tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewd_Ferrigno View Post
On a two lane canyon road, the sharpness shouldn’t be that different, if at all.
The radius for a given turn is absolutely different if you're taking it as a right or going the other direction and taking it as a left. I think that's what Aware means by "sharpness."

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #32
Lewd_Ferrigno
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 93 CBR900RR 2014 MV F3 800
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
The radius for a given turn is absolutely different if you're taking it as a right or going the other direction and taking it as a left. I think that's what Aware means by "sharpness."
I’m talking Canyon road, where there aren’t sharp turns from a stop.

Your radius is set by the double yellow.

The roads are purposely designed for positive camber, as it assists in draining the road. The camber is more positive at the inside of the turn, effectively making the forces acting on the bike hold you in the turn.

Sharp is a perception.

I’ve also ridden on English roads. From a typical 90 degree street turn, the difference can be confusing.

Last edited by Lewd_Ferrigno; 05-05-2019 at 05:12 PM..
Lewd_Ferrigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #33
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewd_Ferrigno View Post
I’ve also ridden on English roads. From a typical 90 degree street turn, the difference can be confusing.
There's nothing confusing about it; it's a geometric certainty. Yes, camber can be a factor, but not all roads are crowned the way you describe.

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #34
Lewd_Ferrigno
Veteran

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
There's nothing confusing about it; it's a geometric certainty. Yes, camber can be a factor, but not all roads are crowned the way you describe.
You’re right again, as there are no variables introduced into that geometry. Everything is perfectly linear. Sound logic. As far as camber, sharp turns are way more likely to be positive camber, by design, in the mountains or canyons. It’s basic infrastructure design. What would be the net traffic effect of a negative camber turn on a mountainside?

And your contention is that, after having been taught to ride on one side of the road, your entire life, having to switch to the other side requires no brain training? Solid.

Last edited by Lewd_Ferrigno; 05-05-2019 at 05:33 PM..
Old 05-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #35
Lewd_Ferrigno
Veteran

Contributor

I’m done. Sick of you jumping on every damn post. Later
Old 05-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #36
Aware
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda
Name: Steve
Look at the image in post #7 above. Imagine what the road looks like when you turn around and come back. That left-hand sweeper is no longer a tight turn, and you have a much easier time seeing around and through the turn. It is easier to take that turn faster from the other direction. And likely with greater lean.

Also

If I fuck up a right-hander by going in too fast, there's a good chance that I'll put myself into a head-on collision. If I do the same on a left-hander, I go into the weeds.

This and the reduced visibility, plus the very high likelyhood of cars pulling gravel into the turn mean that I approach blind right-handers with much more caution than left-handers.

If I can see ahead and through the turn (not a blind corner) then I turn the wick up. 8-)
Aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #37
dtrides
Veteran

Contributor ++++ + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono Factory for the street, Sv 650s for the track
Name: Duncan
I might add to also read up and practice trail braking on those tight blind corners.
I use this along with late apex approach when riding unfamiliar tight roads with lots of blind corners.
DT
Old 06-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #38
rcgldr
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2001 Hayabusa
Name:
Either I missed it or it wasn't mentioned. One issue I have with right turns in canyons is if inside of the turn is a solid rock wall or other obstacles, like trees, preventing you from taking the inside line.
rcgldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #39
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
Mod Alumni
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgldr View Post
Either I missed it or it wasn't mentioned. One issue I have with right turns in canyons is if inside of the turn is a solid rock wall or other obstacles, like trees, preventing you from taking the inside line.
Like this?

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #40
Aware
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgldr View Post
Making it a blind corner with gravel on the 'racing' line. Yeah that slows me down on right handers.
Aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:34 AM   #41
therok229
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Ducati Elitist
Name:
After riding for 20 years, I still hate right turns Wife is more comfy in them.

http://www.phamphoto.com
therok229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #42
kneedraggeroldy
Rookie

Motorcycles: FJR1300 R6 KLX300R
Name: Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
Like this?

THIS is a whole nother breed of riders....just amazing race is the Isle of Man.....on the bucket list to go see one of these
kneedraggeroldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #43
vaara
Veteran

1 Rider Contributor

Motorcycles: 2018 V-Strom 650
Name:
When I rented a bike in New Zealand a few years ago, the guy specifically recommended practicing right-hand U-turns, since we so rarely need to do them in this country.

As far as SF is concerned, if you want to level-up your right-hand turning after a stop, you could do worse than practice turning right from 17th St. onto Roosevelt Way. Very tricky because the geometry of the turn and, especially, the topography.
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #44
Beanzy
Wind free

Motorcycles: Huh?
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin829 View Post
For the life of me I can never get comfortable with right hand turns in the mountains. Couple reasons. Most right hand turns are blind. If there is gravel in the road most likely that side. If you happen to low side then you slide into on coming traffic. I’ve been a motorcyclist for 10+ years and still can’t feel comfortable. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Stop worrying, stop thinking. Turn with your chin and shoulders leaning towards the inside mirror. This manuever will help in turning in curves and in seeing beyond the turn. Take the turn outside-inside-outside. And practice in a parking lot initiating a turn, sitting up, and then emergency braking.

Better yet, take an intermediate riding course with the CMSP. I recommend Pacific Motorcycle Training. I took their IRC class recently and it taught me how much more I need to learn as a rider.

"Killing people is a bad habit." -- Lady Matsuta to Sanjuro.

Last edited by Beanzy; 01-25-2020 at 07:35 AM..
Beanzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #45
Starpower
Veteran

12% Contributor

Motorcycles: '14 BMW S1000R, '13 Zero S, '01 Artic Cat 500 4x4 '13 WR250R '20 Kuberg Ranger ariving next month!
Name: Jeff
I'm right handed and have always found R-turns uncomfortable. The theory I came up with is that subconsciously I'm guarding my dominate side. Some of the already stated makes sense to some and perhaps I'm full of it (ok, I'm full of it mostly). However, no one else mentioned this so I'm tossing it out there as I'm the same way on the track.
Starpower is offline   Reply With Quote