Cabrito
cabrón

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Mostly Red with big Orange spot
Name: Michael G
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
I was relatively certain, that I wasn't a cot person, but y'all are making some compelling points. I may have to reconsider my stance.

And from a cheapo cot I just looked up: "After installation, please don't use it with a sudden impact force, please normal smooth sit or lie down, please keep in a state of balance. " What, I can't bounce on it?
On my cheap cot I have to be careful with movements. I rocked forward adjusting once and it slid forward falling off of all the feet. I had to turn it over and reassemble the legs onto the cot frame. It was a pain, but just took a minute.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:29 AM   #47
norcalkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: DL650
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDan View Post
Totally agree on not going all out on gear. I'm on a budget so I've got to make sure I get the most out of what I spend.

The only thing I may go fancy on is a cot instead of sleeping pad. I've never been able to sleep well on those when I was doing the boy scout thing with my son, and now that I'm way older, I know that I'm going to have to get something more like a cot if I hope to get anything resembling sleep while on the road.

I've seen a couple MotoCamping youtubers use them.

I think this is the one - review : https://youtu.be/W3tQids996Q?t=876

https://helinox.com/collections/cots...xoCnA8QAvD_BwE
I think you gota remember your not carrying it on your back. So you don't really need the ultralite/ultra expensive stuff. Good quality but not the crazy expensive backpacking stuff.

I use a Outdoor labs air mattress(I think a Chinese knock off of the brand name ones??). It's the kind that's a bunch of diamonds so you don't slosh around like on a traditional air mattress. I also use the blow up pillow which is surprisingly comfortable(looks like Outdoor labs has one similar to mine I'm not sure of my brand). I think you can get both for about $49 on Amazon. (note, I think there are different length pads so make sure to get the right size, I'm not sure which I linked.) I have only used this pad on a few trips so can't say how they will hold up over time but so far I'm impressed. Sleeping on these new diamond style ones is nothing like the air mattresses we grew up with.

I think this is it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RJI-TPFS90

Last edited by norcalkid; 09-21-2020 at 05:33 AM..
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:43 AM   #48
norcalkid
Veteran

Name:
Also check out the BRS 3000T stove. Dirt cheap and IMO fine for casual use. I really just use it for coffee in the morning. Works fine.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:22 AM   #49
EBDan
Rookie

Motorcycles: R3, F750GS
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalkid View Post
Also check out the BRS 3000T stove. Dirt cheap and IMO fine for casual use. I really just use it for coffee in the morning. Works fine.
Thanks for the recommendations. I like the BRS 300T stove...great price and packs small.

Awesome information from everyone posting!
EBDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #50
norcalkid
Veteran

Name:
I also like this atlas. I rip out the pages I'll be using that day and stick on tank bag. The reason I prefer this one is it has a lot of public campgrounds listed. So if I'm tired I just look for a cluster of campsites and I will find something in what's probably a nice area.

Can see I changed original plan when I saw how big/crappy highway 90 was and came down 89 headed to a cluster of campgrounds just after Red Lodge, before Yellowstone. Ya, I'm still figuring this out too. haha
IMG_20200921_124050 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

IMG_20200921_124111 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

Last edited by norcalkid; 09-21-2020 at 12:11 PM..
Old 09-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #51
EBDan
Rookie

Quote:
I also like this atlas. I rip out the pages I'll be using that day and stick on tank bag. The reason I prefer this one is it has a lot of public campgrounds listed.
I've added that Atlas (2020 version) to my Amazon Wishlist. Reminds me of the days of the Thompson Bros Maps I would have in my car before GPS Always good to have a non-electronic map as a backup.

Do these campgrounds typically allow drop ins, or do you need to stop where there is cell/data service to setup a reservation?
Old 09-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #52
norcalkid
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDan View Post
I've added that Atlas (2020 version) to my Amazon Wishlist. Reminds me of the days of the Thompson Bros Maps I would have in my car before GPS Always good to have a non-electronic map as a backup.

Do these campgrounds typically allow drop ins, or do you need to stop where there is cell/data service to setup a reservation?
Both, I mean all I have been too allow drop in. Doesn't mean there will be a spot left for you in high season. That's why I look for areas with a couple of them.

Last edited by norcalkid; 09-21-2020 at 01:03 PM..
Old 09-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #53
EBDan
Rookie

Quote:
That's why I look for areas with a couple of them.
I figured that is why you look for those areas