R3DS!X
Whatever that means

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: Energica EVA Honda 919 DR350
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Not in California.

Freeway legal in most states I think, but 150cc required here, so I expect even typical 150s don't qualify, at 149cc.
Curious if they could technically give me a ticket when riding my Energica on the freeway. It doesn't even have 1cc
Old 11-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #32
mrzuzzo
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Yeah I don't think the cops care about that law.

Was Gromming down Hwy17 this morning, got a guy on a Ducati Hyper to move over in the split to let me pass, eventually he caught up to me and did a double take. Then I got on 85 at some point and was in the left pretty much the entire time.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #33
maidenfan84
Veteran

Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi V7 Classic
Name:
Not interested in an E-bike, just not my thing..thank you for the suggestions on it, though. I'm just looking for a stock bike, won't be making mods in it at all. At this point, I'm thinking between the 135 and the Grom. Grom is cool but the prices, even used, are ridiculous. People riding the piss out of them and then trying to ask full price. Honda quality is a great factor. The TNT using an oil filter instead of a screen, a fifth gear, etc is definitely a great plus for that bike. Not to mention a $2600 price tag new. Just going to have to test ride both and go from there.
maidenfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #34
mrzuzzo
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Stock for stock the Benelli is better for sure and will be faster.

What's questionable is the reliability/parts for it. The Honda is bulletproof.

Also, the Grom valve clearance adjustment takes about 10min to do so there is that. It's really well thought out.

I added a clutch cover on my Grom that has an integrated oil filter to make things easy.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #35
R3DS!X
Whatever that means

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: Energica EVA Honda 919 DR350
Name:
How much reliability do you really need? you gonna tour on the thing? or is it just for laughs?

I'd go for the Benelli.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #36
redtail
only ones and zeroes

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: <LIFE><! Ride until..></LIFE>
Name: Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenfan84 View Post
People riding the piss out of them and then trying to ask full price.
Trust me, it's the only way they're ever going to be ridden, if you want to get anywhere, you're going to have flog the stock motor senseless. Not sure what you're used to riding, but these bikes are not quick by just about anybody's definition.
redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:54 PM   #37
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Grom has been updated since this old thread. More power, actual oil filter, 5-speed. Not sure what else. 2022 MSRP seems to be $3399--which is cheaper than some used older generation Groms on CL. Tax? I'll pay it on either bike new or used.

What updates have the other two bikes gotten?

The TNT135 still costs less, though it looks like its other advantages are reduced. And it's probably still heavier as well.

I wonder how the bikes would stack up against each other now?
Old 06-17-2021, 04:49 AM   #38
novaks47
Rookie

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Name:
The TNT is quite a bit heavier at 255lbs, the Z125 is 225, and I think the Grom is about the same as the Z. I considered getting a TNT not too long ago, as Fremont Kawasaki had them on sale for around $2700 before tax and fees, etc. I do like the engine design a bit more, but I didn't care for the extra weight(a bit more effort to get into my van), and maintenance looked like more of a pain on the TNT(mainly getting at the valves). The Z and Grom come apart in a few minutes, where as the TNT has more fasteners and things to take apart than my Ninja 1000. For a play bike, I wanted maintenance to be as easy as possible. Sure, it's not that big a deal, but I already have other vehicles taking up my time, so I wanted to make it as easy as possible. I was also worried about parts availability on the TNT. It's still a cool little bike, it just didn't fit my wants. I'd still like to ride one though.

Ended up with a used Z125. I love it! It makes me grin like a kid at Christmas time, every time I see it and ride it. First time I rode it, I felt like I as doing something illegal, like riding a pit bike on the street.

Last edited by novaks47; 06-17-2021 at 04:50 AM..
novaks47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:10 AM   #39
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail View Post
Trust me, it's the only way they're ever going to be ridden, if you want to get anywhere, you're going to have flog the stock motor senseless. Not sure what you're used to riding, but these bikes are not quick by just about anybody's definition.
That's how I ride my Super Cub it's gutless so I gotta wring every last HP out of it. From what I hear if you don't modify them they are really reliable you can beat on it and it won't care.
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote