Notices

Old 02-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #31
dittoalex
Too much lean angle...

Motorcycles: Zero SR, Mana GT
Name: Alexandru
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post
I'm confused as to how the new Zero is any better than the previous models, besides the sleeker look and (finally!!) TC..
It's a full size bike, the SR is more 7/8th's scale with its 110/140 tires. Dual rotors up front, which it will need with the extra weight. Variable rate brake regen, the current is binary and lacks refinement.

Mind you the 10% drop in range is terrible. The SR needs to be hypermiled in eco mode to get 90% of the worst projected range. Range numbers are inflated.
dittoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #32
R3DS!X
Whatever that means

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: Energica EVA Honda 919 DR350
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post
I'm confused as to how the new Zero is any better than the previous models, besides the sleeker look and (finally!!) TC..
Better charging system, new dash, better brakes, better suspension, more power, Traction control, better tire selection. Should I list more or is this enough?

Last edited by R3DS!X; 02-25-2019 at 02:54 PM..
R3DS!X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #33
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBob48 View Post
How about fork oil? How about brake fluid? Do those count?
You can say whatever, eh? Dry weight was fuckin dry. They still lie at times.

I was trying to point out the irony of the weight of the energy: gasoline has 124K BTU’s per gallon, or maybe six pounds for the eqivalent charge of an electric moto. That energy’s mass is E/ c2. Pretty small.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #34
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Goldilocks
Name: Jason
Random posting, but I'm 95% certain it was Butch that passed me on 101N on Saturday with an electric dirtbike mounted on a tow hitch ramp on the back of a Land Rover.

White motorcycle with a BARF sticker on the side...

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #35
redbull
Veteran

Motorcycles: 950ADV, 900RR, FE350, TE250SM, DUKE390, CRF230, CRF150, Z125, COTA 300, TXT125, TTR125
Name:
https://www.visordown.com/news/new-b...getting-closerNot much detail around Kawi's patent for something electric using ram air (and gears), but focussing on cooling is critical for any hopes of sustained high performance.

I fully expect the future of Sea/Ski-Doo to use the Alta tech and integrate cooling in as almost all bodies of water are cooler than the air we ride in and also if you are on a snowmobile, the air is likely pretty cool.

And as for gears, I hope the larger manufactures offer gears at least on some models.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #36
UDRider
FLCL?

Contributor

Motorcycles: The lulz machine.
Name:
Quote:
How about fork oil? How about brake fluid? Do those count?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
You can say whatever, eh? Dry weight was fuckin dry. They still lie at times.

I was trying to point out the irony of the weight of the energy: gasoline has 124K BTU’s per gallon, or maybe six pounds for the eqivalent charge of an electric moto. That energy’s mass is E/ c2. Pretty small.
Not sure what you guys getting wind up about.
I would point out gasoline powered bike is heavy if it's 500 pounds. Dry weight, wet weight whatever.

FFRF fighting for our rights not to live under religious government, and Christian nationalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
no. nothing against strippers. just have never completely trusted anyone in sales and marketing.
UDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #37
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
The range drops from 161mi city to 82mi at 70mph. What about at actual highway speeds, around 80mph?

What is the charge rate off a 110 outlet?

I am glad the zero is now closer to a 'real size' bike, but it still doesn't compute for me. The $20k price tag and lack of range. I feel like the customers are still going to be those who want to support the idea of electric bikes, not those wanting to make a logical decision.

Why still no fairing?
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #38
R3DS!X
Whatever that means

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Why still no fairing?
Because god hates you.

I really don't know its a common request. maybe to cut down weight and cost?

Quote:
I am glad the zero is now closer to a 'real size' bike, but it still doesn't compute for me. The $20k price tag and lack of range. I feel like the customers are still going to be those who want to support the idea of electric bikes, not those wanting to make a logical decision.
I hear ya but you're paying for something more than a ZX6R that costs 20k vs a R6 at 11k. What if the 20K ZX6R had almost no maintenance, didn't need to be warmed up before riding, you never had to visit a gas station. Was almost dead silent, had a unique riding feel and response, doesn't produce a lot of heat that wafts up to you at a standstill, doesn't produce a lot of vibration.. If the range fits into your commuting needs its an easier sell and an even easier sell of you have a second bike for out of range trips/rides. I't still early adoption tech, so the cost of a small production vehicle is higher. The cost of these will come down as it moves more into mass market and hopefully the battery technology will advance to allow more range and less weight and (fingers crossed) faster recharge times.

Last edited by R3DS!X; 02-26-2019 at 10:03 AM..
R3DS!X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #39
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS!X View Post
Because god hates you.

I really don't know its a common request. maybe to cut down weight and cost?

I hear ya but you're paying for something more than a ZX6R that costs 20k vs a R6 at 11k. What if the 20K ZX6R had almost no maintenance, didn't need to be warmed up before riding, you never had to visit a gas station. Was almost dead silent, had a unique riding feel and response, doesn't produce a lot of heat that wafts up to you at a standstill, doesn't produce a lot of vibration.. If the range fits into your commuting needs its an easier sell and an even easier sell of you have a second bike for out of range trips/rides. I't still early adoption tech, so the cost of a small production vehicle is higher. The cost of these will come down as it moves more into mass market and hopefully the battery technology will advance to allow more range and less weight and (fingers crossed) faster recharge times.

Is visiting a gas station really that big of a deal? Even when I was commuting 70 miles a day on a bike with a 2.5 gallon tank, I could be in and out in less than 2 minutes. That seems a lot easier than finding a charge station and sitting around for an hour.

I really really want to like them, but now is not the time. Which is tough because how will they get money to make better products without people willing to buy their bikes? Once the prices come down enough to be competitive, I think we will see a faster transition to electric bikes.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #40
mxrider89
just another dude

4% Contributor

Motorcycles: Daytona 675R CR125 EXC450 YSR50
Name: Colton
so on the lightening your looking at a 200HP ~495lb
a suspension from a Daytona 675 , fully floating rotors, for 13k. says on a level 2 charger full charge in 120 min. i'm curious how long it would take on common use track day generator. not sure how the power/weight ratio works out on that but with advancements in batteries im sure that weight will come down in the future and if you can fit a full charge in 30 min that thing would be a reasonable toy. I agree with the previous statement though , there really should be a electric section on BARF. with out a doubt it IS the future of motorcycles.

Im not sure about other manufacturers but lightening using solar seems significant in their potential future success
Rip #69

Last edited by mxrider89; 02-26-2019 at 11:27 AM..
mxrider89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #41
R3DS!X
Whatever that means

Name:
Quote:

Is visiting a gas station really that big of a deal? Even when I was commuting 70 miles a day on a bike with a 2.5 gallon tank, I could be in and out in less than 2 minutes. That seems a lot easier than finding a charge station and sitting around for an hour.
It might seem like a minor thing because you're used to it. My bikes charge lasts my entire commute so I just plug it in when I get home. Not having to stop by a gas station and fiddle with the slow ass card machine, pulling my cards out, having to wait if there is a bunch of people, trying to rush if I'm running late to work. I just don't have to deal with that.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #42
R3DS!X
Whatever that means

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrider89 View Post
There really should be a electric section on BARF.
I was thinking of suggesting that since there seem to be a lot of electric moto threads popping up. But when sub forums get made they usually result in less input and sharing of info.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #43
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Oh, I think we have a winner:
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/
Looking pretty good, who's going out for a test ride?
110HP, but "only" 124MPH.

I guess it's governored to keep from draining the battery.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:57 AM   #44
dittoalex
Too much lean angle...

Motorcycles: Zero SR, Mana GT
Name: Alexandru
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDRider View Post
Not sure what you guys getting wind up about.
I would point out gasoline powered bike is heavy if it's 500 pounds. Dry weight, wet weight whatever.
The battery weight is lower, so my 414 lb SR rides like a 350 lb bike. Until you add the power tank with its 50 lbs of top-heavy.
dittoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #45
BillyBob48
Rookie

Motorcycles: Fat Bob 114
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
110HP, but "only" 124MPH.

I guess it's governored to keep from draining the battery.
I'm sure there will be someone who "fixes" that problem aftermarket.

I guess if you're looking for a runner, the Lightening LS-218 is your bike: 200HP, 218 mph.

Anyway, this is an exciting time. I can't wait to trade my ICE for EV...
BillyBob48 is offline   Reply With Quote