BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend

Notices

Old 10-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
freshguavas

Motorcycles: 07 SV650N
Name:
T-Boned :(

Hi folks,

Unfortunate way for me to introduce myself to the forum. A day ago got t-boned on highway 1 in my hometown of Half Moon Bay. I think the driver behind me waved in someone approaching the turn lane and he didnít yield to me - likely didnít see me. He smacked me directly on the side of the motorcycle, he must have still been cruising along at 30-40mph and I was doing about 25-30mph, crushing my knee and foot. Launched me about 20 feet to the right and my poor SV650 about the same.

Some good ligament and tendon damage in my knee, broken metatarsal, and hopefully just sprained wrists. If it wasnít for the full face I would likely have shattered my orbital cavity too. Iíve got a plate and screws incoming for the metatarsal on Friday, and tomorrow getting my knee checked out. No neck, back, or torso injuries for that matter. Right leg completely untouched aside from the slightest bit of road rash.

The SV has a cracked crank case, bent radiator, possibly bent frame and/or forks and/or swing arm, some scuffs here and there, ruined set of Vortex rear sets, and slide marks on the passenger pegs, and of course the frame sliders. My claims agent told me it will likely be totaled.

Anyways, hoping to be back to riding sooner rather than later. Itíll probably be some months before Iím back to full health and walking correctly. Looking forward to meeting more Bay Area riders when I can again
freshguavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
First good luck with the procedure on Friday.

Hate to hear that metal bits are needed but pretty common now vs the old days. I got put back together several times without them and 100% they would do that now.

I think the big thing is how long it takes to recover or what the chances for a full recovery is. Mine was a collarbone and an upper arm.

Ligaments can take longer than bones and the repercussions can last much longer. Hopefully those injuries are not bad. Rehab man. Do the work.

The bike. Forget about it. Dime a dozen. Your body parts not so much.
It sucks but the bike can be replaced.

Wish you the best in recovery.

Helmets save lives. Probably saved yours.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: Ď18 Alta EX006, Ď17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Ouch.
Yeah, do everything you can to get your fleshy body parts in order. The rest is not that important.

Meanwhile, tell us some stories. Like, I was T boned once, but I was unconscious for three days, so I don’t remember. Not that story though.

Heal well.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #4
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Time to hire an attorney to represent you.

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:40 AM   #5
bmwbob51
BMWBOB

Motorcycles: 2014 BMW 1200GS 74 Norton Commando
Name: Bob
I had someone wave a car through traffic to make a left turn while I was passing on the right and car stopped dead in front of me when they saw me. I was only going about 10 mph, but couldn't stop in time, jumped off the bike and ran past the front of the car as the bike T boned the front fender. Never fell down, bent forks and driver ticketed. Heal up!
bmwbob51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #6
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Ouch.
Yeah, do everything you can to get your fleshy body parts in order. The rest is not that important.
Especially with soft tissue damage.

Therapy, therapy, and more therapy. Most of the time what the insurance companies cover is not enough PT.

That stuff just takes forever to heal.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
freshguavas

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
Time to hire an attorney to represent you.
Thankfully my insurance is already on it!

I just got back from getting my knee and wrist checked out. Didnít tear any tendons, but my MCL is beat to shit. Wrist has something that looks like a fracture, but it could have been the other multiple times Iíve broken it. So far the soft tissue damage is proving to be the worst of it. I can even wiggle my toes despite the broken metatarsal and only have a dull ache, but if I extend my knee all the way my MCL feels like itís on fire.

As for stories, I can tell you that the truck traded more paint with my pants than the motorcycle if that says anything about the nature of the crash lol. Also sailing through the air was pretty interesting for a moment, but the context quickly made me realize I wasnít going to enjoy it. I got to watch my visor fly off, then my legs were above me and I closed my eyes right before my helmet made contact with the pavement. Pretty sure my leg started hurting before I even reached the ground.

Overall, thankful I still have the bottom half of my leg, no traumatic head/back/neck injuries, and my life for that matter.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #8
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshguavas View Post
Thankfully my insurance is already on it!

I just got back from getting my knee and wrist checked out. Didnít tear any tendons, but my MCL is beat to shit. Wrist has something that looks like a fracture, but it could have been the other multiple times Iíve broken it. So far the soft tissue damage is proving to be the worst of it. I can even wiggle my toes despite the broken metatarsal and only have a dull ache, but if I extend my knee all the way my MCL feels like itís on fire.

As for stories, I can tell you that the truck traded more paint with my pants than the motorcycle if that says anything about the nature of the crash lol. Also sailing through the air was pretty interesting for a moment, but the context quickly made me realize I wasnít going to enjoy it. I got to watch my visor fly off, then my legs were above me and I closed my eyes right before my helmet made contact with the pavement. Pretty sure my leg started hurting before I even reached the ground.

Overall, thankful I still have the bottom half of my leg, no traumatic head/back/neck injuries, and my life for that matter.
Do NOT SIGN ANYTHING your insurance company sends you. NOTHING. Talk to a lawyer, it will cost you nothing and you won't regret it. You company will offer you a payoff, most likely, to not file future claims for any of these injuries. Don't do it.

Nobody knows what long term injuries you have. I was in a rear ender in the eighties that displaced two vertebrae, and I didn't know it until many years later.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #9
freshguavas

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Do NOT SIGN ANYTHING your insurance company sends you. NOTHING. Talk to a lawyer, it will cost you nothing and you won't regret it. You company will offer you a payoff, most likely, to not file future claims for any of these injuries. Don't do it.

Nobody knows what long term injuries you have. I was in a rear ender in the eighties that displaced two vertebrae, and I didn't know it until many years later.
Iíll keep it in mind, thanks for the info. Iíve really never sustained debilitating injuries, that have both kept me out of work and possibly will have long lasting effects, from an accident before, so this is all new to me.

Assuming the other party is ruled at fault, does their insurance deal with most of the medical finances (I guess depending on the amount of coverage they have)?
Old 10-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #10
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Quote:
Iíll keep it in mind, thanks for the info. Iíve really never sustained debilitating injuries, that have both kept me out of work and possibly will have long lasting effects, from an accident before, so this is all new to me.

Assuming the other party is ruled at fault, does their insurance deal with most of the medical finances (I guess depending on the amount of coverage they have)?
There are a ton of variables and you need to talk to an attorney to explain it all to you so you don't screw up.

Call an attorney NOW, yesterday was not early enough.

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #11
freshguavas

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
There are a ton of variables and you need to talk to an attorney to explain it all to you so you don't screw up.

Call an attorney NOW, yesterday was not early enough.
Any recommendations on who I should go to?
Old 10-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #12
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: CB125T, EX250, Ninja250R race bike, CBR250R(MC19), CBR250RR(MC22), VF500F, CBR600RR
Name: Danno
Sorry to hear about wreck! Hopefully youíve got some good drugs to keep pain away so you can sleep.

Agree with others, talk to attourney about this. Your insurance company IS NOT your friend.

Check out http://riderzlaw.com . They sponsor my racing-club and many folks I know.
DannoXYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:32 AM   #13
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

There are several attorneys that sponsor BARF.

When I was hit in traffic several years ago, Scotty Storey's wife did an awesome job. She went back in house but I would still recommend Scotty. https://scottystorey.com/

Old 10-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #14
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:

I never suffered debilitating injuries either, until I found out twenty years later that I needed drastic surgery to repair spine damage.

The fact that you don't feel something now does not mean much. Do not assume the insurance company is your friend.