Name:
Jeebus I detest MacKeeper.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #32
W800
Old Curmudgeon

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki W800
Name:
Resurrecting old thread since I have noticed from looking at our work server logs that there's an increase in attempted intrusions.

It's easier now to block spyware and adware. I am not a big fan of anti viral or anti spyware apps. I think they tend to suck up a lot of computing resources. I also suspect they slurp your browsing data now and resell it.

To get some protection without the hassle -

#1 - run Brave on your computer and phone:

https://brave.com/

It blocks a lot of things, and you can turn off blocking as needed. You can also run Tor. It's based on the Chrome engine, so works just like Chrome, just not as creepy.

#2 - run blokada on your phone:

https://blokada.org/

It uses filter lists to block as much or as little as you want. Google Play store doesn't like it, since it defeats Google ads. So for Android, you have to download the apk. For 5 EU per month, you can also run a VPN on it.

Blokada blocks all ads, BTW. Even those in apps. So every "freemium" app is now free. No more ad banners. You can whitelist apps if you want to support developers.

#3 - at a network level (like a home or work network), run Cloudflare Gateway.

https://www.cloudflare.com/teams-gateway/

It uses Cloudflare's network to filter packets before they get to your network. Basically it works like a super granular DNS server, where you can pick what the network can see or not see. It *should* still be free right now. I might have gotten grandparented in.

#4 - don't go to sketchy sites. this is the main one, BTW.

#5 - https://www.wireshark.org/#download

^^^ that's for people who want to see whether or not their anti viral programs actually slurp their data. . .

W800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #33
BillSmith
Mild Hawg

Motorcycles: HD 2011 FXDF Dyna Fat Bob
Name: Bill
.Pushing this old thread to top was a nice walk down memory lane. Thanks.

My contribution is to remind all of here on the West Coast that we are three hours behind New York and a whopping 7/8 (depends on DST) before sunrise in London.

Got an email with an attachment, link or other potential exploit. Just check tech-related news outlets in the UK or East Coast. Someone will have already had an oops moment and a corrective link/warning probably posted.

Better to learn from other's mistakes. Especially in these matters.
Sometimes a bike is just a bike.

Last edited by BillSmith; 09-12-2020 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: poor punctuation
BillSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:32 PM   #34
W800
Old Curmudgeon

Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmith View Post
.Pushing this old thread to top was a nice walk down memory lane. Thanks.

My contribution is to remind all of here on the West Coast that we are three hours behind New York and a whopping 7/8 (depends on DST) before sunrise in London.

Got an email with an attachment, link or other potential exploit. Just check tech-related news outlets in the UK or East Coast. Someone will have already had an oops moment and a corrective link/warning probably posted.

Better to learn from other's mistakes. Especially in these matters.
Welcome! And amen!!! We have been using G Suite, and it's pretty good. But I do the same thing you do, when something seems sketchy. I also sometimes look at the entire email (headers and stuff) to get a sense of origin.

Of course G Suite is absolutely not private. I was thinking about switching to Protonmail for my personal email. But my life is boring enough that such things don't matter, lol.
W800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:06 AM   #35
rodr
https://in-oz.com/

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
I recently switched to Opera on my Android phone, mainly because Firefox imploded on its recent update. It's quite good and includes what they call a free VPN (actually a web proxy).
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #36
W800
Old Curmudgeon

Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
I recently switched to Opera on my Android phone, mainly because Firefox imploded on its recent update. It's quite good and includes what they call a free VPN (actually a web proxy).
Yes. Opera is cool! At least on my home/work computer, I think my ISP is throttling their proxy, lol.

When I just run Opera, with their proxy/VPN - I get 57 down.

When I run Opera, with their proxy/VPN - BUT *through* my own VPN, I get 144 down!

When I run Opera, without their proxy/VPN, but through my own VPN, I get 459 down. Max (no VPN) is theoretically 600 to 700.

For the tests, I let Ookla pick the best server. I guess I might be able to get more speed if I try different ones.

For my VPN, I am running Open VPN on a "burstable" 2 VCPU cloud server, then I set it to run up to 10 instances of the actual VPN server process. Normally, you set it to run one instance for each VCPU. But I was experimenting, and figured out that the burstable cloud servers will let you do strange things like this.

I need to get a life, LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	operavpn-no-personalvpn.png
Views:	9
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	537239   Click image for larger version

Name:	operavpn-personalvpn.png
Views:	9
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	537240   Click image for larger version

Name:	opera-personalvpn.png