mlm
Contrarian

AMA#: 874813
Contributor ++++++++ BB

Motorcycles: Yes
Name: OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
...I really don't see that the extreme and non-extreme measures have shown us much difference(s) ....
I'd beg to differ on this point. All things equal, I'd expect CA to have massively higher rates than more rural states because the population density and the fact people travel more (both locally and distance)

The number of different people I come in contact in my home town is a fraction of what I'd see back in Cupertino. Every winter is a lockdown here!
mlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #992
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++++++ 2%

Motorcycles: M900
Name: Mateusz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Matt's posts below this are quite on point in that thinking.
I think you are thinking too much into it. It's just a statistic amongst many others. Trailing indicator of the impact of the virus on a location. Something to trend and that's about it.

FWIW: in my internal reporting, I don't even share deaths because I don't want to derail the conversation. And then in my analysis, I tend to do 2 week comparisons of deaths because of the lumpiness in reporting and then average out to a day. Helps with the above trend as mentioned above. I tried 7 day SMA and it's just ugly.
Cygnus 12.02.10

Last edited by Yakoo752; 12-30-2020 at 10:03 AM..
Yakoo752 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:51 PM   #993
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakoo752 View Post
I think you are thinking too much into it. It's just a statistic amongst many others. Trailing indicator of the impact of the virus on a location. Something to trend and that's about it.

FWIW: in my internal reporting, I don't even share deaths because I don't want to derail the conversation. And then in my analysis, I tend to do 2 week comparisons of deaths because of the lumpiness in reporting and then average out to a day. Helps with the above trend as mentioned above. I tried 7 day SMA and it's just ugly.
I think you're right on thinking too much into it Matt. Good health to all those reading this and participating. I really don't like seeing the deaths and ICU'd patients.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:43 PM   #994
CDONA
Home of Vortex tuning

Motorcycles: Triumph scrambler, TW200, Monkey
Name: # 44659
The truck finally got me here, in the woods outside of Custer SD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3239.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	544601  

All vaxxed up

Started hammerin' Honda 90's around Berryessa, Summer of Love '67
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:27 AM   #995
CDONA
Home of Vortex tuning

Local news has been comparing Wyoming vs South Dakota here in the Black Hills.
We get weather from the Sheridan direction, and it is fairly close.
WY is listed as tenth to the worst for infection rate, SD is first for lowest rate.
And tying with Florida for the best tourist market recovery.

I imagine this will change in a couple of weeks

Psssst, , there are sport bikes in SD

All vaxxed up

Last edited by CDONA; 07-20-2021 at 07:29 AM..
Old 07-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #996
CDONA
Home of Vortex tuning

It happened last nite on local Fox news,

The bombshell, "Superspreader" first I've heard this year speculating about 81st Sturgis Rally.

Also had a talking head reporting of the last years 'rona positive tests on SD locals after the 80th. Something about only 200 for last years event.

That seems low.

All vaxxed up

Old 07-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #997
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
It happened last nite on local Fox news,

The bombshell, "Superspreader" first I've heard this year speculating about 81st Sturgis Rally.

Also had a talking head reporting of the last years 'rona positive tests on SD locals after the 80th. Something about only 200 for last years event.

That seems low.
1) I don't think we were doing sufficient contact tracing to even know. Since so many come from other states, and possibly bring the infection home with them, the true number is likely far higher than we know.

2) I seem to recall that SD was in the bottom few states as far as per capita infection rate prior to Sturgis, as well as ND. A few weeks after the rally, both states were among the top few states as far as per capita infection rate. Seems likely that was a direct result of Sturgis.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #998
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
North Dakota is still #1 for cases per million, South Dakota is #3.

I suspect that Fox is pre-empting other warnings, trying to put in their take first and under-reporting the actual impact. Their followers will eat it up and ignore any other stories about it that don't fall in line with what they've reported.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:00 AM   #999
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
North Dakota is still #1 for cases per million, South Dakota is #3.

I suspect that Fox is pre-empting other warnings, trying to put in their take first and under-reporting the actual impact. Their followers will eat it up and ignore any other stories about it that don't fall in line with what they've reported.
Wow, you're right. I hadn't looked in a long time. And those are two of the least populous states. They don't have population density. They should be among the lowest. They were until Sturgis last year. Apparently, that had lasting effects, I'm sure combined with other issues. Wouldn't be surprised if both states had a lot of anti-mask anti-vax types. Just looked. North Dakota is right around 40% vaccinated, and South Dakota is around 46% vaccinated.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #1000
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

South Dakota's governor is very anti-mask but I think the people of the state opted for vaccine after they got hit so hard last year.

Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:56 AM   #1001
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
As far as I'm concerned CA governor and US pres is anti mask... should follow Los Angeles lead.

This whole return to normal is like a hormonal teenager shooting his wad at the mere sight of pussy.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #1002
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
As far as I'm concerned CA governor and US pres is anti mask... should follow Los Angeles lead.

This whole return to normal is like a hormonal teenager shooting his wad at the mere sight of pussy.
Two words: Recall Election

Also, this whole new surge is 100% driven by the anti-vax crowd, if they had gotten vaccinated like and when they should have, this would be a big nothing burger.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #1003
Jammer
Rookie

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name:
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Two words: Recall Election

Also, this whole new surge is 100% driven by the anti-vax crowd, if they had gotten vaccinated like and when they should have, this would be a big nothing burger.
Governor Larry Elder anyone? I hear he has no experience other than a right wing radio talk show, which makes him the leading candidate.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:26 PM   #1004
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Goldilocks
Name: Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post

As far as most people are concerned, they're likely anti-mask. I for sure am anti-mask. I don't want to wear a fucking mask all the time I'm out in public. This shit reminds me a lot of the punishments we used to get in the Army where the leadership knew the easiest and most effective way to get the message through to the lowest rungs on the ladder was to make life suck for everyone collectively so that the, er...collective...would begin policing their own internally so as to reach the desired outcome that the leadership wanted in the first place but either found was too difficult or time-consuming to achieve or knew that it would be so unwanted by the vast majority that they didn't want to deal with the hassle of making the effort to just force everyone to do it in the first place. Either way, the goal was still achieved. In short, "get smart or get big". It worked.

On the other hand though, I'm not ant-science nor am I willing to bury my head in the sand to save political face. I understand that wearing a mask actually works. Well, wearing a mask correctly actually works, anyway (ie: not "dick-nosing"). It doesn't work as well as getting vaccinated does, but it certainly helps. However, if all these dumbshits who do not have a legitimate medial reason to not vaccinate would just fucking get vaccinated, chances are we'd all likely stand a far lower chance of needing to wear a mask except in some very specific situations. But, since the aforementioned people still and likely always will exist, this will likely turn into a lifetime issue for at least a generation.

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin

Last edited by Kornholio; 07-23-2021 at 10:28 PM..
Kornholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:20 AM   #1005
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
I think we would still have a problem if everyone who could get vaccinated did so and wore a mask because there is still a large enough population segment that cannot, and the vaccinated still get infected and shed virus. And then there's what's happening in the rest of the world. I keep thinking, this global issue started from just one infection... Who knows what's in the oven waiting to be released.