it.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #11
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
There's an easy fix for that.... garden hose...

Now the most I think that can happen is a LEO would pull you over and say they can't read your plate. Can they give you a citation? Yes Can they find other things to give you a citation for? Yes

Here's a story about my birthday. I was out driving from a restaurant after a birthday celebration in Santa Clara. I'm driving the my Mitsubishi Galant VR4 my friend and his daughter in the car. I get pulled over not far from the restaurant on the way home and they said I had expired tags. I knew my registration was coming up soon but it wasn't expired yet and I told them that. They ran it through their computer and they said it was fine. They said they pulled me over because they couldn't read the MONTH sticker on my plate because it has faded over time, it's a 1991 car. They didn't know what month my registration expires. So there's nothing wrong right? Well she tells me I have too much window tint and that they could give me a ticket for it but they are going to let me off. Then I tell her it's within the legal limit, how can you tell it hella dark right now anyway. like she thought my windows were blacked out or something. It has like 15% tint. Anyway they let me go and it kinda ruined the rest of the night for me. So later that week I go to AAA and grab a brand new month sticker (for free I might add) and put new month sticker on my plates.

So can it give them an excuse to pull you over? Yes and can they try to get you for something else while their at it? Yes

Last edited by HadesOmega; 06-20-2021 at 11:06 AM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote