GSwiTch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:54 AM   #47
Flap
Veteran

Motorcycles: Kawi SP12R-05 (ZX12R-01)
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by Adower
That gary rothwell article sounds pretty good. Basically I think hes saying. In 1st gear pull away, get the bike up to 5000 RPMS. When you get there pull the clutch in very slightly, this will disengage it from giving all power to the rear wheel. As the Tach climbs to 7-7.5k let the clutch out smoothly but quick..
And another quote:
ONLY ONE THING. Open up the throttle quickly to full blast

If I do this with the SP12 I am beyond 12 o'clock faster than I can split from it in time....with 134 Newtonmeters at my backwheel....
I would agree to this article in general when comparing average 600-900 ccm engines (given that they are not exceeding overall weight too much).
Watch your weight to horsepower ratio or make a docs appointment prior to trying.

A good racer does not need data, he is in front. The others need data to know why they are behind.
(Nicki Lauda)
Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:01 AM   #48
Flap
Veteran

Name:
And - on emore, if you tend to hold on to the handles when trying, then don't try to use throttle AND clutch since holding on to at least one of them can screw you up (most beginners tend to grab the handles harder when reacting to the unknown) two potential things.
Edit: i gotta explain "holding on", of course you hold on to them anyways, I am talking about holding yourself on the bike with them and therefore transferring interfering with proper handling. Kinda like with a horse, u don't want to hang into the "steering", u do that balancing and holding on with your legs and fet, same with bikes. Sort of explains it I hope....

I'd try the throttle approach first, don't open all the way, work your way up to the perfect acceleration level to lift the front, when u got used to the feeling, go for the clutch version, the clutch is IMHO easier to handle and gives u a perfect 2nd control tool.
When the shit hits the fan you never know what direction it will come from, so be sure to train both ways. Might save your butt....
Ride safe!

A good racer does not need data, he is in front. The others need data to know why they are behind.
(Nicki Lauda)

Last edited by Flap; 10-06-2005 at 09:04 AM..
Old 10-17-2005, 05:20 PM   #49
rhuyr

Motorcycles: 600rr
Name:
ANY TIPS FOR 05 600RR
I USE CLUTCH IN 1st CAME UP ABOUT A FOOT BUT CAME RIGHT BACK DOWN
rhuyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #50
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: Are Gay
Name: Jesse
Quote:
Originally posted by rhuyr
ANY TIPS FOR 05 600RR
I USE CLUTCH IN 1st CAME UP ABOUT A FOOT BUT CAME RIGHT BACK DOWN
Come to a complete stand still, pull the clutch in, rev her up till she starts bangin against the rev limiter (dont roll off of it tho) and just let the clutch out as fast as you can.

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
JesasaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #51
suprafyre
Veteran

Motorcycles: 91 katana on its last legs
Name:
loopy loopy
Old 10-18-2005, 09:31 AM   #52
suprafyre
Veteran

Motorcycles: 91 katana on its last legs
Name:
Old 01-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #53
wicked_900rr
Lalalalala

Motorcycles: Zx10r
Name: NICK
if you know how to wheelie it doesnt matter how skinny or fat you are and it doesnt matter what bike your riding.. if you cant get a new 600 up in second gear.. u should be riding in a car.. all bikes now have enough power to wheelie.. shit i could ride a wheelie ona ex250...and i weigh 260lbs.

wicked_900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #54
Mikey SBF
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: F4i Stunt, 04 GSXR track
Name: mikey
Quote:
Originally posted by JesasaurusRex
Come to a complete stand still, pull the clutch in, rev her up till she starts bangin against the rev limiter (dont roll off of it tho) and just let the clutch out as fast as you can.
and youll be 12ving in no time
Mikey SBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #55
BigCorySBFMC707
Hater of all Haters

Motorcycles: 2008 Harley Davidson Street Glide
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikey SBF
and youll be 12ving in no time
more like 3 oclock flat on your back, lol

http://bigcory.com
BigCorySBFMC707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #56
TRU510
Rookie

Motorcycles: 08 Street Glide 08 WR250X 06 Harley FXDB 05 600RR 07 crf50 06 yfz450 01 yz125 01 FXDXT
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by JesasaurusRex
IN 1ST GEAR? HE COULD BE STANDING ON THE FRONT WHEEL AND I BET IT WOULD COME UP
When you ready for the grand national
TRU510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #57
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: Are Gay
Name: Jesse
Quote:
Originally posted by TRU_SBFREAKS
When you ready for the grand national
Check ur PM's

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
JesasaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:16 PM   #58
Fab
Veteran

Motorcycles: CBR 900, zx-9, gsxr-1000
Name:
stand ups

Quote:
Originally posted by racerx510
yzf600r wheelies, yeah bro sitting far back helps, im a slimer rider so i tend to molest the tank but that way u have to bounce it which hurts your back, i sit towards the passenger seat contour and it comes up pretty cool but standing a little on your pegs and arpund 6k jus gun it with a small bounce it'll come up nice, its hard for me to do it and keep my brake covered so i bent my brake so its within reach to tap it, careful at night though bro
I am working on stand ups right now and am having trouble covering the brake. I was thinking of bending the brake alittle also. Should I bend the brake a little, or is my positioning off and that is why I can't reach the rear brake? Should I be leaning back further when learning stand ups or is it better to lean a little forward towards the front of the bike?
Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:07 AM   #59
Flap
Veteran

Name:
Re: stand ups

Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
I am working on stand ups right now and am having trouble covering the brake. I was thinking of bending the brake alittle also. Should I bend the brake a little, or is my positioning off and that is why I can't reach the rear brake? Should I be leaning back further when learning stand ups or is it better to lean a little forward towards the front of the bike?
Help, it is better to lean a little bit backwards (in case you overdo the wheelie it'll help you to save your butt) and if you mean adjusting your rear set brake lever then yes. Don't "bend" it.

(Nicki Lauda)
Old 03-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #60
wingnutthehutt
Fast Is Relative

Contributor +

Motorcycles: take up a lot of space in my garage.
Name: Carl
As it says on the Gary Rothwell page, ANY modern bike 600cc or larger can pull the front wheel off the ground in first gear without using the clutch. If you're a larger person, this may make it more difficult, but it's still possible. Someone mentioned that if you could wheelie an 80HP Buell than it should be no problem with a 600. Keep in mind that the Buell, although only 80 HP has about 100 Ft/Lbs of torque due the the large displacement Vtwin configuration. That is more torque than any 600 made so far. To the best of my knowledge. An F2 also has about 80hp, but has far less torque.

One of the things we end up reinforcing many times during a wheelie school class is BODY POSITION. Your feet actually play a MUCH larger part than you think they do in how well you wheelie. Make sure that the balls of your feet are barely forward of the pegs. With your feet in this position and your knees tucked to the tank, your lower body will be locked to the bike.

If you DO happen to get up too high and tap the back brake, you're going to slap down pretty hard. If your legs are holding you on, your upper body is much more relaxed resulting in less bar input and more stability. When the bike slaps back to the deck, the front suspension compresses and your body wants to keep flowing forward. If your legs are holding you to the tank, you're not going to fall off the bike, but if you pull a foot off to balance, you change the direction of the gyroscopic effect of the wheels and the bike wants to turn.

To make a too long comment short. Scootcher butt back and lock those knees in. Want to avoid crossing over in front of your buddy? Point the bike where you want to go, look there, and relax those arms.