BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Notices

Old 07-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #16
Frame Maker
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: sportbikes, dirtbikes, and some odd bikes that I've built myself.
Name: Julian
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

oh man, those were the days ...

spent a lot of time in the AFM pits gazing at the AK-1 Shawn was campaigning in the late '90s ...

here's a pic of another EX500 based racer from back in the day that I'm guessing you'll remember:

raced it in '99 and missed a chance to test it against your AK-1s, which I regretted ... guess this bike won the 500 Twins class in 1999, 2001 and 2006 ...

re: the OP, returned to the track after maybe 15 years away, and had a good experience with Z2 and Shawn ... could not believe how slow I'd gotten.

just ran in the C group with a clapped out VTR250 ... though anything like speed was gone, my lines were still smooth and predictable, so I don't recall any issues ...

will be interested to see the AK-1 fitted with a two-stroke engine (RZ350?).
Last I heard the plans for the Gibson were an electric motor ...

thanks for the memories and your cool EX500-based bikes over the years ...
always loved that Kawasaki engine ...
John, Its great to hear from you after these years. I think I still have photos of The Gibson taken in your driveway just before it went to Kevin.

Ya, Shawn and Tom had some epic battles with Kevin in 2001. If we hadn't missed the first race of the season the ending might have been different... but that's racing.

Wow, I knew that Kevin still had the bike, but didn't know he was planning to go 'lectric with it. I'm not sure if I like that idea or not... humm?

Ya, the new bikes will use RZ350 engines. I've had so many people asking me about frames for those, and now they are making a big resurgence. With all of the aftermarket RZ/Banshee engine parts available its now possible to get big Hp out of those engines. Since building the AK-1s, I've continued building custom bikes, but none were really race bikes. So these new bikes will be back in that territory.

I'm anticipating exactly what you described going back to the track after many years away.... I still know what to do (and not to do), I just don't think I'll be very fast.

Likewise, thanks for the memories!
Frame Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #17
Frame Maker
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: sportbikes, dirtbikes, and some odd bikes that I've built myself.
Name: Julian
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
... get your feet wet first and check the bike out without having to try to push it.

Then move up...
Yep, this is exactly the plan
Frame Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:11 AM   #18
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frame Maker View Post

I'm already talking off-line with that Reilly guy... so all set, just need to get the bike finished and set a date.
Ask him if he can help get your bike with a carbon fiber belly pan out of your truck without dropping it on the tailgate and cracking the belly pan.

He'll know the deal...

Shawn's awesome BTW, as you know. Good choice with Z2!
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #19
Joshman
-

Motorcycles: sv650
Name: Josh
Quote:

On a side note, Josh, the offer is still open if you ever want to race an AK-1 in 500 Twins for season.
Oh man, that would be pretty fun. I still need to re-learn how to race (haven't seriously ridden since my crash), but once my confidence is back I seriously may take you up on your offer
AFM #438
TWF Racing
Joshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #20
Joshman
-

Motorcycles: sv650
Name: Josh
Quote:
By the way, I'm planning to visit Zoran sometime in the next few days if you need anything shuttled to / from. Just thought I'd mention.
As of now, I think I'm good. Thanks for letting me know tho!
AFM #438
TWF Racing
Joshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:20 PM   #21
Demoni
Veteran

Motorcycles: 99' Ducati 900ss, 04' Aprilia RS50, 97' BMW F650, 00' BMW R1150GS, 05 CRF250R
Name: Chris
You might want to check out the supermoto/kart tracks at Sears Point or Stockton Little 99. Fees are a fraction the cost of a big track event. Not sure what specifically you are trying to test but if it's not high speeds it could be a good first shake down.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote