dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
That guy is full of sh*t. The gear were down. You can see one of the main gear laying on the ground behind the fuselage. The gear was ripped off after the aircraft passed over an irrigation ditch.
The Prescott Foundation, owners of the aircraft, in their news release stated that the aircraft had a mechanical malfunction.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:18 AM   #47
msethhunter
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '98 VTR1000F, she's a fatty! '89 YSR 50 with a 150, she said "it's so cute!"
Name: Mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
That guy is full of sh*t. The gear were down. You can see one of the main gear laying on the ground behind the fuselage. The gear was ripped off after the aircraft passed over an irrigation ditch.
The Prescott Foundation, owners of the aircraft, in their news release stated that the aircraft had a mechanical malfunction.
They either ran it out of gas, misconfigured the fuel system, or one of the switching valves failed.

There doesn't appear to be any fuel spilled in the late night photos, and there was no post crash fire. Twins don't typically have mechanical problems that take out both engines at once and most of the time when you have that much damage the airplane is consumed by the post crash fire from the fuel spilling everywhere.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:44 PM   #48
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Would need to see the props to tell if the engines were running or not.

There's a thread going on Beechtalk about Old Glory.

A couple of issues, there is a master mag switch and a crossfeed valve that could have caused both engine to quit.

I pulled this from the thread.

It may not have been an actual dual failure. The Flightaware track ends around 5-7 nm from the runway with them descending at approach speeds.

I have a few hours in a B-25 and the one thing that was impressed on me in training was the high VSSE. The B-25 doesn't have a published red line/blue line, but generally 145 mph is considered the safe single engine speed. VMC is around 125mph. If they had already put the gear and flaps out and lost an engine on the approach, they might not have been in a position where they had enough altitude to clean up achieve 145mph before increasing power to climb out.

Not trying to claim that is what happened or speculate, but just offering a possible scenario that someone might have interpreted as a dual engine failure.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is online now   Reply With Quote