Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Notices

Old 05-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
Voltzz

Motorcycles: Ninja 400
Name:
First highway ride - some questions

Hi guys,

I'm a new rider on an N400 and just went out for my first highway ride today. Two things bothered me when going ~80mph on 880 and I'm not sure if they're normal:

1. I wear EarPeace plugs, but despite that, all I could hear was the wind (no car sounds, barely any engine rev). It wasn't at all painful, but is this how it's supposed to be? Am I damaging my hearing by not putting the EarPeace on correctly? Any tips to fix this?

2. Above 70 mph, there was a lot of wind pushing my bike around and also bouncing my head up/down and side to side, especially when checking my blind spots. I have a good helmet (RF-1200 with vents open) and tried to lean my body toward the front of the bike and loosen my grip, but it didn't really help. I didn't veer off my lane, but I felt like I was constantly fighting the wind and can't imagine riding 1+ hours like that. What am I doing wrong?
Voltzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #2
ejv
Untitled work in progress

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono
Name:
Likely helmet fit around the base. Most noise comes up from the base around the neck and to the ears rather than through the helmet. When I wear a balaclava, I can ride without ear plugs. The wind noise goes down drastically.
Otherwise I wear custom Westones. Either way all the sound goes down, wind included.

As far as getting battered around that could be a pressure differential or bubble where your head is or just not a very good handling helmet. Or again if it's a really poor fit it will move around a bit. I don't have any experience with the Shoei. But each of my helmets have handled differently in high speed air.

You might looking into adjusting the windscreen to something different. That works for a lot of people. I have mostly ridden naked bikes so I don't worry about that. I just worry about the helmet.
ejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
ejv
Untitled work in progress

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono
Name:
BTW I borrowed a friend's ninja 400 for a few weeks and did about 100 freeway miles. I don't recall any unusual noise or feel from the wind. I'm about 5'11" if that helps. IIRC I wore both my Corsair V and my RPHA 11 Pro when riding it.
ejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
thepretender
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 S1000R 2014 VFR800
Name: Doug
Could be that the windscreen puts the wind where it hits your helmet and causes buffeting.

Slow down until you get a bit more experience this will let you relax more it is likely holding on too tight increased any instability.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
We are irregular shapes traveling though a dynamic medium. Get used to it. Some equipment can make it less dynamic, but hey, it is dynamic. Enjoy the challenge. Embrace the skilz required.

Be gnarly. Be the best.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #6
Pking
Humble Rider

Motorcycles: Suzuki 1250FA
Name: Pat
Agreed to all said. I would just add that wind pushing, and wind noise is going to happen to some degree when riding on the freeway. Those are just the dynamics and nuances of being out there in the elements on the motorcycle vs riding enclosed from the elements in a car. You'll get use to it as you keep putting miles in.
Pking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #7
Voltzz

Motorcycles: Ninja 400
Name:
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not too bothered by it, just wanted to make sure I'm not doing it wrong. Sounds like it's just a matter of getting used to it for the most part!
Voltzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #8
Gary856
Are we having fun yet?

Motorcycles: WR250F, 690SM, R1200GS, MTS1200, 950SM, XB12X
Name: Gary
I don't know how well EarPeace ear plugs work, but with properly worn/working ear plugs the wind noise is greatly muffled, about the same as when you're driving a quiet car with windows closed. You should be able to hear the engine, the exhaust, and other ambient sound. Try to insert the plugs deeper into the ear canals. I test the effectiveness of ear plugs by clapping my hands next to each ear. When the plugs are properly inserted, I could hear the hand claps at a much lower volume, without the sharpness.

It takes a little time for your neck to get stronger to withstand the wind blast. When I was a new rider, my neck used to get sore from the wind pushing against the helmet, especially when I turned my head sideway.
Gary856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:34 AM   #9
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Make sure your Earpeace plugs are correctly sized for your ear and you have the correct attenuators installed.
The best you'll get with them is 26 dB attenuation advertised. Cheap drug store foamies are 32dB. Something odd about Earpeace is they rate their attenuators as SNR, signal to noise, which in my mind is miss-leading so I don't know if their attenuation ratings are even legit. I use Etytomic ear plugs for concerts and they appear to be the same as the Earpeace. The Etytomic do not attenuate all frequencies equally so you can hear music more dynamically. I would not use them for riding.
Watch a vid on correctly inserting ear plugs and try a set of foamies to see if it's any better. I see many riders incorrectly wearing ear plugs.
Hearing loss is cumulative. I have hearing loss and tinnitus and wish I had taken better care of my hearing in the past. Tinnitus sucks. Protect your hearing.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: CB125T, EX250, Ninja250R race bike, CBR250R(MC19), CBR250RR(MC22), VF500F, CBR600RR
Name: Danno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltzz View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not too bothered by it, just wanted to make sure I'm not doing it wrong. Sounds like it's just a matter of getting used to it for the most part!
Yeah it’s normal. You’ll really notice it when there’s crosswinds or wind coming at you from angle. Try different position of head, up & down. I found double-bubble windshield on my Ninja 250 really helps with noise and gives me 2-3mph higher top-speed.

I’ve also put a 1” dent in top of tank to put my chin into, helps get helmet below top of windshield.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 05-31-2020 at 12:30 PM..
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:35 PM   #11
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Right on man...

The wind part will become normal too you. At times heavy winds will challenge you but it all comes together after a while.

I have never had custom ear plugs myself. I just use the orange construction grade ones. I still hear a bit of wind.. a bit of my motor. I am sure that will become normal to you as well.

Have fun man...
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:58 AM   #12
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
There's a chance that your helmet is a size too big. It should be pretty snug on your melon when new. Not to the point of pain but enough to squash your cheeks a bit. If it's at all loose, it will dramatically increase wind noise and the helmet wobbling around.

Mad
Old 06-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #13
fiteg

Motorcycles: 2020 KTM Super Duke GT 2016 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepretender View Post
Could be that the windscreen puts the wind where it hits your helmet and causes buffeting.

Slow down until you get a bit more experience this will let you relax more it is likely holding on too tight increased any instability.
+1 on grip pressure

get your weight onto your pegs, tuck down a bit, grab the tank with your knees and go jelly from the waist up
fiteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #14
FoolishMortal
Gary J: Ride in Peace

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: F800s
Name: Atticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
There's a chance that your helmet is a size too big. It should be pretty snug on your melon when new. Not to the point of pain but enough to squash your cheeks a bit. If it's at all loose, it will dramatically increase wind noise and the helmet wobbling around.

Mad
My thought exactly.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:34 AM   #15
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepretender View Post
Favorite rule of thumb from a traffic school instructor a zillion years ago.

"If you're holding the wheel/handlebars too tight, you're going too fast."

It's a simple metric that reflects your comfort factor with your environment.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote