Notices

Old 10-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #16
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
I look at 'skill obsolescence' more as 'skill replacement'. Every time we remove or ease off with one skill, another gets more important and/or difficult. Slippers and engine braking controls make blipping easier and less important. As a consequence we can go faster on corner entry, which makes braking and corner entry more difficult. Sure, I could enjoy cruising around at the same lap time - but my competitive side wont allow that.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #17
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Robert, that's absolutely right. Whatever attention gets freed up by something getting easier, will get consumed by trying to get the most out of every other action that's left in riding.

Prior to auto-blippers, had you asked me how much attention I put on downshifting, I'd have said "very little," as in less than 2%. Having used auto-blippers and experienced how much more time and attention I have available at a turn entry, I now know downshifting was a more demanding activity than I had thought.

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #18
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Ya, we take for granted the skills that are muscle memory or feel easy. I was helping a friend with setup and took his bike for a session, a 15' Gerloff R6. I didnt realize until riding out of the pits that the shifting was opposite and the shifter was nowhere close to where I needed it. I now had to deal with 10x the mental strain for shifting and my lap time suffered a lot . I'm looking forward to removing mental strain when I finally build a 17+ R6 with a good autoblipper tune.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #19
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
I've got the autoblipper on my 17' R6 and R1 and for the life of me, I can't get used to it. Coming from the 2010 with no autoblip, I'm too hard wired to slip the clutch on entries a bit still. The autoblip actually makes me think about if things are working right or not...I need to trust it more.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #20
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

I slip the clutch on some entries and not on others. The gearing and slipper can't be perfect for every corner. So that's my solution. I doubt that will change when I get an autoblipper.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #21
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

The trust part is hard to get used to so far...but getting better.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Old 10-22-2020, 03:44 PM   #22
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZX-6R RSV4 Panigale 899 Ninja 300 FZ-07R
Name: Gravisman
I look forward to having a good autoblipper one day, and I’ll take a bike that has one over one that doesn’t, but I definitely relate to the trust issue. Mostly what I have found is that when I push the shift lever for a downshift expecting the autoblipper to engage, it can feel like there’s a noticeable delay between my input and the shift actually happening. It’s not quite as “right when I say” as I got when clutching myself.

Motorcycles turn by harnessing the pure power of awesome directly from the soul of the multiverse. Motorcycles make physics their bitch.
Gravisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #23
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
I've got the autoblipper on my 17' R6 and R1 and for the life of me, I can't get used to it. Coming from the 2010 with no autoblip, I'm too hard wired to slip the clutch on entries a bit still. The autoblip actually makes me think about if things are working right or not...I need to trust it more.
They seem to work best when you close the throttle all the way and leave it closed. The guys I see having trouble with them are either using the clutch or manually blipping a little bit.

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #24
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

That might be my issue: using the clutch. Worth a try to slow the entry down some to make up for trust issues and see if it works where I'm comfortable with it. In the end, I'm not as enamored with them as many riders are. Getting old sucks...

AFM #6 2020
Old 10-26-2020, 07:52 AM   #25
FourThreeSix
Tall Guy on a Little Bike

Motorcycles: 2019 ZX-6Rrrrr
Name: Gordon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
That might be my issue: using the clutch. Worth a try to slow the entry down some to make up for trust issues and see if it works where I'm comfortable with it. In the end, I'm not as enamored with them as many riders are. Getting old sucks...
Trade ya!
FourThreeSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:56 PM   #26
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

oooo.....that sounds spicy!

AFM #6 2020