BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
N4teTheGreat
Noob!
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Knoxville Devilhead Rd as part of the ADV / DS ride?

Looking to add this on to the stickied ADV/DS ride. We'll be on proper dual sports (DRZ and WR) and it looks like this'll add on a little extra fun. Is this an awesome idea or a terrible idea? Neither of us are hard enduro level riders, we're more like blue trails at Carnegie level riders. Just looking to maximize dirt / fun on this ride :-D
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, 94102
Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
good idea!

we did the KLR/ADV/big-bike stuff through Knoxville BLM a few weeks ago ... usually think of that north/south entrances loop as a traditional part of the Second Sunday ride (I think of Knoxville Devilhead Rd as the north entrance).
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
San Francisco Motorcycle Club
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 11-20-2020 at 10:22 AM..
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
N4teTheGreat
Noob!
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Great, thanks for confirming! I missed that ride as I'd already committed to a weekend Sierra ride (not that I was mad about winding my way through the Sierras) I need to start making some group dirt rides so the DRZ can collect dust the right way instead of due to sitting in my garage

We're mostly following the main route but if there's anything we should add on I'm all ears!

Tentative route (largely borrowed from the ADV sticky)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
good idea!

we did the KLR/ADV/big-bike stuff through Knoxville BLM a few weeks ago ... usually think of that north/south entrances loop as a traditional part of the Second Sunday ride (I think of Knoxville Devilhead Rd as the north entrance).
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, 94102
Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat View Post
Great, thanks for confirming! I missed that ride as I'd already committed to a weekend Sierra ride (not that I was mad about winding my way through the Sierras) I need to start making some group dirt rides so the DRZ can collect dust the right way instead of due to sitting in my garage

We're mostly following the main route but if there's anything we should add on I'm all ears!

Tentative route (largely borrowed from the ADV sticky)
that's it, it's the route I take from Lower Haight ... works well as a gateway to the Mendo NF from SF. enjoyed your map link, thanks.

the south entrance to Knoxville BLM is the closest dirt road to my garage in the city, I think ...

they lock the gate at the top of Reiff Road in the winter ... usually after the first big rain storm. usually someone will post on ADVrider.com when that happens, and I have not seen that post, yet. better riders than I am insist you can ride around that gate, but it looks scary to me ...

have fun!
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
San Francisco Motorcycle Club
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
N4teTheGreat
Noob!
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Good to know abour Reiff Rd. Nice thing about the DRZ, you can just drag it around things if needed! I'm not too far from your garage (my garage is on Webster and Waller) I've been to Carnegie and Metcalf so I'll be interested to get a taste of Knoxville particularly as it does look like less of a slog to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
that's it, it's the route I take from Lower Haight ... works well as a gateway to the Mendo NF from SF. enjoyed your map link, thanks.

the south entrance to Knoxville BLM is the closest dirt road to my garage in the city, I think ...

they lock the gate at the top of Reiff Road in the winter ... usually after the first big rain storm. usually someone will post on ADVrider.com when that happens, and I have not seen that post, yet. better riders than I am insist you can ride around that gate, but it looks scary to me ...

have fun!
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, 94102
Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat View Post
Good to know abour Reiff Rd. Nice thing about the DRZ, you can just drag it around things if needed! I'm not too far from your garage (my garage is on Webster and Waller) I've been to Carnegie and Metcalf so I'll be interested to get a taste of Knoxville particularly as it does look like less of a slog to get there.
my garage is Fillmore/Page ... imagine I've walked past your garage a bunch.

Knoxville BLM has a bunch of super-gnarly looking trails, I just ride by them on my KLR ...

see you in the neighborhood!
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
San Francisco Motorcycle Club
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
TwoWheelsRule
Russian
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco (Marina), CA
Motorcycles: KLR650
Name: Vlad
Wanted to say hello, as I moved to the neighborhood recently (Pearl St. between Duboce & market) and I walk Waller & page all the time.
TwoWheelsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #8
XXshawnXX
Veteran
 
XXshawnXX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vacaville
Motorcycles: '01 929/'86 XR 640, ape factory 04'
Name: Shawn
I recently tried to get to the waterfall on devils head rd on an africa twin and it was a little tricky. Trying to cross the waterfall was not easy, especially since it was wet and I had ADV tires on. I did feel like graham jarvis trying to pivot wheelie this hog and turn around.

I dont know if i was on DH rd or not but I thought it was? Seemed easy if you can cross the waterfall.
__________________
I broke my femure before... It rocked - seesm
XXshawnXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
N4teTheGreat
Noob!
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Preaching to the choir but that sure if a fun little route, I don't even think we did all of it (no waterfall for one thing) but it was great and the rains earlier in the week had the dirt in perfect shape. Definitely the most entertaining dirt to get to from SF as there's a minimal amount of slab time.

I though Knoxville Berryessa was fun on my hypermotard, it's ridiculously fun on the DRZ though catching the front knobs in one of those big cracks in the pavement was the pucker moment of the day and came pretty close to testing my riding gear.

The extent of the burn is staggering and its amazing to see what was saved and marvel at the skill and hard work it took to do so when everything around those structures burned.

Good fun, I'll be doing this route again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201121_204144625.MP.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	539358   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201121_224550742.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	539359   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201121_230221986.MP.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	539360   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201121_202740467.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	539361   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201121_202257049.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	539362  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201121_194659801.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	539363   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201121_162325534.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	539364  
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #10
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, 94102
Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
it’s a pretty awesome area, feel lucky every time I gat to ride around the zero ton causeway gates ...

I’ve been looking for that waterfall for years, without any luck ...

maybe XXshawnXX can give us some hints about finding it ... guess it wouldn’t be too hard if I ever decided to ride with a GPS.

wonderful pics, thanks!
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
San Francisco Motorcycle Club
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 11-24-2020 at 09:32 AM..
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, 94102
Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelsRule View Post
Wanted to say hello, as I moved to the neighborhood recently (Pearl St. between Duboce & market) and I walk Waller & page all the time.


we should all try to have a Mercury Cafe meet-up (Octavia and Page) ...

had coffee this Saturday morning there with five BARFers, next time Iíll post up in our ďAdventure riding short rides and BS threadĒ to see if we can collect a few more Lower Hight/SF ADVers ...
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
San Francisco Motorcycle Club
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #12
1962siia
Veteran
 
1962siia's Avatar
 
AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + + 4%

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rohnert Park
Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Name: Daniel
John I’ve never been to the waterfall either but I did google the location. Seems like you go through the camp ground instead of past it on the road. There must be a way out the back side of the campground that goes to the water fall. I’m definitely planning to look for it next time I’m out that way. My 200 is down for rebuild so maybe a big bike trip is in order next weekend.
__________________
1962siia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, 94102
Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia View Post
John I’ve never been to the waterfall either but I did google the location. Seems like you go through the camp ground instead of past it on the road. There must be a way out the back side of the campground that goes to the water fall. I’m definitely planning to look for it next time I’m out that way. My 200 is down for rebuild so maybe a big bike trip is in order next weekend.


I’ve walked down the creek from the campground, and came up empty ...

with the recent fires, it seems easier to see old roads on the far side of the stream from the road we climb/descend from the campground, so maybe I’d have better luck now.

think Leo_jb gave me the waterfall GPS data and maybe I used that to look at google maps at home, but I got off the bike and looked hard along the stream ... guess there’s a chance I simply didn’t walk far enough ...

this was years ago, and it was not apparent that there was any easy way to get a KLR beyond the campground along the stream.

wondering if it isn’t further down Devil’s Head Road? I usually make the left off Devils Head heading south towards the campground and have never been down to the Devils Head dead-end/gate.

anyway, been a mystery to me going on 20 years now ...
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
San Francisco Motorcycle Club
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 11-24-2020 at 10:18 AM..
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #14
1962siia
Veteran
 
1962siia's Avatar
 
AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + + 4%

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rohnert Park
Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Name: Daniel
Well the gps coordinates in the first post of the stickied ride thread seem to show exactly where it is and google earth shows a trail heading out the back of the campground to that spot. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a try on the 950 this weekend. I'll post up what I find.
__________________
1962siia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #15
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco, 94102
Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia View Post
Well the gps coordinates in the first post of the stickied ride thread seem to show exactly where it is and google earth shows a trail heading out the back of the campground to that spot. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a try on the 950 this weekend. I'll post up what I find.
that would be cool ... have fun, maybe Cincinnatusís bike lift will appear, too.
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
San Francisco Motorcycle Club
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.